Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Jo, sounds to me like Mellieha might fit the bill, nice sandy beach, loads of places to eat and drink, not to far from other resorts including Golden bay, but although I have visited Mellieha many times I am no expert, however, Mark & Nicky who post on here quite regularly are very well acquianted with this area, and I am sure that being the helpfull peeps that they are they will tell you more about it than I.

Regards
Sliema2
Hello Jo,

I can recommend Mellieha, although if you want a hotel that is very very close to the beach then in my opinion it will not be one of the better ones. I would say that the best hotels in the resort are on the heights. Look at http://www.mellieha.com.

The heights as is suggested by the name stands above the beech on a hill it is linked by a regular bus service and it will take no longer than three mins. Or you could walk down hill to the beech which will take you about 15 mins and take the bus back.
There are numerous very good retaurants on the heights and the beech itself is ideal for youngsters.
Hi

I would also recommend Mellieha we stayed there a number of years ago and we thought it was so peaceful and relaxing, The beach was right on are doorstep and it was great, We stayed in the Luna apts which had good accomodation and facilties..

Tatty x :D
don't forget about Gozo! I just moved here from the UK, and it is so much more peaceful than Malta.

This site has some good info and and a cool zoomy map thing too.

http://www.gozoprideholidays.com/tourist_info.php

There are posh hotels over here also!
can't disagree with gozolad, seeing as I also moved here from the UK !
gozolad - where in Gozo are you living ?
Gharb at the moment, soon moving to the sprawling metropolis of Marsalforn though... :)
one extreme of Gozo to the other ! I'm in Sannat
>Sannat

That's where Billy Connoly lives isn't it?
thats right- he's always very happy to talk anyone as long as they take him as normal, and not a celebrity ! Also resident is Alan Sunderland, the ex-Arsenal footballer
I can't believe that has been sensored !!! Its the club down the road from Spurs who play in red
I can't believe that has been sensored !!! Its the club down the road from Spurs who play in red

Unfortunately it was the first 4 letters of the team name which were picked up by the swear filter, as it was a word previously used regularly on the forums.

David :wave
the nicest place in gozo has to be xlendi bay. its beautiful
certainly Xlendi is alot better than Marsalforn - also the hotels above the harbour are very good, plus most of the best restaurants are by the harbour
When we pay a day visit to Gozo during our Malta holidays we usually go over early and have breakfast at the St Patricks in Xlendi followed by a walk. Then onto Victoria for a walk round and morning coffee in the square. Lunch is usually at Marsalfor and sometimes it's back to St Patricks for an ice-cream about 5ish before our return to Malta.

Not that our holiday revolves around eating and drinking but if we changed our itinerary this year where would you recomend for lunch. Churchill's in Xlendi has always appealed but we have never been.

Any ideas please.
Hi Mandyc

Churchills is OK, but my favourite ones at Xlendi are Stone Crab and Itmun. If you have to eat in Marsalforn, then at the revamped Calipso Hotel is my pick. Elsewhere, what sort of food/budget, and does it have to be by the sea ?
Thanks for your reply.

Doesn't have to be by the sea but I do love just sitting and looking at the sea. Any type of food and no budge (we're on holiday!!).
OK. in that case the ones already mentioned, plus there is a row of restaurants down at the harbour, just below a pub called Gleneagles - all are good, but the best is Sammys - best fish on Gozo - he runs Gleneagles with his brother Tony, and all the fishermen drink there, so he gets the best ! A couple of drinks on the balcony at Gleneagles, then downstairs to Sammys...mmm... trouble is Sammys doesn't open for another month, otherwise, I'd be down there tonight ! If not Sammys, there are I think 4 others in the row. One at the top of the row (its on a hill) is also very good. Best views from any restaurant at Xerri's il Bukett(sp) in Qala, overlooking the blue lagoon - food is OK as long as you stick to the pasta or pizzas - don't drink the homemade wine at Xerri's, you've been warned !!!
Thanks for all the advice, I will look into Melliena and Xlendi Bay.

Jo
mandyc - just reread your message, and you were talking about lunch - Sammy's isn't open at lunch (AFAIK), but all the others are
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.