General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
hi lane saw on discovery tv channel the other night.mossies are out normally dusk till dawn perhaps someone can verify this please. :D
Thats sounds plausible - perhaps they are always there but only biting around dusk/evening time?

I used a natural repellent from http://www.ifsogo.com because I have sensitive skin. My parents swear by Jungle Formula which the above website does too. Think that one last for 8-10 hours. (wouldn't like to wait until the 10th hour to find out though!)
dusk til dawn ..like vampire...but they hide in your room during the day so shake clothes or other things before you go to bed. shut your windows before it starts to get dark. i'm a mossie killer expert :twisted: ..have you ever smaked a one flat on the wall and seen how much blood they've drank :x
hi shirley cant say that i have as i have never seen them before do those plug in things work :?:
To remain bite free throughout your holiday take my wife with you. She ended up with 22 bites, my daughter and I had none. I found it quite funny as we would wake up in the morning and my wife would have another bite and I was only lying inches from her.
hi kilda they must like her blood bet she wasnt very happy though.
used to use the plugs with tablets but have just bought a sonic mosquito repellent off of ebay for £3.98!

anyone used these - any good??
do those plug ins actualy work,i have seen them at boots for £12.99 which is alot to pay out if they dont work,or would it be better to just buy the room spray :wave
we've used the tablet ones for the last 3 years and we've never had any problems with mossies in our room - you know, you don't hear that annoying buzzing round your ears at 3am!! nor have we seen any on the walls or flying around so can only presume yes they do work

we're trying the sonic one this year because we did forget sometimes to change the tablets :oops:
£12.99 seems expensive to me! Is it Boots own or a special brand?
These ones are about a fiver. I used one though and didn't get bitten at night thankfully.

http://www.ifsogo.com/acatalog/other1.html

Or you could maybe just spray your normal repellent on you before bed, albeit a bit whiffy!

LisaMJ
Just been surfing the net re the nasty little biters !

Apparently only the females bite, at twilight and night time - before they lay their eggs (nice!).

I have an arrmageddon type approach: , plug ins x 2, repellents and sprays, having a/c on so room is like fridge!.

My husband, hears then buzzing 6 inches from his left ear, then... turns o the light and goes mozzies hunting!!!! I NEVER get any sleep on holidays...(he has killed a few though!).

Products containing DEET work the best according to 'experts'- I could only find 'jungle Formula ' in the U.k. But it comes in various strengths i.e.100% for treking up the Amazon!!!!
I have never seen or heard them! but I have an allergic reaction which makes them huge (an inch wide!!) & septic & they scar and when I get them on my feet..(last year 3 ..agg) I can hardly walk :cry: ... I think I'll be using all of the above this year!..Kilda tell your wife to be ready for July 31st...lol :)
When we were in Turkey we got some brilliant lemon oil spray, does any one know if you can get anything similar over here, so i can be armed and ready when i get there on day 1. karen. xx
Hi

On one of the Turkey Forums someone suggested using a mossi repellant called OFF. Does anyone know where I can get this stuff as my husband gets bitten to death and they become large and infected. As you can guess where heading for turkey and apparently there is tonnes of the little blitters.
We got some from the local supermarket in Turkey, fantastic stuff and cheap! Not sure if you can buy it over here, think johnson & johnson make it, perhaps you could e mail them. karen
Hi Karen&rich

thanks for your help.
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I usually get bitten all over but most of my bites get infected, my skin gets really tight and inflammed and the bite itself turn to huge blisters full of horrible fluid. Does anyone suffer the same and if so, what medication, creams or anything can you recommend.

I am very careful to cover myself in all sorts of repellants and although the number of bites are slightly less than they were years ago, I still suffer with the bites I get.

Thanks
Eirian
We have just come back from the Algarve and one of our group was bitten badly and sounds similar to your problem. We were advised by the landlady(Portuguese) in Diamonds Bar, Praia Da Oura to put a bowl of Vinegar next to your bed at night-they hate the smell!! Also dab your bites with the Vinegar to relieve.

We travelled to Mexico a few years ago and were told to use the Autan spray you can get it from most UK chemists.

Hope this helps and enjoy your hols.

Dave S
Hi - I always get bitten to death when abroad - never my hubby or 2 boys, just me. Somebody recommended Boots own brand extra strength mosquito repellant - it was absolutely fantastic. Comes in a silver/grey can and also wipes I think - contains 50% Deet and I don't think it's suitable for kids but wow, it really worked. We were down by the canal watching the boys horse riding, and I actually saw a couple land around my ankles (where they like to bite) and they jumped straight off. Never had a single bite all holiday. I would never buy anything else - only thing is you will have to go outside on the balcony and spray it on as it really does have a strong smell - but better than the alternative any day!!

Happy holidays!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.