Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i have just returned from ichmelor which was fantastic but i must say it is nothing like benidorm wi all the live shows its more bar based with the waiters doing there own entertainment we have also stayed at the club alpina in marmaris which is in a nice area and also hissaronu which is great for fvamilies of all ages.
SueDerbyshire,

You may find members Resort Reports useful to get a feel for the various resorts in Turkey. My vote is Icmeler as I think it has everything, but it's not quite as 'noisey' as what Benidorm is. For that, Marmaris may be more to your taste.

Darren
I would say Marmaris would be the best choice for you, probably the most like Benidorm or Magaluf you will get in Turkey. It is the biggest and liveliest resort anyway.
I also think Marmaris would be suitable but also Icmeler which is quieter but very near to Marmaris. Bodrum is also very busy. Olu Deniz is smaller but has a lot of bars and some lively resorts nearby, the area around there is very beautiful. As you are going later in the season you should also look at resorts such as Antalya, Side etc.
Bodrum is busy but it nothing like Benidorm or Magaluf.
HI I've been to Marmaris, Icemeler and last year Hisaronu and to be honest I wish we had always been to Hisaronu previously although we loved Marmaris and Icemler we won't be going back now we've found Hisaronu, it has everything you need if you want lively clubs and Bars but also some nice chill out bars plus the surrounding area of Olu deniz and fetiyhe are in my opinion nicer than Marmaris you can also go over to calis beach on the water taxi or walk/bus into Kaya village for something to do during the day or the boat trips from fetiyhe are I think better than the ones in Marmaris but that is just my opinion but I don't think you will be dissapointed with Hisaronu plus it's also cooler due to the breeze with being up in the hills but still nice and hot that you wouldn't find it cold by any means.

Cheers

Geordie
I think you are right Geordieno9. Hisaronu could well be a good choice for them and there are more options for them than Marmaris which personally I don't like. However I realise many do. I mentioned Bodrum not because I thought it was like Benidorm but because I thought the 18-20's would like the busy atmosphere and there are certainly plenty of bars and places to visit. I think youngsters though can find fun anywhere on the Turkish coast. Mine who are now in their early 20's have wanted to come to a very sleepy resort for years with us where there are virtually no other European young people . They hook up with Turkish youngsters that they have now known for years and have a lot of fun. The Turkish teenagers are usually very keen to meet Brits and use their English.
people can be very snobby about marmaris,it is a large(ish) turkish town that is in no way shape or form just a tourist destination purely aimed at us brits when icmeler has shut down(literally)for the winter marmaris is still a thriving authentic working turkish town.Icmeler isnt as quaint as people like to think and bingo,sky sports discos ,kareoke ,drag shows and english style meals can be found here , although music and entertainment finishes at 12 pm.The entertainment in turkey is very second rate compared to the wonders of benidorm,but if it is a very lively noisy place you are after then hisaronu or gumbet are your best bet, club 18/30 sells holidays to gumbet so a lot of the bars etc are very very lively. i have only been a couple of times and it is nice enough as is hisaronu,but sadly neither live up to benidorm in terms of things to do (the scenery is a lot nicer though).Please dont travel to turkey under the impression that it will be fairly reasonable i have just returned from icmeler and drinks are expected to rise to £3 a pint in a few weeks which is pretty much what we pay here,wine is also expensive and not very good,food is still reasonable and delicious though i am happy to report.
I agree that Bodrum and Gumbet are very lively however I think anyone who is looking for Benidorm or Magaluf would be disappointed. For a start Gumbet is a pretty small resort whereas Benidorm is massive. Also in September/October things are beginning to slow down and quieten.

I still think Marmaris would be the best choice for Sue and her family.
Sorry didn't read the original post properly,if you are thinking of visiting sept/oct then I would definatley suggest marmaris ,like benidorm there is something for everyone and it should be reasonably busy still,other smaller resorts seem to start to shut down the beginning of October and when I visited icmeler last October (second week) a lot of bars were closed or closing.having said that however we have just come home and icmeler was a lot lot busier than it was this time last year so maybe a bumper season is expected.I visited gumbet in October last year also for a couple of days this was however more or less the last week of October and it was quiet but the music was still going at 4 in the morning and most places where open
;) Saw this thread and was coming straight in to say HISARONU :D then saw a few others have said this too. Three resorts in one really....10 minutes by dolmus and you are at Olu Deniz with some lovely beaches just 'round the corner' opposite side of lagoon...PLUS lagoon VERY safe for children. In the opposite direction you have Fethye...main town with lots of do and see. Plus excursions especially for the teenagers - Saklikent Gorge - excellent! Also paragliding off of Babadag Mountain landing on the beach.

Been to few other resorts in Turkey...Turunc (visiting Iclemere and Marmaris :yikes - we like 'lively' but afraid Marmaris was not for us)...Kalkan (lovely but more a 'couples' place) etc...very nice..but no 'want' to return. Hisaronu however :rofl been there about 6 or so times now - with teenage boys - then when they 'flew the nest' on our own. The boys have also returned on their own too...youngest approximately 4 times now. Good night life...VERY safe IMO too for them.

Must admit not been there for a few years now but wouldn't hesitate going back. When we first went Hisaronu was literally a one horse town...just one dirt track road - but it has expanded so much over the years.
What can I say, thank you all so much for all your advice, sounds like I am spoilt for choice, Wherever we decide, I am sure it won't be our last visit. We are hoping to visit other areas while we are there and will therefore have a better idea for next time.

I am going to look at a couple of areas for this holiday but I think it will depend on the best hotel/apartment which is the right price (does that make sense :que ). Does anyone have any suggestions of where we can stay. We would like an apartment which has a nice swimming pool for the younger children, maybe a childrens club. Also somewhere close to the beach and resort area, when I say close I mean no more than 15mins walk ( my health isn't what it used to be).

Once again thank you so much for all your advice, it has been invaluable :cheers .

Sue x
SueDerbyshire,

The answer is long and varied! I would settle on a resort to begin with then start looking at accommodation as there are litterally 100's of options. You may find members Hotel Reviews a useful reference.

Darren
Sorry, yes ofcourse, you are right. I think I have decided on Marmaris for this visit.

I have looked at most of the reviews but as you say, there are so many, I was just hoping for someone to suggest a few hotels/apartments.

Thanks for your reply.

Sue
I like Club Alize (First Choice), Its a lively hotel in a nice part of Marmaris, it has an excellent kids club and a bus stop just outside. It's the opposite end to the harbour so (I find it) cheaper for eating etc
I've been in Sept and it was still really busy but not sure about Oct when things start to wind down

:cheers
That sounds like the sort of place we are looking for. I will take a look now, thank you.

Sue :cheers
Been to Marmais a few times and stayed at the Club Alize which was good but as mentioned Hisaronu is by far a better place to visit for me.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.