Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The golden rule when it comes to money exchange is remember, "nobody gives you owt for nowt"
Sterling trav/chqs usually carry a charge of 1%, (a -) but of course they are worth face value when you return to the UK, so no charge to put back in your bank. (a +)
US$ chqs.usually commission free (a +) also a weak dollar at the moment (a -)and then are changed back into the sterling rate when you deposit any returns (a -).
It's all kinda swings and roundabouts, and so if you can assume the average expenditure in Goa is around £1000, the extra tenner is neither here nor there.
Then of course some swear by cash only, but as i usually travel around a bit then trav/chqs are the safe option. When your hard cash goes missing/lost/stolen then its gone, but at least with trav/chqs you have the safeguard of cover and replacement.
Yes you can I was caught out a couple of years ago and i went straight back at got the correct currency.
They sold me euro travellers cheques and said these were the best ( We were going to tenerife) When I got home i did the calculations and realised i was loosing out .
We took some Euros back to Thomas Cook after we were given the wrong rate last September.They were fine about it and gave us the correct amount.It pays to take a calculator with you as some folk who work in Travel agents or banks cant even get it correct when they are using a calculator!.
I doubt il be able to take the travellers cheques back and get sterling cheques, as i have signed them.

Oh well, i lost 40 pounds by using the dollar, but i didnt pay for our flight meals, so i am hoping we get the flight meals, then that will make up for the 40pounds we lost.
Nicola, dont worry I am quite sure #50 per day is plenty to spend.
Does anyone know how late the exchange places in Baga / Calungute stay open until? We arrive on sat at 4 pm at Goa airport, a bit worried if we're delayed or if it takes a while that nowhere will be open to exchange my ££s, was planning on taking cash, didnt really want to change anything at the airport as heard they rip you off :think
Bunny I believe most are open into the early evening at least. The exchange at Baga Beach (near the Oceanic Beach Shack) is opened til 9pm, although sometimes it does close a bit earlier.
We have also used other exchange places in CSM Road and Calangute/Candolim about 9pm or later and have never had any problem changing our cash into rupees.
Thanks, that's a relief - I was worried they might all close at 5pm or something! :)
Hello you lovely bunch, do you know what the current exchange rate for US travellers cheques?

Thanks

Nicola
Quote:
I normally find that the rate gets worse later in the season for some reason

You sure :!:
Quote:
Best rate we got last Feb/March was 87.9

As I said the rate seems to be getting worse by the week :duh
Just hope it starts picking up again
The exchange rate at the moment is about 75 rupees to the pound,it's getting lower every week.

john
Hi, forgot to ask? What is best to take? cash, debit card? I can't remember about the banks if i just take my bank debit card. Many thanx Jazz
Can someone clear this up for me - I know its officially illegal to take rupees out of India but is it illegal to bring them in? Or are we allowed to bring a certain amount in? A friend is going to sell me some but don't want to if theres a chance they could be taken off me at Mumbai :think
hya I have some money left over from the czech republic, can i exchange this for rupees when i'm over there :think
Bluemoon, is it Euros? If so you will be able to change them into rupees.
hya gemma, no its czech money whatever that is, i think theres about 30 pounds worth i just thought i could change it and get a few more honeybees with it :tup
Not sure Bluemoon, but I dont see any reason why not :que I would take it and ask over there anyway, after all it is for a very good cause - honeybee!!! :cheers
hya gemma I changed my kroners at thomas cook and got £38, I was just wondering how many honeybees

I could get with that :cheers :rofl
Lots and lots of honeybees, so enjoy :cheers
Good you got your money changed cos not sure what would have happened in Goa or what exchange rate you would have got.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.