Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
egypt is 3g inabled but the cost is far to much to use it my daughter used her 3g on her phone for about 1 hour a day and came home to an extra £140 extra on top of her bill for it
I didn't realise how much more expensive it would be to use my phone in Egypt! I'm used to European roaming prices which were high, but not that high! I know that people have already suggested the local sim cards over there but does anyone know what the best one to use is now? The info that was posted on this thread was from a few years ago so didn't know how up to date it was.

Thanks
Can any one help me with this please .can you buy a sim card in Egypt and use it in your own phone ..has anyone ever done this and how do I go about getting one please also would any one know the cost of calls and txts to the UK from an Egyptian sim card ..when we go to India you can buy an Indian sim card and put it in your phone (a lot cheaper ) to tx and phone home just wondering can you do the same in Egypt thanks.. Colleen
Take an unlocked phone with you, you can buy an Egyptian sim at any phone shop.........usual networks are vodaphone or mobinil

not sure about prices in Sharm but in Nuweiba they are around 20/25 LE you then buy credit from 20LE up to 200LE, the shop will set it all up for you.

The costs are around 50pts plus destination connection charge, around 60pts per minute to phone UK. That is to another mobile not a landline. Make sure folks at home ring you or text to your UK phone as they will get charged alot to contact you on the egyptian phone.
Thank you for your quick reply nodocdoe am I right in saying 50 or 60 pts is about say less than 10p so it would cost in and around 10p a min to call a mob ph back in the UK or Ireland ...do you know how much it is to send a txt please

Bluemoon have a lovely time :cheers we go on Monday next week ....colleen
Irishcolleen..

That's right it's roughly 10p per minute.
As far as texts I used my UK phone to text as if you used "egyptian" one I'm not sure how much the receiver would have to pay as it's from a foreign sim card.
Hi,Can anyone offer me advice on dongles in egypt please.We are travelling to Sharm in 3 weeks,the hotel we are staying at has no wifi and their internet charges are high. My son of 18 wants to take his laptop so he will be able to talk to his girlfriend who is unable to come with us.Is it possible to buy an unlocked dongle in the uk and then just buy a pay as you go sim for it in Egypt or would it be better to buy the dongle in Egypt.Also does anyone how much the pay as you go sims are and roughly how long they will last,my son will just be going on facebook,msn etc,sorry but not up on dongles or very technically minded,lol.
Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Many Thanks
Tracy :)
I've got an iphone & an O2 contract. I don't want to bring the phone or my contract to Egypt abroad - just incase!!!!

So I'm thinking a cheap old handset, I'm sure I've got one somewhere & a PAYG sim.

What provider should I use? Will mainly be for texts.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.