Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
naxos
7 Posts
Hi, if it's of any help, we are going to Naxos for 7 nights the end of August, and I can post a report when we get back?

Staying in the St. Georges Beach area. We orginally were going to spend 14 nights in Santorini, but after much reading/research, we thought it might be too long to spend there, so we are going to get the ferry over to Naxos for 1 week.

Have you been on Tripadvisor.co.uk ? It's got some great info on Naxos there. Will you be spending time on another island, or going direct from Athens?
Naxos is a really nice island and very easy to get to, and to get around. We went for a week this year and stayed just outside Naxos town in the Aghios Georgios area. Its a lovely, lively town with loads going on around bustling harbour. Really pretty and relatively inexpensive compared to other destinations in Greece.

We also took a trip to wonderful Agia Anna and Mikri Vigli which are stunning, relatively quiet sandy beaches. All in all Naxos is lovely and highly recommended. :tup
Fully agree with previous posts, its a great island. We stayed in the Galaxy Hotel. Its in a quiet location with sea views and within easy walking distance of Naxos Town. Due to the size of the island we rented a car for a few days which really helped to see the sights
More information on Naxos unalthorised link deleted...wizard
Naxos is my favourite island - we go there every year. Next year will be our 10th visit. As there are good ferry connections, we usually take in 1 or 2 other different islands nearby each year!

We have however found Naxos Town/St Georges beginning to become a bit too crowded for our likings - and is becoming similar in some ways to Mykonos. We were looking at some photos we took in St Georges about 10 years back, and there is so much of the open space in the town has been built on, and parking is starting to become a problem. We have also noticed that many of the traditional shops (eg the timber merchant and the hardware shop) have closed or relocated, and are being replaced with chic restaurants and hire car places. For some, that is a good thing, for others not so good.

We now don't bother with St Georges much these days, and instead stay more down towards Plaka/Migla Vigla/Kastraki, where IMO the beaches are the best in Greece. We go into town occassionally some evenings, but are more than content these days to sit in a rural taverna. Taking the trouble to learn a fair bit of Greek has helped.

As others say, its well worth having a car a few days, and get up towards the hill villages (Filoti etc). Also the island bus network is not too bad, and there are buses that run from town to Plaka and back at 30 minute intervals up to midnight.
Naxos is one of my favorites islands. It is not an island for nightlife but has all the other interests.

I love it particularly for its winds. Some areas are very windy and offer you the possibility to practice/learn windsurfing or kitesurfing.

The main spot for that is Mikri Vigla.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.