Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Naxos
9 Posts
Hi

We went in 2007 and stayed in St Georges which was good because you could walk into Naxos town in approx 5 min at night. A great place for wandering around with plenty of alleys to get lost in. The town has plenty of restaurants to suit any budget and the front is traffic free in the evenings. During the day we used the bus from Naxos down to Plaka which ran every half hour until about 1am and cheap just remember to buy your ticket before you get on. We only hired a car for a day and saw most of the sites we wanted to see. There is a good supermarket on the right opposite the open air cinema as you enter the town from A/P which was not too expenses with a good range of everything.
Hi,

St Georges is really nice I agree, walking alonside the harbour is beautiful at sunset. The beach is nearby also and its a nice sandy beach too. A place I went to last year is called Mikri Vigla, about half an hours drive from the port and I stayed in the Diamanti studios. Its lovely, peaceful with half a dozen tavernas, same amount of bars and tremendous desolate beaches. I would 100% go again with my children for a total relax.

You will love Naxos wherever you get to!
We stayed in the Galaxy Hotel an easy 10 min walk into Naxos Town. We rented a car which is really the only way to see the island. We notice the hotel is now featured by Sunvil, it has a good pool, its in a quiet location and has great views of the beach and sea. Definately one of our favourite islands.
Thanks for the replies - it sounds great. We've booked with Sunvil - Birikos apartments - which look very nice. As the flights are to Santorini, we've opted to stay there for a few days on the way back. Sunvil were great, allowing us to stay on Santorini for just 4 nights - we have been there before so that is enough and means we don't have to rely on a ferry before the flight. This is the first time we've booked with Sunvil, we have seen good reports on them and they have been very helpful so far. Roll on May!
How did you go on Maria?
Hi Joey

We loved Naxos! We ended up combining Naxos with a few days on Santorini which made quite a contrast. We went with Sunvil who were brilliant and allowed us to be flexible with our arrangements. We discovered that the Manchester flight to Santorini arrives too late for the ferry - this proved no problem for Sunvil. At their suggestion, we spent one night on arrival on Santorini, then caught the ferry the following day. We had 9 nights on Naxos and returned to Santorini for the last 4 nights. This had several advantages - We did not have to rely on a ferry to catch a flight (or vice versa), we had the bulk of our time on Naxos, which we have never visited before, 4 nights was enough for us to re-visit anything we wanted on Santorini (which we visited 10 years ago) and it reduced the cost, as we wanted to stay in more upmarket caldera view accommodation for our stay on Santorini. Sunvil don't have their own reps on Naxos or Santorini but use local travel companies on these islands. This seemed to work very well. We had a local contact in case of problems, no hard sell and all information, transfers, delivery of ferry tickets, etc, worked very smoothly.

We very much enjoyed our time on Naxos and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes the less commercial side of Greece. Beaches were beautiful and there is sufficient to explore to easily fill a week or two. We hired a car for most of our stay on Naxos an go to see a lot of the island. I've put some pictures on here, if you are interested. I'll also post some from Santorini and a boat trip we did to Mykonos and Delos, once I've sorted them out.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/359655/index.html

All the best, Maria
your pictures look lovely and Naxos looks beautiful- I love all the little winding streets of the main town.
Hi

I agree when you visit Naxos in some ways you are turning the clock back to how some of the Greek islands use to be the only draw back is the hassle getting there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.