Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Mozzies
24 Posts
I was going to ask the same question Annie! I go in just over two weeks as well! I usually bring my plugin's just incase

Anna.
we have just come back from albufeira and we didnt see any mozzies and the weather was red hot
We've been to Albufeira at different times over the years (May to September) and each year
I get eaten alive by the little boogers! :rage

Nobody else in the family (4), just me. :(

Any mozzies in tha apartment are soon sorted out by the plug-in repellants we use in each room.
But outide, mozzies love to feed on me.

I take a vitamin B tablet every day - has no effect.
I take a garlic capsule every day - I still get bitten.

I started using a very well known repellant and that worked a treat.
Then last year I bought a cheaper version - never again - I was bitten alive. :cry
So it's back to the usual brand for me this year.

(I don't know if I can name it here so I will just say thats it's yellow with a red lid.)

Someone on another forum kindly gave me a tip about an Avon product that is supposed to be a
good mozzie repellant too, so I have just stocked up, ready for our hols (August)

I don't know if I can name it on here, so if ayone wants to know what it is, please send me a
private message and I'll be happy to let you know. :)
If theres a mozzie within 1,000 miles it will find its way to my wife! She gets eaten alive. It became so bad that she took medical advice and was given XyZal on prescription. I think its an anti histamine, Anyway she takes these 14 days before going into a mozzie infested country.
Ooooh thanks for that Dan, I'll mention it to my doctor nearer to our hols.

Cheers! :tup
Sorry, I thought I had asked in my previous post...but I obviously haven't...

Did they do the trick?
Does your wife not get bitten if she has taken those tablets?
They zoom in on me too, & tried everything but to no avail, although just returned from Albufeira last weekend and wasnt troubled at all.
Quite a few years ago I was bitten just has we had got off the plane & waiting for car hire. 3 days later I ended up being taken by ambulance at 05.30 to hospital as I had blood poisoning, they jabbed me with anti-histamines and anti-biotics which put me out for 5 hrs. 2 days later I was fine all the swellings had gone.
3 times I have ended up in hospital with bites but on 2 occasions I was in the UK at my own home..
Early evening/ Night time is the worst for mozzies so dont leave any of your windows open after 5pm.
Luckily over the past 3yrs I have been ok, just makes me wonder if I have built up some immunity to the blighters. Hope I havnt spoke too soon. Cheers Jayjan
I hope you haven't either Jayjan...spoke too soon that is. :)

I was the worst I have ever been last year - it was awful! :(

The bites looked like massive big bruises - I looked I had been given a good hiding / kicking ! :|
Saying that - I wasn't the only one.
People around the pool were all saying (and looking) the same.

I did take anti-histamines ( always have them with us )
Maybe that's why I wasn't "ill" with them as such ?
I get bitten by them too.....we go in 2 1/2 weeks and last 2 weeks in Sept and have never escaped them no matter what I try.
I brought back some stuff that I bought in Thailand at New Year and am hoping that it will do the trick ;)

Jayjan.....what have we got in common apart from the mozzie bites........methinks maybe something to do with the tinto????? :que
Pat
:glynis
:rofl Pat I'm sure youve hit the nail on the head with that one, still its nice to know we both have the same hobby . Hope your getting some practice in up there in Scotland for Cabanas :cheers :glynis . have one for me as well. Have great holiday :fly :sun2 & watch those little flying things.
maybe something to do with the tinto?????
... no, can't be that ! .. I'm never troubled by 'em and I never touch a drop of the stuff, as you know !! :rofl :rofl
Hope you're getting some practice in

Practice..........of course I am!!!!

I am a great believer in the old adage, "practice makes perfect" and as I am nowhere near perfect yet, I will just have to keep on striving till I reach perfection..... :rofl :rofl

Pat
:glynis
I was also told by my doc to take antihistamines 2 weeks before I travel after I came down with some dreadful rash in Menorca.

Have never been bitten in the Algarve though :tup
Did they do the trick?

Milly Molly
Yes they did the trick.
Eat marmite, they wont come near you apparently. I do and have never been bitten in the algarve. The avon product is the forest fresh one (moisturiser)I think, I have never used it but apparently its very effective.

Lummie
Milly Molly,

The Avon product is skin so soft dry oil body spray the fragrance used to be called woodland fresh the bottle has a green top, I have used it before nice fragrance too! Hopefully it will work for me against the mozzie's.

Luv Anna.
Hi Anna,

Yep! That's the one! ;)
Hi everyone thought I would check out your post as I too get eaten alive by mossies, they dont bother any other members of my family, for some reason they just got me no matter what repellent I used or how much of it I used. I suffered really badly up until a few years ago when somone recommended a product called Mosquito Milk, I had to order online as it's not available in the shops. You just dab on to exposed areas (no need for all over coverage) and it works a treat. The last twice I have been on holiday and used this I have not been bitten once.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.