Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
I also have mobility problems and stayed at the Pelicanos/Ocas over Christmas and wanted to book Self Catering for my next holiday. I cannot recommend apartments through having stayed there but after research on the area ( flat and near caberet bars) we have booked the apartments San Diego. (torre San Diiago)We also considered Torre Gerona. Hope this helps. Found the apartments on Benidorm Spotlight
Hi keanda ... I appreciate that you are looking for personal recommendations. However, if you e-mail the Benidorm Tourist Office at benidorm@touristinfo.net they will send you list of hotels and apartment complexes which have disabled facilities. The lists refer to internal rather than external or local facilities, so once you find accommodation which you think may be suitable, please feel free to post here to enquire about the suitability of the local neighbourhood.

David :wave
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Helen I will have a look at the accommodation you have suggested on the benidorm spotlight website. David, I will also e-mail the tourist board for suggestions and then as you mentioned I can post on the site to see if anyone knows the location etc.

thanks again

keanda
i think the office opposite the hotel regente is the one where they give you advice i tried there advice not so long ago gave me a list of hotels that they said were suitable for goodness sake go and have a lok the only one we could find that was totally suitable was the hotel melia that has rooms done out that are suitable
Hi,

I am not necessarily looking for disabled facilities within the accommodation, so long as they have lifts and I don't have to climb stairs. It is more that I cannot walk any great distance without a great deal of pain, therefore the accommodation needs to be on level ground and not up a hill and also it really has to be central to the entertainment.

Thanks

keanda
You sound just like me. Not needing a Wheelchair but cannot walk too far at any one time and find hills an effort. As I said on a previous post I have not stayed in Apartments in the area but having stayed in the the SOL pelicanos/Ocas, Ambasador Playa, Marina, I consider apartments in Calle Gerona ideal. No need for taxi's for the night;ife.
Hi Helen

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at apartments in Calle Gerona, failing that I know that the Sol Pelicanos is an alternative as I have stayed there in the past.

Many Thanks

Keanda
Hi Ive just come back from the Presidente and the facilities are great for a wheelchair user.

I can walk but only short distances and use a wheelchair all the time outside. The hotel has ground floor rooms.

Ive also stayed in the Trebol apartments over the road from the presidente, very basic but they have two lifts and usually a good price

Michelle
hi all,
i have been trying to book a holiday for my dad who is wheelchairbound.i have the list recommended by the disabled forum and have rang quite alot of them myself direct.so far the melia and gran bali do not have the dates available.i wish to go may 13th - 20th.has anyone stayed in any hotels that are adapted or you have seen alot of wheechair clients in the hotel.this may narrow my search.

thanks
  • Edited by David 2008-03-03 16:49:55
    Merged with existing similar topic, which may provide some useful info while you wait for further feedback
I used to work in travel and always found Thomson to have the most information about there hotels. We used to be able to give a print out to the clients of access through out the hotel. It even detailed the access in the rooms, bathrooms, lifts,dinning rooms plus loads more.I don`t know if this will help you.
Hi jeaniepoohs, I remember seeing a very detailed report by a wheelchair user who stayed the Bali, I think it was on H.T but could have been on another site :duh If I remember rightly it was less than favourable, they said that the wheelchair would not go through the door in to the bathroom and they had to use a public toilet several floors below for the extent of their stay. I will try to find it, it was quite a long time ago.
The Flamingo Oasis have spacious bedrooms and bathrooms and although I haven't seen loads of wheelchair bound people staying their, I do know that they have charging points in reception for battery operated chairs. ( I nearly put electric chairs then) :rofl
Sue :)
Not sure if this is the review you are referring to Sue, as it is pretty favourable ... click here.

No David, I don't think it's that one, it was posted quite a while ago, before that one, i'm pretty sure :think but yes I agree, that review looks pretty positive perhaps the other person had an oversized wheelchair or something.

Sue :)
my wife is disabled and we were asked by a friend if the hotel we stayed in was suitable the regente well its not suitable for some one who cannot get in a bath we asked at the tourist place opposite they gave us alist that they daid were suitable we spent quite a while going around these and what a waste o f time the only one i would recommend is the melia opposite the regente they have rooms that have been adapted for total wheelchair folk
Thanks for your help,I have now given in after telephoning 20 hotels direct and spending 3 hours at the travelagents to be told that no hotel is suitable including the melia(apparantly there are 30 steps to the pool area),also trawling the net for 8 hours.Who do you believe,the travelagents ,the hotels themselves(both of which seem to be covering their backs)or people who post on forums and have experience themselves.I have booked the sol pelicanos/ocas,plenty of people with wheelchairs seem to use it.

Does anyone know if the wheelchair can get through the doors okay,also is the toilet suitable for a raised frame to be put around(i can hire one).

My husband is going to benidorm in april so will go and check it out for me,also put forward my requests that i made on booking.lets hope he doesn't find many pitfalls.

Just to let you know:
the melia have no adapted rooms available for may or june
the rosamar,the mediterraneo,the helios will only allocate the adapted room on arrival
the gran bali has no availability for may
the victoria has a room but didn't fancy it..

jeaniepoohs
jeaniepoohs wrote:
I have now given in after telephoning 20 hotels direct and spending 3 hours at the travelagents to be told that no hotel is suitable including the melia(apparantly there are 30 steps to the pool area)

Presumably those are the internal steps from the ground floor of the hotel to the lower ground floor, where the restaurant and entertainment areas are located, along with direct access to the pool area and gardens. However, several lifts are available instead of using that internal staircase. There certainly aren't 30 steps in the garden area leading to the pool.

The Wheelchair friendly room at the Victoria is ok and quite spacious, it has a wheel in shower with I think if i recall a hinged shower seat fixed to the wall, the bathroom is quite spacious, as is the room itself. I'm not disabled myself, but we asked for a low floor and got this one. My son is disabled (wheelchair bound),but he was,nt with us but we would have managed ok with him in this room if he came. The Hotel entrance is flat as is the front cafe/bar area. It is quite a high rise hotel so everywhere else is accessed by the lifts. The staff were ok...not the friendliest ive encountered in Benidorm and the food was ok too, but nothing to write home about. The pool area is quite small really for the standard of hotel, but the location is quite decent for both the old and new towns really.

Best Regards - Taggy
Is anyone able to give me some advice on finding suitable accomodation preferably a hotel that is wheelchair friendly. Myself and another member of staff are supporting a gentleman who is dependent on his wheelchair. Several years ago he had a traumatic experience on his first trip to Spain and has until now refused to go back and I so want it to go as smoothly as possible for him this time around, and for him to enjoy the experience.
Regards
Jayne
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.