Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Sorry to be a dimbo, never taken just hand luggage before but it's the format of measuring the bag? Bought a holdhall bag with wheels, so it is 52cm x 28 x19
So to measure do I stand it up or just leave it length wise, being neurotic but I know how tricky airlines can be :D
Looking at Monarch they say 56cm x 45x 25 and 10 kilo's.

Do they regard width as height?
littlemissgreedy,

Measurement of bags is done in the baskets that you see dotted around the airport. If it won't squash in to one of them, it's too large for travel. The one you have is well within the size limit, just turn it 90 degrees and once you squash down a little, it'll be fine.

Darren
Hi
Does anyone know if the Monarch flights NCL-SFB are being operated by Monarch aircraft? I did hear they were being done by Thomas Cook A330?
Thanks
Sunaddict,

Have you got a flight number? Dates of travel? I'm asuming it's the MON309/8? This is a Monarch Airlines operated charter.

Darren
Thanks Darren. Sorry it's MON309, no exact date but will be school hols July/August.
Am travelling Manchester>Lanzarote on A330 with wife and two kids. Am thinking of upgrading to extra legroom which I believe are at the front of cabin in former 'premium' seats. Is anyone able to confirm if these seats still have seat back TV's? If so, do monarch still offer inflight entertainment on flights to the canaries? If they do, do they have the seat back tv's on for short haul flights?
I went out to Lanzarote on an A330 last year and home on an A300, and went for the extra legroom (premium cabin) on both flights. Going out there was no seatback tv in my seat, 2A. There was entertainment on the way out, but I can't remember if there was any coming back because I rarely bother with it.
gcn999,

Seating in the forward cabin on the A330-200 is Premium Economy. However, it's only extra legroom when used on short haul flights, you don't get the full premium economy service. IFE is available to the Canaries. Extra legroom seating is located in the forward cabin as well as exit rows and the outer 2 seats on the rear 6 rows. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Hi, new to the forum.
Flying with Monarch for the first time in April.
Off to Hurghada from Gatwick. MON6946. Do they use standard 3-3 configuration type aircraft for this route.
Many Thanks.
trucknut65,

Welcome onboard :tup
LGW-HRG-LGW (MON6946/7) are operated by an Airbus A321-200 (normally G-OZBI). This is a narrow bodied aircraft configured 3-3. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Hello

I just wonder can you tell what aircraft will be flying on 31th march MON4578 From Gatwick to Taba? And return 4579

Do they consider flights to Egypt as a long haul now?

Thanks
cahirUK,

Egypt is classed as short (medium) haul, not long haul. Long haul is normally classed as inter-continental flights over 7 hours. LGW-TCP-LGW (MON4578/9) are operated by Airbus A320-200. You'll find extensive aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Back in December I posted quite a few times about the changes to Monarch's Goa routes during January & February 2012.

They usually operate A330s which can fly non-stop but changed to A300s which stopped in Kuwait outbound & inbound (then changed to Bahrain stop-overs).

I've flown on the Gatwick - Goa MON2490/MON2491 many times, twice a year over the last 5 or so years.

The outbound flight on the A300 (MON2490 on 18th February) was very cramped.

In my opinion, based on recent personal experience of outbound and inbound flights (I had the opportunity to compare the 2 within the space of 3 weeks), the A300s have significantly less legroom than the A330s.
It was not a pleasant experience at all.

The A330 inbound definitely had more room, many people who'd flown out on the A300 remarked on that fact.

Seatguru showes the seat pitch of the A300 as 28/29" and the A330 as 31", although Darren's post 'Which aircraft am I flying on' shows both as 30" pitch.

I'm less than 5 feet tall but even I found the legroom on the A300 pretty dire.

I know it says 30" seat pitch for both A300 & A330 but I'm totally convinced that the A300 we flew out on didn't have the same legroom as the A330 we flew back on.

As I'm not very tall, I have my hand luggage rucksack on the floor so I can put my feet on it.
On the A300, I had difficulty actually getting it down onto the floor between my seat and the back of the seat in front.
On the A330, there was lots of room - as there has always been (for me).
My rucksack contained no less stuff on the inbound journey, in fact it had more in.
Prettypollycat,

Seat pitch and legroom aren't strictly speaking the same thing. Seat pitch is the amount of room the seat is contained within and is the measurement between two seats at the same point, normlly the front of the head rest to the same part on the seat in front. Varying seat designs can make an inch or two's difference in actual legroom even though the seat pitch is the same, hence why more modern aircraft are now using slim seat designs. The A300's have a slightly older seat design than the A330. I know you have little choice with flights to Goa, but personally, I don't fly Monarch longhaul for their lack of seat pitch.

Darren
Dazbo
I think my point is that (for me personally) the A330 is perfectly comfortable for long-haul flights, the A300 is not.

I've not noticed it before but on Seatguru, it says (about the A300):

Beware the pitch is extremely tight and the seats very narrow on this A300-600, making this aircraft rather uncomfortable

I think most of the passengers who travelled to and from Goa on this aircraft would agree that that is a bit of an understatement!
I echo those thoughts regarding Monachs standard seating (cattle class) and we pay a little more to get the extra legroom to be able to have a more comfortable journey. To those who complain about Ryanair they should travel on Monach and see how lucky they are relating to the amount of legroom they get.

Regards Chris
I'm sure you will be glad to know that Monarch will be increasing the seat pitch on their A300's from this month on. They intend to remove 26 seats from the cabin and these will all be from the standard seats and not the extra legroom section, which will remain as it is. Some may have also noticed that the A300's will be retired gradually over the next couple of years with the first one going at the end of this summer, the next in 2013, and the last 2 in 2014. The company will announce their replacements over the next few months.
That may be good news to some, partyboy_uk, but I think Monarch have angered a lot of people over the substitution of the A330s for the A300s on the Gatwick and Manchester Goa routes for, in some cases, over 2 months.

It might have been better for Monarch to remove some seats on the A300 as soon as they'd agreed to lease the A330s to somebody else.

Many people booked what they believed were non-stop flights and were forced to accept a stop-over in either Kuwait or Bahrain on a very uncomfortable aircraft.
Quite a few people we spoke to had lost money on already booked onward domestic flights because of the later arrival back home.

Monarch long-haul have had a not-so-good reputation on Tripadvisor and I've always said that, being small, I found the legroom OK but after my flight on the A300 I can understand why so many people refuse to book to Goa with Monarch.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.