Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Generally it's too dry in Tunisia for mosquitos. What the little blighters like is warm and wet. Skanes and Monastir are fairly low lying areas and there are areas where the sea encroaches on to the land, so warm and wet. this is probably why Skanes has the reputation for being the mosquito capital. It also explains the bad smell you sometimes find in that area.

Mosquitos love me. I can go to Sunderland and get bitten. Scotland in August is a total no-no. In Salou, Espana I was unable to walk for 7 days due to a bad reaction.

Tunisia - beeen loads of times- often to Monastir. Been bitten once in May and twice in August. No reaction, it's not really a problem. If you're susceptible to the s*** take reasonable precautions especially at night. Try citronella if you don't want a spray. I will be very suprised if they are bad enough to spoil your holiday. Inchallah
:thanks Briarskeg & Dorra
You have been a big help.
But what about the spiders? My first time in Tunisia. Have looked on the internet for what insects Tunisia has, can't find any. They must have some, but what??
Thanks Briarskeg & Dorra
I will try the Avon stuff.
Dorra thank you for finding that information for me. only time will tell.
As for the Camels, have been looking forward to going on one for years. I wonder if that stuff works on Camel fleas! :hmmm
8 weeks and counting :lol:
a net?? :D
Seriously, the best thing to keep mosquitoes away is VINEGAR - this tip comes from my grandmother (probably dates back to the middle ages :D) but being from a country where we tend to see a lot in the summer (no, it's not Wales), it's the best I can advise.

It smells :yuck but it keeps them away.
I am woried about mozzies... I went to Italy last year & was not only bitten but had a bad reaction which has left me scarred... do the plug in devices work anyone know?? Cos I had all types of creams with me last year & even the Italian chemist told me my bites were the worst she'd ever seen !! I had to have anti hystamine cream, tablets and a sterile wash.. they were not just bites but open wounds..they were huge!! I will be taking anti hystamine tablets this year..before & during my hols... anyone know if there is a vaccine against this available in the UK before I go??
Like you Im allergic to the bite and seem to attract the wee beggers but Ive never been bitten in Tunisia and to be honest Ive not seen a mozzie when there. I think its too dry for mozzies
My wife was bitten by 'something' almost as soon as getting to Tunisia last month. She eats marmite all the time & we took some with us, so that didn't work.

Vinegar does help to keep them away, was given this tip by a rep there (it also clears up prickly heat in no time). But the greatest relief was from fresh lemons rubbed onto the bite. It went down really quickly & also stopped it from itching.....

Hope that helps a bit.
:lol: Hi can anyone HELP Just booked The Marhaba Hotel in Souse for July 06, is there any Mossies at this time of year and if so what can you do about the little blighters :oops: Also does anyone know any thing about the Marhaba, don't know if club or just hotel.

Cheers

Jim :wink:
I've stayed in both the Marhaba and Marhaba Club and they were both good. The Marhaba was having new lifts installed last year and some refurbishment done, which hopefully will be completed by now. I tried to get in there for this April but have finished up in the El Hana. The Marhaba and,Marhaba Club (both 3*) and Marhaba Beach (4*) are all part of the same complex and you can enjoy the grounds, pools and entertainment at any of the hotels. You will find some reviews in the Hotel Review section on here.

Regarding mozzies, the latest I've been to Tunisia has been June so I don't really know what they are like in July. I've never had too much trouble but I never travel anywhere without Anthisan cream and find it invaluable to stop the itch if they do bite.
Hi Jim,
i stayed at the marhaba hotel last year and thought it was great, infact i am going back again this june. i didnt get any mosquito bites last year, which is a first for me as they usually love me :( so hopefully you will be ok in july. as for the hotel itself it has a great large pool, lots of entertainment and the food is the best ive ever had in a hotel abroad, so have a great time as i am sure you will .

regards

mandy 8)
Hi all, Travelling to Tunisia July 07 and looking for some info regarding Mosquitos is it a big thing and would i need to take some treatment with me travelling with 2 kids.
Haddy, better to be safe than sorry, take some stuff with you. Theres some great tips on another forum about mossies.

Jilly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.