UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
If you want somewhere to go on a rainy day there is the Life Museum,near the railway station and the Discovery museum in Blandford Square.
One has free admission but I am not sure which one. Both are recommended for children.
Thanks again Jay Trip ... just Googled the Life museum (this is the one you have to pay for) ... Sounds perfect!!
How about Arbeia Roman Fort at South Shields? They often have activities on for children during holidays. Also, the Laing Art Gallery does lots of "hands on" craft type activities, which might be good if the weather is rotten!

Hope you enjoy Newcastle. I live in Northumberland and I can recommend day trips up here as well. As previous posters have said, Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh Castle and Cragside Estate are all great for youngsters.

Regards

Musicmaker
Reading this thread has made me realise how much the North East has to offer.If only we got the weather so we could really appreciate the wonderful beaches on the Northumberland coast. :rofl
Jay Trip.... We say exactly the same about Cornwall!!
Some brilliant suggestions here thanks all so much - I know nothing about this area at all - did come up a couple of years ago but just for a couple of days and didnt have a chance to explore.
Musicmaker - I dont suppose you can recommend any coach companies that may run day trips to these places?
I also want to visit Blyth - is there much to see there??
I dont think Blyth is somewhere to visit if you are only in the North for a short time.
Can the friends you are visiting not get some leaflets for you from the local Tourist Information?
Blyth - its a bit of a pilgrimage thing - my Dad had family there and I always promised I would go with him one day it never happened and now I think there is only one elderly relative still living there -I must admit I have not heard good reports but just need to get it out of my system so to speak!
Unfortunately, no, the person I will be staying with isnt much help :que
It may be worth contacting some of the local tourist centres to see if they can send you any literature:
http://www.visitnortheastengland.com/

David :wave
I'm afraid I don't know have any direct knowledge of bus companies running day trips - I know Arriva run a direct service to Cragside on Sundays, but I think that starts in May, which doesn't help you very much! I agree with David about trying the tourist info centres. Also the Northumberland Tourism website has lots of information and email addresses for some local tourist information centres

http://www.visitnorthumberland.com

Hope this helps.

Regards

Musicmaker
Thanks both for those links ... Why didnt I think about that!!
Can anyone recommend somewhere nice in Newcastle Upon Tyne, where I can take my son for a meal on his 21st birthday?

He's a student so looking for a good big plate of something rather than a tiny morsel beautifully presented! Ideally either a good "Sunday Lunch" or steak type meal. Somewhere with nice surroundings and good service would be lovely.
My current 2 favourite Newcastle restaurants are

McCoys at the Baltic (on the Gateshead side of the Quayside on the top floor of the Baltic art gallery and with excellent views of the Tyne)

Or the Michelin acclaimed Grainger Rooms (behind Laing Art Gallery)

http://www.graingerrooms.co.uk/

Both are pricey-ish but I've yet to have a bad meal at the latter

And there's Blackfriars too which is superb (behind Chinatown and the Gate Complex in the old city ruins)
I fancy going for a day trip to Newcastle from Edinburgh and just looking for ideas for interesting things to do during the day?

Any advise would be appreciated!
Ok I know this is a bit early to ask but who knows what the future holds for us here on HT.

Mrs Kiltie & I have decided that we will head off to Newcastle for some Christmas shopping this year (around mid to the end of November) and would like some ideas of places to stay, somewhere that is close to the main shopping area of Newcastle (where is that?) but not somewhere that will be full of party revellers down for Christmas or Stag / hen nights, we will be taking the car so we will also go out to the Metro Centre.

Any advice or info on the best way to get about in Newcastle would be appreciated :tup
Any advice or info on the best way to get about in Newcastle would be appreciated

Definitely has to be the Metro - very quick and efficient - and whilst it's a couple of years since I've been to Newcastle I always thought it was very cheap too.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/

SM
Hi Kiltman Newcastle City Centre is nice and compact and unless you have walking difficulties it's easy to get round by foot.

Main shopping area's are Eldon Square and Northumberland Street mainly the usual high street shops.

The Hen and Stag parties do slow down a bit in the winter but I would avoid Jury's the one near the centre for life as I usual have a post work drink on a Friday near there and see loads of groups of people arriving.

Personally I would look to stay at one of the hotels on the Quayside Mal Mason, the Vermont or Hilton on the Gateshead side may have some offers on there are Travel lodges and premier inns and Jury's down there too .

If your there on a Sunday there's also a small market in the quayside some tat but also some nice food stalls.
Thanks for that :tup

The Metro is probably the best choice for getting around and seems reasonable.

Personally I would look to stay at one of the hotels on the Quayside Mal Mason, the Vermont or Hilton on the Gateshead side may have some offers on there are Travel lodges and premier inns and Jury's down there too .

Are these hotels / areas close enough to stroll in to the city centre or would we have to take the Metro or other public transport?
The Quayside is a 10 min stroll from the city centre although it's uphill. There are green buses running from there to city centre every 10 mins or so.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.