General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi

We are all off to Side 9 Days ( Not that i'm counting) and i was wondering about Mosi repellent, I was browsing this site a couple of week ago and sure something about a repellent sold in Turkey called either POV or KOV could someone tell me which is correct and is it suitable for the whole family.

Kas
Hi Kas
We went to Side last August and we didn't see any mozzies at all.
I normally get bitten to bits, even in this country, but none of us got bitten. we gave up using the array of stuff we had with us to repell the evil blighters :evil: ........they just weren't there!! :)
I hope Olu Deniz will be the same this year?????? Doubt it though, having read previous posts.
Thanks Emma

It sound like you must have the same blood as my husband, the mosi like a good feast on him, he even carry a mosi wipe in his pocket and they still get him

Kas
KOV is the only thing I have found that works in Turkey. Comes in different forms, pump action, spray or squeezy bottles (squeeze is the best), costs around a pound and can be found everywhere
Thanks Suki

Can this be used on children age 3yrs
I would assume so as Ive seen everyone using it. get the squeeze bottle if you can as its easier to apply. Just a splash in your palm and slap it all over :) If you do have to get a spray dont spray the face - apply to the hands first and rub on
Thanks will try and get that one
I've not seen Kov but I use OFF... good stuff, stinks a bit but the mozzies hate it. "she who must be obeyed" says it smells better than I do and as shes been bitten and as yet I haven't (touch wood) I will keep smelling!!
merhaba again Chealsea boy ----Didn't know that you had met my wife Wee John :?
Wee John,
i hope your Mosquito impression is a really good one when you jump of that cliff....... at 60+ you should know better :lol: But you have more B***S than me.
:oops: :oops: .silly question,but does it work on wasps too :?: :?: .as we go to Icmeler in September,we are never bothered by mossies,but the wasps :!: :!: :!: ,they are every where.any ideas on what to take to keep the little horrors away :?: :?: :?:
the name is sinkov. its the best one on the market black lettering on white and orange background it protects for up to 8 hours but you can reapply if necessary .have a look round your room before you go to bed, they're very sly :wink: the name in turkish for mossies is sevrisinek
This may be a stupid question but i've never dealt with mosi's before - Do you need to spray this repellent on before you go out on a morning ie does it go on under your sun tan cream and do you have to keep topping it up throughout the day or is it something you only apply on an evening?

I'm rather confused as you can tell.

:hmmm
mossies are small ..bit bigger than midges back home. :shock: they are a nuisance and some people are allergic to their bite. they are active from dusk to dawn and try to get into your room and hide during the day...like a vampire :twisted:
they p*** me off when they buz in my ear when i'm in bed. then i get the hoover out :x as i always miss when swatting. :cry:
the ones in Turkey do not carry Malaria like ones in africa and other countries round the globe.
apply a good repellent like sinkov before you go out in the evening check your room before you go to bed. for your face spray your fingers and smooth it over your face and eyelids..same goes for babies and kids.
if you do get bit i find the itch goes away quicker if i spray with sinkov..some people swear by lemon juice..but not me.
and have some anti histamin cream from the chemist just in case..and agin if you are unlucky enough to be allergic have some anthistamine tabs
now after worrying the life out of you ...all i can say is .relax .have fun don2t worry :P
from any chemists shop..they're all used to dealing with this problem.
Someone else crying out for help !!!!!

Can any of the experts please advise - we are travelling to Greece in July and staying in an apartment with lounge/kitchen area and two bedrooms. Will I need just one plug in mozzie repellent or will I need one for each room? A bit of a stupid question I know but want to be prepared for them

Cheers everyone

Ali
I've suffered for years so have tried just about everything .
I now get an aniphelatic reaction (sorry mispselt) - got bitten on the eyebrow in Turkey , not only did my face swell externally but my throat swelled shut so had to have steroid & antihistamine injections.
I now take B vitamin complex tablets before & during hols (they contain breweres yeast etc) available health shops (along with antihistamines at night
.I also have the avon dry oil spray but haven't tried it yet but have mixed drops of citronella oil and lemon oil in a carrier oil e.g. olive oil and spray that on, that works really well , doesn't smell nasty nor is it a chemical on your skin .
I also wear long sleeves , trousers if walking around a lot at night and sorry ladies but no perfume that undoes all the others immediately.
Hope this helps .
happy hols
Helen
hi helen.. that happened to me years ago when i got bit on the eyelid i had an awful reaction...not anaphylactic shock thank goodness but bad...if you had throat swelling maybe you should carry a preloaded adrenaline syringe just in case..like people who have severe reactions to peanuts etc. i'm sure your gp would agree.
thanks ShirleyAnn I did speak to my GP but he suggested breweres yeast - so your skin doesn't seem as inviting and gives off a "bad smell " to them , you can't actually smell it . tHis is also the yeast in marmite which others mention . ( Vitamin B complex also gives you energy )
The avon spray is now called Skin so soft and costs £5 and is so much nicer than all the other repellents on your skin. Along with the lemon oil etc as I mentioned before.
If you do get bitten Lanacane i sthe stuff to stop the itching ( works on prickly heat too) along with teh usual antihistamine stuff.
When we went to Antigua they actually use the room spray called OFF and spray themselves with it.

happy holidays
Helen
hi every one is there any particular time of day or night that the mossies are worce, also can you have your windows open at night :?: :thanks :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.