Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
The best protection you can buy is a product containing DEET (Jungle Formula contains a higher proportion of this than some brands - check the label, 40-50% is worth having). Beware especially around dusk, and throw the stuff on all exposed skin. Particularly the ankles, if you're going to be sitting about eating/drinking.
A knock-down spray used in the room, and then keeping it shut up is the best protection in your room. Failing that, then buy coils to burn, the little gits are not keen on this. Wearing light as opposed to dark coloured clothes is a good idea too, mossies know how to camouflage. Also, avoid wearing aftershaves, as perfumed smells can attract the little blighters. It doesn't matter to me what more natural remedies anyone uses anywhere in the world, there's only one repellant for me (and they love me to death).
That's great thanks phoebe.
Laurence
Depends where you are going and when. My hubbie usually has same problem, they love him, but he has never been bothered with them in El Gouna, which is quite surprising as there is so much water, everything being around lagoons! Dont know whether its because we go in July, very dry heat, or what... but most nights we are out he realises he hasnt smothered himself in repellant before going out, and is never bothered!
Oh,and as long as you leave your air con on low in your room it will keep the wee blighters away!
dont believe a word of it ,we had jungle formula with deet and the buggers eat us alive this year ,we got a local spray from the chemists called "OFF" and this worked a treat kept them right away during the second week .
you cant leave the air conditioning on in your room as it has to have the credit card key fob inserted to work ,and thats with your room key :whoops
In terms of not believing a word of it...OFF contains exactly the same active ingredient (DEET) as Jungle Formula, so that's a bit weird. And it's "Personal Repellent" contains less of it too.
http://www.offprotects.com/insect-repellent/
Unless you get the "Deepwoods Sportsmen" variety of OFF in the 1 oz pump spray, and then that's a whacking 98% DEET, so that might do it!
http://www.offprotects.com/sportsmen.aspx
I think that the percentage of Deet contained in the product is indeed the answer. We have used both products under discussion with similar good results, not just in Egypt but in some other locations with an even bigger mozzie problem. I wonder if the efficacy is reduced as the product ages as I dont recall seeing a best before date on either of them.

Regarding this key fob/room key thing. I have yet to stay in a hotel where you cant take the key off the card fob quite easily, and the little blighters certainly dont seem to like cool air movement. Luckily, our current hotel of choice has insect screens on all the windows, so we can leave one open and have the a/c on low all night. This seems to alleviate the "sore throat" problem that sleeping with the a/c on can cause.
sounds like a good hotel oh orange one ,which one is it :que
Its Swisscare, Nuweiba, of course, Foxy! I thought you would have guessed that!? :wave:
bit concerned now, mozzies like to nibble at me, we are going to coral sea resort in april next year, anyone know how likely it is i will become a 3 course dinner?
if your room has a card entry system, just put any old card in it, i used to put my video shop card in worked a treat!!!!

Ola
Yes we are the same, always have air - c on, in fact the cleaners showed us the first year how to do it :D

My hubby gets an reaction if he gets bitten by anything, he takes antihistinmeans every day, and garlic odourless, doesnt wear sprays/perfumes etc (they love the smell), wear thin linen trousers at night, and whilst eating, dont site near to trees, bushes etc, or too near the beach. Mossies love the damp air hence the sea, and bushes are damp due to watering.
Avon SOS is the best thing; used it for the past couple of years in Cuba and Turkey - only got bit where didn't manage to get the stuff on body right.

Usually 2 bottles a fiver. Highly recommend it.
Strangely enough, Mitchy, we tried that Avon Skin so Soft in the Caribbean a few years back and found it not very effective at all. Maybe we didn't apply it properly as you suggest but the high Deet content stuff was very effective. I'm sure, that as with many things, different people react in different ways. Got to be worth trying anything to keep those "pesky critters" away! You would have thought that some imaginative person would have come up with a perfume and an aftershave that contains an effective anti-mozzie ingredient! :idea:
GARLICK ODOURLESS CAPS
I was told this so i started taking them over a week ago all i can say is they bloody work not been bitten or my family since
My husband allways gets bitten by horse flys but not since taking garlic another good tip is to put lavander in your room they can't stand the smell of this either
i was told all this info by an EX Marine
hope this helps :cheers :wave: :tup :sun2
i have heard this about garlic capsules, so it really works then might have to try that this year when i go away
The garlic capsules work for dogs too. And no Carrot, I don't mean they stop dogs biting you!

Give your pooch a capsule a day and it keeps fleas away. But don't bother with this tip if you haven't got a dog.

Hi Everest that is actually quite usefull information for me if it is true, as we take the dogs with us abroad in the motorhome and my friend and I have been discussing the best way to keep the mossies away :tup
Everest wrote:

Give your pooch a capsule a day and it keeps fleas away. But don't bother with this tip if you haven't got a dog.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

We have been in April a couple of times and the mozzies were definately out and about.

Different things seemed to work for different members of the family, so it mugh be a bit of trial and error. One of us could get away with just using the avon woodland fresh, me and the DD used one of the products with deet in it, as avon wasnt working for us. Hubbie didn't seem to get bitten. (is that a proper word?) :que

Gym Card, Nectar card etc work to keep airconditioning on but as the wise orange one mentions aircon can bring it's own problems. :really
marmite is meant to work too. something to with Vit B, i wonder if you could take vit B caps if they would do the same thing?

Ola
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.