General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We can't order Avon now as we're too close to leaving, but is there a list of potential products for Turkey (a mossie infected part) we can take.

None of us have used garlic or marmite either before leaving (thanks to Mum not buying any!).

So, is it Jungle 50% deet from Tesco for us all? Also any shower products etc etc

Thanks!
We can't order Avon now as we're too close to leaving, but is there a list of potential products for Turkey (a mossie infected part) we can take.

Boots Soltan do suncreams and aftersun with insect repellant, all on BOGOF at the moment :wink: If you've got time to get to Tesco, you've got time to nip to Boots.
None of us have used garlic or marmite either before leaving

It's still worth getting some garlic capsules and start taking them straight away, take them with you as well. Also, try to eat lots of garlicky food while you're on holiday
I'd also recommend the Jungle Formula 50% DEET spray as well as all of the above. Boots do their own too.
Thanks, we'll do some shopping over the weekend :)
Avon SSS is on sale at £1.50 at the moment - use 'birthday' or 'comeback' for free P&P :D
Avon SSS dry oil body sprays are currently available in campaign 9....... 3 for £6

David
Hi again!

Just noticed today that Aldi are doing mozzie bands 2 for £1.99. They are also doing packs of moist wipes (5 packs of 25) in various scents. Handy for your backpack or handbag (for the ladies!) for a day out.

David
Hi:

Could you please settle an arguement between my auntie and my cousin?

My auntie thinks tea tree oil is best for keeping mozzies away, whereas my cousin swears by Citronella.

Which is best?
Sorry if this a stupid question but do you use the Avon stuff during the day or just on a night when the sun has gone down.
Thanks
Hi there.

In my opinion (for what it's worth!) no-one is right and no-one is wrong.Some things work better for one person than another.I suppose it's all down to our metabolism.
In reply to the Avon question.Mosquito's are more prevelant at night, so it's best to put on the dry oil after having a shower or a bath for going out for the evening.
I hope this helps.

David
Thanks Dave

Thats what I said to them, but they wouldn't listen!

Also in response to the question about the woodland fresh stuff (fantastic stuff) it's worth remembering if using it in the day that it has no sun protection in it, and may even attract the sun! (my mum's friend ran out of sun block for her red headed 5 year old daughter and used baby oil! while in turkey!) I'm pretty sure you know this, but it's worth mentioning!

Happy holidays
Thanks again Dave, they'll leave me alone now!
Has anybody tried using these wristbands,just wanted to know if they worked as being bitten by mozzies seems to be quite popular this year and they always seem to be attracted to me ! we`re staying in c`an picafort this year not sure what the mozzie situation is like there,are the plug ins any good ?
my husband always got bit by mozzies so i started buying the wristbands about 10 years ago(from superdrug or morrisons) they come in about three colours and you wear them on an evening.
My husband and daughter havnt been bit while wearing them, i would reccomend them.
they wear one on each wrist (just in case) and even if they get wet they are still ok. For about a fiver for two they are worth every penny.
haven't looked at these- but if members think they work, I would give them a go.
Avon skin so soft dry oul spray, woodland fresh!!!!!!! EVERYONE i know swears by it. I used it foe the first time this year and nothing came near me :lol:
How about the waiter with the beer?
Hi everyone just been on Avon's web site and ordered skin so soft dry oil, it's on special offer £2.00 hopefully it works, I believe it does, but have not tried it myself yet, but quite a few chat forums say it works. Bobby
we tried them last year and found them horrendous and couldnt cope with them more than about 4 hours, firstly they leaked and our clothes got covered in greasy strong smelling substance when we accidently moved our arms near our sides etc and the other thing was the smell was vile. these were bought in turkey so not sure if they are this bad in other countries but i certainly wouldnt recommend the turkish ones we bought in a chemist
Hi, we are off to Camp de Mar in 9 days time and to ward off Mosquitos I have been taking a garlic tablet and also vitamin B complex tablet for the last few weeks. I have also got my jungle strength spray. A plug in for the room and lemon soap to use as apparently they do not like smell of lemon. Also my Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil Spray in the Soft & Fresh variety as this is the one that has citronella in it - apparently there was a newspaper report a good while back that the army uses this to keep mosquitos/midgies away while out on training exercises.
I am certainly going prepared and after all the effort I have put in hope to avoid being bitten !!
I have heard that the mosquito repellant wristbands from Mothercare are supposed to be good, but I have never tried them.
I've just been reading some threads on another forum specifically for the Dalyan area in Turkey and lots of people who have been there are recommending the local SinKov but mixed with the traditional lemon cologne which is used and sold all over the place - certainly in all turkish resorts.

Also, some have said that the mozzies are devious little buggers and managing to bit under shirts/shorts so advised to spray yourself all over before dressing and not just exposed parts of the body.

As with all destinations, some people can be lucky and not get bitten, others will get a smattering and some will get bitten alive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.