Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
we have just got back from sharm tock moble but only text,for some reason my boss tryed to phone me while i was over there . did not anwser of coarse but text back reminding her were i was , i do not know weather i will be charged for this as i did not anwser the call , will let you know about that pat.
You wont get charged if you did not answer. Always turn off voice mail though.
Next time i go i am going to buy an egyptian sim card for £10 and get cheap calls from sharm!!!!!!!!!!
hi,

when in sharm last year i used my three contact phone to make just 1 call to my father in the UK, the call lasted 8mins 34secs, and guess how much.................................................................

29.45 for just than one call, and my wife got charged 1.25 for one text!! also on her three contract phone

not happy at tall,

yours,
brad
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Nuweiba that sell egyptian(?)sim cards - and how much do they cost.

What is the local roaming network that is best to lock onto if you use your UK mobile in Nuweiba?
Hiya, not sure what you are looking for exactly, but I'm off to Sharm on Thursday so contacted Orange for my PAYG phone. They said that the phone will automatically switch to the new Network when you arrive & switch your phone on. They also gave me £3 credit for use whilst I'm out there!!
Hi Bexmark,
Have just returned from Nuweiba and purchased a sim card for my orange phone.

You can get a Soliman car, or you can get a taxi from outside the hotel, we stayed at the Coral Hilton, I think I have seen your name on this site and believe you might be staying at Hilton. Anyway, if you get a taxi outside, ask for Ahmed or Tamer, they are reliable. The security on the gate have their numbers or mostly one of them are outside sleeping in their cars. Get them to take you to the phone shop called Vodaphone in Nuweiba City, about 10 mins max by taxi. The sim card cost me 350 Egyptian pounds, then another 100 Egyptian pounds for top up, then I had to have my phone unlocked which was 50 Egyptian pounds. Get the guy in the phone shop to check it all works though. The top card only works for 30 days, then it expires.
BIG WORD OF WARNING> I had a phone call about three days after I had visited the shop from this guy in the shop chatting me up and wanting me to meet him, so make a big point of saying you are married or take a man with you. Texts cost about 5p each and its cheaper to ring UK after 8pm. I think it was about 35p a minute and 40p before 8.00pm. If you are ringing locally its not expensive. Anymore info you need let me know. If you are going to do this go in the afternoon as you wont find anyone to take you around 4.30 as its close to the time they eat as its Ramadam, although it may have finished when you go, and they wont get back in time. I wouldnt go at night as its very dark and you cant see what or where you are going. Also, negotiate the taxi to wait with you and bring you back or you could get stuck in the middle of a typical Egyptian town and if you havent been anywhere like that before, it could be a bit scary. Good luck.
regards
Helen
use mobinil tourist line - it only lasts 60 days - and you can get mobinil credit all over - Much better than buying a permanent sim card as its really cheap - not sure of the price as fiance pays for mine. It saves me from paying roaming charges on o2 !!!!

It is sold as a tourist line, in an orange cd box with the pyramids on it!!!

There is only mobinil and vodaphone.
Well the most convenient way is to get a local sim card , the tourist Line is a perfect choice ,since I work at Mobinil the- provider operator :wink: ,unless you are going just to text message the UK . The line will costs 25 LE connection fees then you top it up ,it is a temporary line, lasts for only 60 days ,the local min. costs 0.75 LE ,message 0.50 LE whether local or International &the international call to most of Europe countries costs 4.25 LE peak hours & 3.75 off peak ,charging cards available at any POS ,for more info you can follow the link http://www.mobinil.com/roaming/egypt/touristline.aspx
is there an echo in :wink: here.......
Would anyone know if I will be able to get a local sim card at Cairo Airport?

Most likely we will be staying at Le Meridien Pyramids - are there stores where I can purchase it if there is none available at the airport?

Thanks so much.
hi, unfortunatly you will not find an outlet selling sim cards at the airport but if you are going to stay at Le Meridien Pyramids you will find dozens of POSs selling local sim cards at the area ,Mobinil's main branch next to you is located at 363 El Haram St Akhnaton Mall 2nd Floor just 10 mins drive away from you ,a taxi costs 10 LE max.

perfume ,I was just confirming your info.... :oops:

cheers
Hesham

What outlets in Nuweiba sell these?
You will find 2 outlets in Nuweiba :

- El Amir no.11 the new market
- Horus El Mina St. beside Misr Bank

it is easy to find them, they display an orange sign with Mobinil's logo on it .
Now you are all technophobes you may be tempted to use G3/GPRS roaming facilities to access the internet, emails etc, but beware as the charges are horrendous, with one chap picking up an £800 Orange bill for his holiday.
Full comment on roaming and the mobile companies is (hopefully as the last one didn't work) here or more here
Hiya im off to sharm el sheik on the 5th Jan

While im away my parents may want to call ( too see if i arive ok etc)

They would be calling from their UK mobile ( as it is a cheap international sim card) and wil be calling my Mobile phone in Egypt,

What i wanted to know is what will they have to dial apart from my mopbile phone number to reach me? like dialing codes ect?

any help on this would be much appreciated!
If you'll have your usual sim card, then just the number - no code. But be warned, you'll probably get charged for the call too.
Dear All

I returned from Luxor in October and we used my husbands mobile, for very quick calls to our taxi driver to come and collect us etc. Each call was probably no longer than 30secs, however we got charged £1.50 just to connect our call. We ended up with a phone bill of over £180. :shrug

The best advice I would give, is NOT to use your phone at all :no :no

We did follow all the relevant advice, however it still was very expensive.
Just be careful!!!

Peggy
Went to Sharm in December and made about 7 calls home from my mobile which is with t-mobile, obviously kept calls as short as was politely possible in total probably but total extra on my bill was only £19, a pleasant suprise.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.