Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
MONEY
20 Posts
Hi Salford you can buy rupees at Gatwick Airport but the exchange rate is rubbish, about 70 odd rupees to the pound.
Whispering Palms is only about 2 minutes walk to the main road in Candolim where you will find a cash machine, no problem. Or if you are out and about in the evening your taxi driver will stop at any bank for you so you can use the cash machine.
When are you going?
Salford
You can get rupees from Lloyds bank and from most post offices.
The nearest atm to your hotel is at the top of Candolim road turn left and a couple of mins down the road on the left hand side you will find an atm to get your beer tokens
Cheers Gemma and Lynn :)
Flying from Manchester, so will give Lloyds Bank a go. I presume you can just walk up to the counter without being an account holder?

Fly out on the 17th November :D
We fly out the week after on the 24th Salford. Hope to see you at Lazy Days or the Beach Shack meet up in Candolim which we have now arranged :wave
Hello Salford we are going on the 17th of nov ....are you on the first choice flight :?: ....if so I will see you at the airport cant wait it wont be long now :fly
Irishcolleen - Salford has just said he is on the flight from Manchester! So you will need to wait til you get to Goa to meet up :lol: mind keep me some honeybee :glynis
We fly with Thomsons from Manchester
Checked with the Post Office today and they had no mention of the Indian Rupee, just the Pakistani Rupee :(
Don't bother getting rupees before you go.

Either exchange £10 at the airport or wait until you get to Candolim.
the exchange rate was poor when we were there. It ranged from 76 to just over 80 whereever we were in India.
i've never been to Goa before but everywhere else ive been abroad ive always found i get a better rate exchanging it for cash here and just keeping it in a safe once i get there. i dont like the idea of going there with no money and changing when i get there, but just wondering is it better value to take my English cash and exchange it as soon as i get there or to do as usual and change it all here? :?:
Bunny. You'll be very lucky to get it changed here. Rupees cannot be bought out of India (or at least they couldn't the last time I went). Best advice is to change enough at the airport on arrival n Goa to pay for basics like a taxi to the resort and then change money in resort. The airport banks are a bit of a rip off. Other than that we use the ATMs.
Last year i got a small amount of rupees from a travel agents in uk before leaving for Goa .Big mistake get change on arrival to start you off then just get them at any exchange where you are staying
sharon
Bunny .you can get rupees at gatwick airport .we got some last year.but as has been said the rate is not the best all I am saying is you CAN DEFFO GET RUPEES AT THE AIRPORT ......colleen
instead of changing any money at the airport wait till you say get to the area you are staying ask taxi to stop change 20 pounds pay taxi by doing this you will get the best rate for your money and not have the hassle of the crowds and chaos at dabolim
thanks for the info - Toe - yeh, im def gonna go with what you said i think - cheers :D
You will need a small amount of money, to pay for the taxi, if you use the pre paid taxis on the airport, so just change 20 pounds or less, I found last year the best rate I got was from the Atm's, I used my nationwide flexi card, so I didn't have to pay any bank charges either.
anybody know the current exchange rate- it was poor when we were there.
Hi,The exchange rate today Friday,was 81.20 rps=£1,slowly going up :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.