Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi lise ... feedback from wheelchair users is sometimes a little slow in this forum, so if you haven't already found any topics of interest here, please do feel free to post too in any particular resort forums which might appeal to you.

Benidorm for example if very popular with wheelchair users, and there is ample choice of accommodation on level ground. However, there are also hotels situated on steep hills which are totally unsuited to wheelchair users or anyone with mobility problems. You will be able to obtain info and advice about Benidorm in our Costa Blanca forum, and hopefully a similar response will be found in any other resort forums that you might post in.

David :wave
Hi Lise, We have been to the Lanzarote Princess hotel for the last 2 years. Its situated in Playa Blanca which is nice and flat. The hotel is very wheelchair friendly having ramps everywhere and there are always several people in wheelchairs. The family rooms are on the ground floor. The nearest beach is just a few minutes walk. The beach is very accessible with gentle ramps down. There is one road to cross to get there. The promenade is really long in either direction and traffic free. 15 minutes walk takes you to the marina. There is a new shopping centre there with a huge disabled toilet. The promenade is lined with snack bars and restaurants which are mostly accessible. There is also a pedestrianised shopping centre. The Lanzarote Princess is one of the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed in. They go out of their way to help you. We had a bedroom on the top floor near the lift. It had 3 beds. The people who were in the room before us had a child who needed help with the bath and the parents were having a struggle because the door opened inwards and was restricting their access to the bath so they just took the door off for them. I visited Puerto Del Carmen while we were there and found it totally unsuitable. I was so pleased we had chosen Playa Blanca. Please let me know if you need any more information. :)
hi thank you for the reply we are getting quotes for the Princess hotel i was wondering if playa blanca resort is more accessible than costa teguise?
Hi Lise, This is just my opinion. I prefer Playa Blanca. As with most resorts abroad you have to go out of your way to find lowered pavements. Strangely they are not always lowered at pedestrian crossings, usuallly a few metres to one side and there are always inconsiderate drivers parked across lowered pavements but once you find your way around its OK. I found Costa Teguise to be a very sprawling resort. Some parts of the promenade are very uneven for wheelchairs and there are lots of busy roads. Playa Blanca is much more compact. The promenade stretches for miles and apart from the harbour area where you have to cross a road to rejoin it its traffic free and lined with cafes and hotels and I think much prettier than Costa Teguise.
I have spent my holidays the last 6 years in Sant Carles de la Rapita, about 60 miles south to Tarragona (Salou) at the most southern part of Costa Dorada and Catalonia. The place is excellent if you want to have a beach holiday and you are in a wheelchair. My family is consisting of myself, my wife, two daughters 17 and 15. The youngest uses a wheelchair but can walk short distances.
We either stay in a villa with another family or in apartments rented from interhome. Those apartments are adapted for wheelchairs as well.
The village is not very lively, but still pleasant and also still quite Spanish/Catalan. There are not many people who speak English here, but you will make yourself understood anyway.
Main difficulty getting there is transfer from the airport. We always rent a car so that is taken care of. If you have a car Port Aventura is only 1 hour away using the Autopista. The Reus airport (where Ryanair flies) is also 1 hour away. Barcelona main airport is almost two hours by car.
If you would like more information PM me or post in the thread..
Bengt
I also found Salou itself to be really easy to get around. It's undergone a renovation in the past few years with lots of road-dishing and ramps. The beach and promenade is also accessible by wheelchair and in fact I saw loads of wheelchair users at the beach so it's obviously becoming known for it. It's probably a bit wild in mid-summer but off-season it was fine. I've no recommendations for suitable accomodation though as the place we stayed was a bit old and had a lot of steps up to the door.
Hi
My wife uses a manual wheelchair.
We have just come back from Roquetas de Mar, Almeria Spain with Airtours.
The entire resort is completely flat with a 3 mile long beach promenade.There are ramps onto the beach and boards that can take a wheelchair near to the waters edge. It is a very Spanish resort (about 95% Spanish holidaymakers) but we had no language problems. During July/August when Spanish children are on holiday thre is plenty of outdoor hotel entertainment by the pools. We stayed in the Zoraida Park (3 star) which was good for wheelchairs. The Zoraida Garden a sister hotel next door had steeper ramps.The other hotels also have ramps but our hotel the ramps are less steep.
The hotel is spacious with direct access to the seafront promenade. The food was acceptable and plentiful. Bedrooms a little on the small side but OK.
Very large pools and daytime activities. You can get fruit flies due to the large number of greenhouses outside the resort growing organic fruit and vegetables. All in all we enjoyed our stay there and would return to the same hotel.
Hope this info is useful
Mendel
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.