UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
ask at the hotel for directions to the snowy owl pub its 5 minutes down the road and a really nice pub with great food
Any advice where the best place to stay in newcastle around where everything is happening.e.g shopping,nightlife,shopping.!!!
Thankyou
Scarlett - hope this isn't too late but for nightlife and shopping you want to stay in Newcastle as you have hundreds of bars to party in, the quayside is a bit more upmarket than the town centre so it depends what you want. Lots of restaurants and a street full of chinese restaurants. You will find shops in Newcastle city centre and you must also visit the Metrocentre which is a massive shopping complex in Gateshead .... if you need anything else I don't mind you pm me.
I've read lots on here about Newcastle being for the youngsters.
Theres going to be a group of about 25 of us going there next year for a hen weekend, and the ages range from mid 20's - 40's.
None of us really like the cattle market young scene, so can anyone reccomend the best area and pubs for us please ?

The Gate.
You could start off with a buffet meal at one of the many Chineses restaurants at Stowell street which leads directly to the area known as "The Gate" Plenty nice bars in there.
I'm going to Newcastle in a couple of weeks time with my girlfriend and am looking for suggestions for things to do during the day, places to see etc. We'll be in the city from around mid day on the Saturday until Sunday night.

I'm also looking for recommendations for decent bars to visit on the Saturday night.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Steve
We're going to a concert on Thursday night and I though it might be nice to have a meal beforehand. Any locals got any suggestions for somewhere that's not too far away from Newcastle Arena? (not curry though)

Thanks.
One of my favourite places is the waterside palace

http://watersidepalace.yummyland.co.uk/

This is only a short walk away from the Arena. The City Centre is also within walking distance.
Ah! I recognise that I've been there!! It's up from the Copthorne isn't it?
There is 10% off a meal at Est Est Est on the Quayside if you are going to the arena
There is a voucher to download on the Metro Radio Arena website, just click on 'places to eat'
Hi all - looking for some ideas - my friend had her hen night in Newcastle 2 years ago and we all had an amazingly fun night, so we are hoping to go back on 26th September for 1 night. There will be around 10 of us, so will need about 5 rooms, maybe less if needs be.

We would probably want to stay near the Quayside as we want to go back to Buffalo Joes and the Baja Beach Club...........unless anyone has any other ideas?

Its to celebrate a birthday, so any ideas welcome!
Hi, I don't know about cheap accommodation but why not see if you can get a deal at the Malmaison Hotel on the Quayside, as you'll need at least 5 rooms? You should be doing it in style! Malmaison is where all the celebs - including artists performing at the Arena and City Hall - stay while in Newcastle and as you already know, the Quayside is where it's all happening. Have a great time - wherever you stay!
i stayed at the novotel in newcastle(just on th outskirts) near the airport, but clos enough to the city aswell, there is always god deals on there web site toget cheap rooms, also includes there swimmingg pool and spa, there i a toby carvery pub across he car park aswell if you dont want to pay the hotel prices
Am planning a trip to Newcastle, maybe at Easter and just wondering if anyone could recommend some day trips etc? I will be travelling there by train with my 9 year old son - all travelling will have to be done using public transport.
I really dont know this area at all so welcome any advice. We wll be staying with a friend in Gosforth but cannot rely on them for good ideas!!
Thanks
Have a trip to the coast on the Metro.Whitley Bay and Tynemouth are the resorts which both have lovely sandy beaches.
Thanks for the reply - we probably would do a trip like that but beaches wouldnt be our main priority as we live in Cornwall! Was thinking more along the lines of say day trips by coach so we can see as much as possible of the area.
Take a trip to Durham city.It has a magnificent cathedral and castle perched high above the river wear.
I agree that Durham is a must see :) How about Hadrians Wall and the Roman sites along there, Alnwick Castle and gardens in Northumberland or Beamish museum.
Hadrian's Wall would probably interest a 9 year old more than Durham. There is a fair amount of info at http://www.hadrianswallcountry.org/wall.asp although the link to the Hadrian's Wall bus doesn't work (and the dates given are still 2008 when it started up for the season on Good Friday). The National Park's site does have a working link to the timetable -for 2008! http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/hadrianswall_bustimetable08-lo.pdf and it shows a direct service from Newcastle City Centre, you can use the contact details on it to get a copy of the 2009 version when it's available but it's probably best to assume that it won't start up any earlier this year. Assuming the day rover tickets are still available it would be a cheap way of getting around but check the main site for admission prices to add on at various sites.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.