Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Names
11 Posts
DOA, you are looking for Slunchev bryag for Sunny Beach

Zlatni pyassutsi for Golden Sands

Tonyt :cheers :cheers :cheers
Golden Sands and Sunny Beach are not nicknames, they are simply translations from Bulgarian to English.

Patka
Sorry Patka .. my mistake but can you see where I'm coming from ....why is their a need to translate into english ?
After all we go to other countries to sample some of the culture of that country why the need to make it more british, german(Goldenstrand) ....ect why not keep it Bulgarian like pomerie,sv Vlas ,
Sv Konstintin...ect.

You don't see many other countries doing this ... :que why because it takes away some of the culture if they do.

Stevie
It's not what the Bulgarians call places, but what we, the Germans, Dutch, Russians and all the nationalities who have been tourists there for decades call them -

Sunny Beach is also known as (Bulgarian: Слънчев бряг, Slanchev Briag; Slanchev Bryag; Slunchev Briag; Slunchev Bryag; SB Dutch: Zonnestrand; German: Sonnenstrand; Russian: Солнечный берег, Solnechniy bereg), and always has been.

Place names in most countries are transliterated or simplified in other languages -

In English -
Rome is Roma
Naples is Napoli
Milan is Milano
Moscow is Moskva
St Petersberg is Sankt-Peterburg
Spain is Espana
(The) Netherlands are (The)Nederlands
Munich is Munchen

The list is endless.

The decline in Bulgarian tourism from the UK is not due to place names, but economics assisted by the Bulgarian tendency to shoot themselves in the feet. In a nutshell we have observed over 20 years that Bulgaria attracts UK tourists when it's cheap enough that the sometimes poor and offhand service in the resorts can be overlooked. Make it ridiculously expensive when compared Bulgaria away from the Black Sea and other countries, and tourism from the UK drops. Except for the die-hard few who have made friends there, or maybe we are suckers for punishment?

Then mess about with flights and make it very difficult to get to the Varna area, (because many of us can't stand Sunny Beach), and turn Albena into pretty much all inclusive only. It's a recipe for disaster as far as their UK business is concerned and very predictable.

Peter
Peter, so correct with your assessment, I went on Bank Holiday Monday 30th May, when landing at Varna from Gatwick, there were precisely 16 people on Balkan Holidays Coach, 1 to Grand Varna, 2 to Alekta, 10 to Golden Sands this split between 6 Hotels and three to Albena, this between 2 Hotels. I tried to book to go back on the 30th August, to be told by Balkan, last flight back 10th Sept to Varna. I went straight into Bulgarian Air website, got flights for the 30th Aug ret 13th Sept, 14 Nights at 4* Dobruja B/B for £12 night, so have saved over £200 on Balkans price. Like I have said elsewhere, A/I at Albena has ruined the trade for restaurants, shops, Taxis and even the Bus services, yet when you meet people on A/I they cannot wait to tell you about the crap food and watered down drinks they are offered. On my last friday there in June I wlked the main road at 10.00pm and counted 28 clients in the top four restaurants on that strip, one restaurant had a group of six playing the next one 3, then 4 and the last one the famous Poco Loco 5. Tonyt
I agree totally. Albena was a super resort and although I can stay with my friend, sometimes it was nice just to have time to ourselves and meet up when everyone wished to. The Bulgarians seems to think that AI is what the tourists want, no research etc. As for flights, well the situation is a nightmare at times.

Still looking forward to my trip tomorrow, will visit Kranevo to eat and the beach and no doubt Albena on the odd occasion for the beach. Lets hope the thunderstorms stay away or just appear at night.
Peter thankyou for you responce ....the places you have listed have some resemblance to the original names & I would say are almost the exact same just different pronunciations.

But I think some prospective tourists might be put off with the english sounding names...
I often get asked whch part of BG i go to Golden Beach or Sunny Sands .....I think the brouchures should call the resorts by the Bulgarian name ...it's more exotic & mysterious & lets face it sounds better ....

I know what you are saying about the flights as I have suffered plenty of Balkan Holidays heartache.

I just think that using the bulgarian names would make the black sea coast more appealing.

Stevie
Just back From G/S and the resort was full of young people .Every day there was at least two bus loads of youngsters at our hotel The Shipka .Friends of ours told us that there is to many supermarkets selling cheap drink ,so the hotels and Restaurant are loossing as the young people go to them for there drink .The other thing not good is the transfer times from Varna to G/S it used to be threequarters of an hour now it is taking up to 2 hours as you have to stop at quite a few resorts before you get to G/S Balkan holidays needs to get there act sorted out as they are making it harder and harder to get to Varna :que :yikes June
june52 wrote:
Just back From G/S and the resort was full of young people .Every day there was at least two bus loads of youngsters at our hotel The Shipka .Friends of ours told us that there is to many supermarkets selling cheap drink ,so the hotels and Restaurant are loossing as the young people go to them for there drink .The other thing not good is the transfer times from Varna to G/S it used to be threequarters of an hour now it is taking up to 2 hours as you have to stop at quite a few resorts before you get to G/S Balkan holidays needs to get there act sorted out as they are making it harder and harder to get to Varna :que :yikes June

Hi June & Gerry ....apart from the transfers & the young people ......how was your holiday .....is Pipi in his usual place ?
Have there been anymore changes in Zlatini Piasaci since last year ?
What was the weather like ?
We will be going back next year with my eldest & our Grandson ....I will pm you about our trials in Turkey :yikes
DOA wrote:
.....I think some prospective tourists might be put off with the english sounding names...
I often get asked whch part of BG i go to Golden Beach or Sunny Sands .....I think the brouchures should call the resorts by the Bulgarian name ...it's more exotic & mysterious & lets face it sounds better ....

....I just think that using the bulgarian names would make the black sea coast more appealing.

The original Bulgarian names, rather than the various forms of transliteration into Latin characters, would be unreadable and unpronounceable by most prospective tourists - even the Bulgarian goverment approved transliterations from cyrillic into English do not, in many cases, faithfully reproduce the original pronunciation:

Слънчев бряг - Slanchev Bryag (Sunny Beach)
Златни пясъци - Zlatni Pyasatsi (Golden Sands)
Албена - Albena
Св. Св. Константин и Елена - Sveti Sveti Konstantin i Elena (Saints Constantine & Elena)
Поморие - Pomorie
Несебър - Nesebar (Nessebar/Nessebur)
Свети Ð'лас - Sveti Vlas (St. Vlas)

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.