Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Shirl..........I have never bothered with vaccinations in the past and Im sure you will be fine ....But this year I am bang up to date with everything I need ...I just thought why not... better to be safe than sorry.

The chances are you will be fine ...But on the rare occasion something does go wrong and you find your Insurance wont pay out it could cost you a packet .....

Go for it....Its only a little prick....................... :whoops :duh

Regards ..Steve....................................................................... :cheers
Hi Shirley, :wave:

Why not phone your travel insurance provider to make sure that any claims that might arise from your holiday due to any illness will be accepted and paid for even though you are not vaccinated, I am sure all providers are different and I am sure there could be hidden clauses in the small print. :(

My motto is better safe than sorry..........I am always up to date with all my vaccinations.......and I am a regular visitor to the Dom. Rep

As SadButTrue has mentioned the chances are you will be fine, but I could not take the risk nowadays.IMHO

Angie :tup
From what I understand from previous posts on this subject, if you become ill with a condition you could have been vaccinated against, even if the vaccination was only advised and not compulsory, then you may have problems claiming on your insurance.
mmm :think your replies are worrying me now. I haven't bothered in the past as I was willing to take the very small risk of contracting Malaria. TBH I hadn't thought of the insurance implications until this was mentioned to me today. When I've previously asked for advice here, some were saying it's up to you completely and insurance was never mentioned. I don't mind having vaccinations but I definitely have a phobia about anti-malarial drugs. Also with it being so close to the holiday now, I don't want to risk any adverse side effects.

I've just read my policy and the wording is that I'm not covered for Tropical diseases, where medical advice has not been followed. It's still a bit vague as my doctor hasn't actually advised me to take anti-malarial drugs.
Thanks for your help. Please keep your thoughts coming.
My motto is that you're dealing with insurance companies. They're there to make a profit for their shareholders and will use any excuse under the book not to pay out for any claim.

Reduce the number of excuses and they have less reason to pay out.

I therefore suggest you get the vaccinations done (our doctor does them for free).

Mark :)
THIS is the official vaccination advice one is directed to from the FCO website.

I suspect it would be this advice that insurance companies would use to ascertain the vaccinations which are advised and that it would be hard to plead ignorance as it's information freely available on the FCO travel advice for the Dom Rep page.

When I went to Egypt I had all the recommended (not compulsory, there were none) vaccinations for this very reason, just in case.
Thanks Pippy. I've spoken to my GP's receptionist today and she said that I need to pop in to the surgery and fill out a form, listing where and when I'm traveling. The procedure is to hand in the form and make an apointment with the nurse at the same time. the GP/nurse will examine the form before the appointment due date and if nothing is needed will telephone me to cancel the appointment. If however, prevention vaccinations/medication is required, the nurse will administer during the appointment.

I remember a few years ago when I first visited the Dom Rep, all it took was a simple phonecall to the GP to establish what was necessary :que

I think I will pick up the form on Friday as tomorrow's half day in our surgery. I just hope I haven't left it too late.
I think we had to have ours about six weeks before we travelled.
We're flying 4 weeks today Pippy :yikes if I'd known about this insurance business, I'd have sorted it much sooner as I like to be organized.
My insurance clearly states that I am not covered for any claim in the case of my failure to obtain any recommended vaccines, inocculations or medications prior to my trip. Better to be safe than sorry.
When we were in the Dom Rep a few years ago,we were told by the rep ,who was a local that there was no Malaria in the tourist areas.
When we were in the Dom Rep a few years ago,we were told by the rep ,who was a local that there was no Malaria in the tourist areas.

That's what I thought Jaytrip. I've decided to see if I'm up to date on my other vaccinations but I'll probably give the Malaria medication a miss and cross my fingers.
Thanks everybody.
If you are going to the North coast of the Dom Rep malaria tablets are not really needed but the Punta Cana region has a risk so malaria tablets are advisable for this region.

Malaria risk area in Dominican Republic: Rural, with highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. In addition, risk in all areas of La Altagracia Province, including resort areas.

Punta Cana is in La Altagracia Province.

Angie.
Hubby and I have just returned from our GP's surgery. We had to fill in a form each (3 pages long) about our health and also had to state where and for how long we're going. I have an appointment with the nurse on Tues morning for any medication that's required. If, when she looks over the form, she decides no medication/vaccinations are required, she's going to telephone to cancel the appointment. Hubby's appointment is on Tues afternoon. Wish me luck please?
Shirley,

Well I certainly wish you luck, I personally did'nt go through all that paper work with our GP, just rang up for appointment with practice nurse and went along for my vaccinations bingo.
I suppose all Dr's/PCT's are different around the country. Anyway will keep my finger crossed for you.

Angie.
I never had to fill in any forms Shirl when I had the injections for Mexico 5 years ago, so procedure has obviously changed. I'll wait and see what happens in your case, but hubby was ill after one of the injections last time, and he says its to close to going to risk being ill again :que
Well I'm back from the surgery and I've had the hepatitis A and Typhoid (joint vaccination). My arm was very sore when the needle went in but it's not too bad at the moment. We discussed the Malaria medication and she's given me paperwork to read while I make up my mind. The tablets don't need to be taken until 7 days before we go. She showed me the recommended regions on the map and although it said that there are periodical outbreaks in Punta Cana she couldn't be sure about Bayahibe as it is some distance away. She said at the end of the day it's up to me. TBH, I've all but decided not to risk it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.