Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
hi
most ppl speak english in ibiza.island is only 26miles long 16miles wide so easy to get around the place.best beach in ibiza is at playa den bossa.anything you need to no just ask.
x_Collette_x check you private mail ok...but any more info just ask ok.its free and could really help you out a little.to make your hols better
hi
u sent it to my pm by mistake dj
sorry sent it to right one now ...thanks
most ppl speak english in ibiza
er actually this is wholy untrue - most people in ibiza speak spanish - you can argue over whether its castillion, catalan or ibicencan but its not english - theres also an argument that german is probably more spoken than english...

island is only 26miles long 16miles wide so easy to get around the place

http://ibizaa-z.com/images/ibizagooglemap.jpg

.best beach in ibiza is at playa den bossa

i guess if youve only been to playa den bossa on holiday then its probably the best beach... theres 80 odd beaches on the island - pdb beach is not one i'd put in the top 30...

benirras, cala moli, cala gracio, es codolar etc etc etc
True about the language. Once out of the town you will be surprised at how friendly people will be if you greet them with a 'Bon dia' rather than a 'Buenos Dias'. But then again in Spain and the Balearics I have always found that if you make any attempt (no matter how poor) at the language the people will more than meet you half way. Knowing a bit of Spanish has also been of great benefit when in America given that many of the people you deal with on a daily basis are Hispanic.
adeiibiza sorry if i was a mile out if u say its 25mile instead of 26 !! i,ll believe you.where the hotels are where ppl stay course most the staff speak english ,i didnt mean in some back alley where locals are where most tourists dont go! most ppl say pdb beach is the best in every site and book you read. sorry if i,m not correct in every detail ....
pdb is one of my least favorite beaches, personally the nicest and fairly easy to get to from san an is cala conta. sant vincent, cala d'hort, and cala carbo (think this was up a scary road we almost went over the cliff!) are also on my fav list!
Collette- I looked at Club Paraiso too,it has a lot of good reviews on tripadvisor.com it's a pretty lively, young scene.
its true - if you make half an effort then people will more than go out of their way to help you

i dont know anyone on this island i know who would say pdb beach is the best on the island.... im not saying its bad ... its a very long open beach and it gets very busy in the summer - because its right next to ibiza town and its big and long

that to me doesnt qualify it being the best beach on the island :)
youve got 80 odd to choose from
Spainsh and German outweigh English in spoken lanugages on Ibiza, however I do agree, many hotel owners and bar workers in tourist areas do have an excellent grasp of English, though not too many are fluent.
Sometimes, balearic jobs, i wonder how you come by your information. 35% of ibiza's visitors are british and only 17% are germans. english is the lengua franca of the entire world and most other europeans who come to ibiza use it to communicate, not german. if you go to any school, college or private academy in Ibiza you'll find that about ten times more people are studying english than german. this is the main reason why many, many residents here (notice how i didn't say ibicencos) speak very good english - the economy depends upon it.
i dont doubt what youre saying about vistors and people "studying" english - the point, i think, is that there are arguably more "residents" who speak spanish and german than english... :)
In Spain (including Ibiza) English is widely taught in schools under the national ESO system. It is one of Three languages available for tuition to 14 and 15 year olds, the others being French and German, English being the language most commonly taken up by pupils with German a distant second choice and French way back in Third.

It is obvious that no-one inferred that English is spoken ahead of Spanish amongst Spanish nationals. But having been to Ibiza many times as well as Majorca, the Canaries and the Spanish mainland, I can assure visitors that English is indeed quite widely understood (if only in basics) amongst much of the population, particularly those who work in the tourism industries, cafes, bars and hotels, I have also had no problem with being understood by the majority of Taxi drivers on the island.

German is also well spoken and understood, but it is a fact that twice as many Britons as Germans visit the island every year.

As for being picky over a one mile difference in the length of the island....PLEASE!
i wasnt intending to be picky at all - i already had that image and put it up to show graphically the length of the island - if i had thought it would offend i would have changed the text to show 25/26 or whatever :)
I wonder if this is really helping the poster of the original question x_Collette_x. Please lets get back to helping her with
any useful tips from anyone willing to help
rather than debating which language is spoken and the size of the island.
I'm sure there are other things that you can help her with.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.