Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Have a look at Samos. It is a beautiful island both inland and coastal.

It is one of the few smaller Greek islands that has an airport - a very nice one too.

Our visit there was in May and the scenery was breathtaking.

Pippa
Any recommendations for resorts and accomadation in Samos
We`ve stayed at the Anthis apt`s outside Pythagorion for the last 2yrs, it`s a 20 min stroll into Pythagorion from there, as pippa say`s the scenery was very nice and would suggest you hire a car to see more of the island and it little hidden bays and coves
We stayed at the Ino Village Hotel - just outside Samos Town. It is a small hotel with lovely views (especially from the breakfast terrace) down to the sea and across to the port at Samos Town. Fairly basic rooms as usual in Greece but the pool has lovely wooden sun loungers with comfy mattresses. I think it is available with Thomson holidays or on various sites such as Medhotels or direct with the hotel itself. I would agree that a car is a must to see the real Samos.

Pippa
We went to Samos a few years ago and thought it was really nice, but for the last 14 years we've been going to Paxos and we think it's amazing!

There's some info on Paxos here

Elaine
Hi Elaine
Which resort do you recomend on Paxos, do you know any good accomadation
My favourite place on Paxos is Loggos. What accommodation you choose depends on your price bracket. There are some links to tour operator and independent accommodation websites on my Paxos page (link in above post), but if you want personal recos, let me know what sort of budget you're looking at and I'll try and help.

Elaine
Thanks for the advice everybody i'll check those places out.
xenosuk ,
do you always stop one night in corfu with all tour operators ? we are only going for a week so that makes it a little akward also i notice you have a scuba diver as your picture and was wondering if you go diving yourself and if so whats the diving like on Paxos ? were both divers.

thanks again Simon , Tracy
I would recommend Skopelos. A very peaceful island with scenery to die for Very rugged and green. Views from the traffic free village of Glossa over to Skiathos end Evia.......... heaven!
I would also suggest you have a look at Kefalonia if it's really dramatic scenery you are loking for. 8)
Simon & Tracy

This year will be the first time we'll have to spend a night on Corfu. The last hydrofoil from Corfu to Paxos is normally late afternoon, so as long as you get a morning flight it's not usually a problem. We're just unlucky this year, because Monarch have put the Friday flight we're booked on from Manchester back until a lunchtime departure. Most tour operators go out on Mondays and there are usually quite a few morning departures on that day.

The picture is of me snorkelling, not diving. I don't dive, but the diving off Paxos is supposed to be excellent - there's some info on the dive centre in Lakka here

Elaine
I have to agree with posters who recommend Samos, but also consider Lesbos. Both are beautiful and large enough to be explored. They are cheaper than most of the other Islands and the people are fantastic.
Hi Elaine
Our budget is no more than £700 altogether theres just my husband and I self catering or B&B if room has a fridge, with a pool, close enough to walk to Tavernas etc.

Thanks
Hi yraunaj

The only place that I can think of that fits all your criteria and is within your budget is Kosmar's Nicos Apartments. You should get a full package there for under £350 each in September if they have availability.

We've stayed there a couple of times and think it's good value for what you pay. They each have a separate small kitchenette, including a fridge. There's a small pool (which is very unusual for Paxos, because pools are mostly only found at the big expensive villas),a good supermarket directly opposite and it's only a minute's walk from the shops and tavernas in Loggos village, or about 10 minutes to Levrechio beach. This photo was taken from our balcony at sunrise - not a bad view - http://i2.tinypic.com/sm7fpv.jpg

Kosmar also have the Alexandros Apartments in Gaios which have a pool, but I've not really heard much about them and I know they are right on the main road into Gaios, so I wouldn't like to recommend them.

There's also the Glyfada Beah Villas just outside Loggos which have a pool, but they are accommodation only and by the time you've added on the cost of flights, ferries and transfers I think you'd be struggling to keep below £700 for two people. Also, they are a long walk from the village centre, so not really what you're looking for I think.

Hope this helps

Elaine
Thomsons have plenty to choose from in Samos within your budget.

Take a look.

Pippa
Take a look at Travel Republic - you can book just flights, just hotels/apartments or flight and accommodation. They have some pretty good deals for Samos in May. I'm not sure when in May you want to go but obviously avoid the half term week if you want value for money. Flights to Samos generally go out on Wednesday (Thomson) or Thursday (Excel).

Pippa
Hi,
I would recommend Symi. It's a lovely little island, just one hour from Rhodes by hydrofoil.
There are some english travel agencies selling packages to Symi (e.g. Kosmar and Laskarina).

Otherwise, it's also possible to book the flights and check the accomodation with the Symivisitior (INVALID URL

There are nice, quiet beaches - some only reachable via Taxiboats, beautiful views, wonderful taverna's with great food.

For further informations and some pics, i've put a travelreport on the internet:

http://www.canchanchera.de/Symi%20Island%20of%20Dreams%20-%20english.html

and

http://www.canchanchera.de/Symi%20-%20our%203rd%20dream.html

Have a nice and unforgetable trip.
Astrid
Hi yraunaj

We stayed in Kokkari on Samos last year. It is truly beautiful. We stayed at the Kalidon Palace, but that was quite expensive and slightly out of the village. A lot of people who travelled out with us stayed at the venus Hotel which is in the village. Everybody who stayed there said how good it was and very friendly. It is b&b but as it is in the vilage there are loads of nice restaurants. I looked at Thomsons for you and the price for 10 - 17/05 is £254 and 31/05 - 07/06 is £280. That is from Gatwick and is a Wednesday day flight.

Hope this helps.

Ardwyn
Sorry yraunaj

I read another post of yours and you were lookaing at going in September it was Zed who is travelling around May. Still Kokkari is excellent! :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.