Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
You should get the signal up on the headland in the large resort hotels but not right down on the beach itself.
Hi Steve , your mobile will work, I just ring orange up the day before I go and they sort it for me, Have Fun
Love SB xxxx
Thanks again Swiss and SB, this site really is the biz! :lol:
Hope you only want it for personal calls. Leave your work behind and enjoy yourself.
ive been to both sharm and on the nile from luxor right upto lake nasser and my phone worked fine, im with O2 and signel was good.
Thanks for the other replies; I am taking the phone for purely personal reasons. R & R is top of the list on holiday! :sun
Be Careful

I used my phone in Egypt last year and was unpleasantly surprised by the bill. I think it cost about £1.40 per minute plus VAT to make and receive a call :yikes . Texts were normal at 35p. I was with Vodaphone if that makes any difference.

Regards
Thanks Briarskeg

Should have read this before going :bhead

Regards
Yes we also got a shock when our bill arrived, we are with Orange. Never seen a public phone box while we were in Sharm.
Checked with Orange and got their pricing

Calling out £1.30 a minute
receiving 80p a minute

texts 30p each

here's the best bit

PHOTO MESSAGING 25p a message

Guess who's sending a few photo's back instead of texts

Aparently they haven't got a pricing structure and so standard prices apply
HI

Can anyone tell me do UK mobiles work in Egypt I am on Vodafone pay as you talk.

THANKS
KAREN
Yes they do providing it is set up for roaming. I'm on 02 and I've only got a dual band phone and it worked perfectly.
Having said that, I tended to keep in touch by text and only used voice calls twice. At £1.70 a minute I kept contact to a minimum. On O2 I am used to paying £1 from Canaries, Continent etc. but £1.70 I thought a bit steep. I said to my kids to only ring me in an emergency (as you have to pay to receive calls as well)
Hi - can I ask how much it cost to receive calls on your mobile and how much it cost to send and receive texts?

Thanks

Eirian
As I said I'm on O2, here are their rates, assuming you are not subscribed to overseas discount rate. This costs £2.50 a month an doesn't include texts, so I don't subscribe.

Calls made or received whilst abroad in Egypt

Calling Back to UK £1.70
Receive call (whilst in country) £1.65
Calling Same Country 77p
Text Message (to UK or whilst in country) 40p

Or put quite simply, b****y expensive. Hence why I tell my kids not to ring me unless the house is burning down.
nothing to recieve texts thankfully, on o2 i think they reduced the text price not sure what to but certainly not more than 40p each. My mum and sister had a problem last time I went when they were sending texts from their orange phones (they were in england) for some reason they got charged lots! they got the money back though.

Do remember as well if you make a call from some of the hotel phones they charge you after a certain number of seconds...even if you don't get through to who you are ringing!

I tend to turn my answer machine off when on holiday as I can't retrieve voice mail. If I had it my way i'd leave my mobile at home and just tell family where I was in the event of an emergency :!: how did we all cope before mobiles :wink:
I had a Virgin pay as you go when I was in Sharm last week. Altho I could send messages fine (35p each I think) I could not receive them! I tried changing networks, trying my sim card in my husbands phone etc and called Virgin (at a cost of £2) but it wasnt resolved.

I was pretty p*****d off cause I love texting...sad I know.

I am writing to Virgin to tell them anyway because I checked first on the net that I could use my phone in Eygpt. :?
My daughter has just come back from Sharm with a £420 T Mobile phone bill, :x

She was only there for 2 weeks

So be very careful who you call and who calls you, because you also have to pay to recieve the call :shock:

Also if anyone leaves a voice mail on your phone you get charged for listening to it , you can have voice mail disabled before you go if you call your service provider

Plus sending a text cost more than they do here in the UK

My advice is call your provider and ask about call charges it may be cheaper to have international roaming or just send text messages and only use your phone in an emergency
I don't wish to sound rude Brit5Alpha but is that your daughters first trip abroad. I say that because as I posted earlier the call charges to Egypt on a mobile phone may be the highest I have ever paid. But they are never cheap. For example £1.70 from Egypt to UK per minute, but they are £1 from Spain. The point I'm making is that her ridiculous bill of £420 would still have been over £200 from most tourist destinations. I don't think many people would acccumulate that sort of bill and must say she is a bit naive and should have checked before she left.

Edit - I just read from another topic that your daughter is only 17. My apologies, things like mobile phone bills don't come into the occasion when looking forward to a holiday away from parents at 17.
HI All

thanks for the comments and suggestions ref my first posting on phone calls.

I have checked the Vodafone site, and found the following
Basically Egypt is in Zone 6 (the dearest) and calls to the UK will be charged at either 149p or 169p depending on local network, and received calls will be 125p text will be 49p plus any domestic rate.

So I think I will be incommunicado as they say - I will have to send postcards for the first time in years!

But it did remind me that I could check the costs on the web site, also the discussion group reminded me about turning off the voice messaging, and checking the roaming facility so thanks to everyone.

Regards KAREN

Happy holidays everyone

Calling the UK & same country: Calling zones 1&2: Calling Zones 3,4,5 & 6: Receiving a call: Sending a text:
149p 169p 195p 195p 125p 49p"

"Call prices listed are per minute and inclusive of VAT where applicable, minimum call charges apply. Inclusive minutes and inclusive text messages do not apply to Vodafone World." Plus applicable domestic rates.
"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.