Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
My Mother and I have had a similar experience, although the hotel was fairly OK it was at the top of a blooming great hill.

Since finding HT I have been able to get first hand advice from the wonderful members, coupled with extensive internet research I have managed to find out which hotels and resorts are suitable.

Apart from asking questions here, I find one of the best ways to research is to put in a search for photos of the hotel or resort, many people now put their holiday pictures on the internet and from these you can get a pretty good idea of what a place is like. I have even been cheeky enough to e-mail the photographers explaining my disability and most are happy to answer questions.

I hope that now you have found this site you will not have to suffer a disappointing holiday again.

Lynn
sometimes you are better with word of mouth.
I do run an accessible holiday accommodation facility in France - I have been extremely honest on our website.....but I think actual photos also play a big part - we have hundreds of photos - I have probably also gone overboard on things like measurements, heights of toilets, door handles, etc

We have got testimonials on our website too.....again I have kept them all original, so there are the good and the bad comments.

But my question to all of you is ........ Is there anything else you would want to see? Is there anything else that I have forgotten? How can I gain your trust......at the end of the day I can say hand on heart what you see on the website is what we have.....but you don't know that do you!!

I have applied for different registrations here in France - but again, how are my UK guests going to understand what the criteria is. I have got classification form the French equivalent of the Spinal Injuries Association - all downloadable as a PDF - does it mean something to you - I would guess not a lot!!

Also as a new company - only been up and running since 2006 - this year is our first "proper" year - people have had to take us based on trust - word of mouth hasn't started yet, although I am sure it will, and bookings are coming in which is great - but how do I make you trust me?

I really hope that some people will visit our website and let me know what you think......good and bad, and if you can see things that would be useful, helpful, things I have forgotten then again, please say.
At the end of the day the main point I try and get across is that yes our accommodation is accessible, and we are trying to accommodate most disabled people, we endeavor to provide equipment if required, and we endeavor to cater for all......people are very individual, as are the disabilities, so although we try - we may have forgotten something or overlooked something - in that case please ask!

I should also mention - I had a car accident in 1995, so used a wheelchair for the best part of eight years - so I do have a fair idea of what my needs were as a wheelchair user.....I had been on these nightmare "accessible" holidays only to find that a bucket and I came best friends for the duration, etc hence we came up with this idea......that is where it all started!!

Please do feel free to make comments on the website and what you would like to see on our website, what would be helpful, etc

Jacqui
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.