Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I'm sure you will have a good time. We loved it to bits :D
i always take mini bottles of jonny walkers out with me. and when i get hassled to buy fruit , shoes etc.. i get out the whisky and make some cash of those blighters !!
they love it ,
hi

alive im looking forward to your review as ive booked to go next year, but looking at all the recent reviews i was in 2 minds whether to cancel it, reading about all the sickness etc, my daughter went in june for a week and enjoyed it although she did have a bad tummy for 2 days when she returned but her idea of a good holiday at 19 isnt the same as mine, she can put up with more things than i can, i read on a few reports that the wrist bands for kids are flimsy and if they get lost or broken you have to pay £15 which im not happy about as i have a 6 yr old and can see that happening, but i have to say all the sickness ive been reading and bad reports not only on here but the watch dog reviews have really concerned me
ellie_meg I went to the Occidental in July this year and I was not sick at all neither was any of my family. The hotel is great, My eldest son broke his band twice and the first time he could not find it so we has to pay 40p for a new one and the second time he had the band and they gave him a new one free. So that is not a problem at all.
The only problem that we had was the weather it is overcast in the morning and you have to wait to see if the sun comes out some days it does and some days it does'nt. Its just that I am used to being in Turkey and the sun shines there every day of your holiday, so it was different for me to not see sun every day.
You go and enjoy yourself. I did!!!!
perrydog i too love turkey and go there lots 3 times so far this year with another hol in oct, but thought be nice to go somewhere different for a change ,ive contacted first choice today to be told they sent me a letter 3 weeks ago which i never received saying when i booked the holiday the all inclusive has had some changes and due to this i can change free to another holiday preferably they said still to morocco,ive asked for another copy of the letter to study the changes, think 1 was all inc stops at 11 pm instead of midnight but i switched off after a while of him running though them lol, so going to have a long hard think at least its free to change if i do it before they run out of free child places, oh decisions lol,
Karen - I see your having 2nd thoughts :( . is it the hotel thats bothering you or morocco?

the hotel and the reviews were looking good when i was looking earlier in the year

perrydog - do you know if that is normal weather in morocco for our summer months. I remember a similar thing in lanzarote when we went in July a few years ago. the sun did come out every day but is was overcast until around midday and arnt the canaries somewhere off the coast of Africa. :?

this hotel is still on my 2008 :shock: shortlist so i am watching with interest the reviews.

lyn
hi lyn

its mainly this hotel it started off with good reviews but the last ones have been bad, look at the reviews on holiday watchdog for this hotel and last few on here all had sickness etc ,not good, cant decide what to do, my husband saying change to turkey lol

karen
they seem either really bad or really good not a lot in between Karen. funny cant seem to find any on trip advisor. is the hotel known under another name as well :? .

i think the part that worried me other than the important health and upset tummies was the reports about the way special attention seemed to be lavished on the french. I think if there is an underlying resentment building up over this while you were there then you wouldnt necessarily hear the positives in a review because it really would of spoilt your holiday :( .if this bothered you ,you would really be in a "wound up" state. not what you need on holiday.

i hope that makes sense, i know what im trying to say but its difficult without babbling too much.

At the end of the day im very much an instinct person. I think the only way your going to make a decision and at the end of the day there are plenty of good reviews here is to go with your "gut feeling".

lyn
lynwestie, i dont know if the weather is always like this but it was for us, its a bit of a lottery really. But when the sun does come out its really hot and you seem to get a tan weather its out or not.

ellie_meg, if you usually go to Turkey as I do you must remember it is not Turkey and so much different, personally I would not go to Morocco again and stick with Turkey thats where I'm going back to next year. But the hotel itself is fantastic and we stayed around the complex most of the time and enjoyed it.
Ah Karen -This really is going to be tough one for you and as you know I feel exactly the same as you and perrydog as far as turkey goes. Nowhere ever feels the same :( it would be nice to try somewhere different just for a change which i know was what you had in mind when you booked + the fact that you have always wanted to go to Morocco. if you dont go would you always be wondering? Was this going to be your main holiday Karen or another of your many "extras" :D and if I remember you did get quite a bargain :D.

lyn
hi lyn

yes this is going to be our main holiday dont think we can afford the 6 next year weve had the last few years grrrr , its a difficult one, we went to tunisia a few years ago and hated that and wondered if this is going to be on par !!! yes it is on trip advisor ,but the real bad reports are mainly on another site did you read those ? the french germans getting served first etc probably after a week would start to pee me off if they were pushing in constantly, the sunbed situation concerned me a bit too, also with my daughter going out there i know thats true, she said the food was ok ,the chinese wasnt great, rooms basic, beds hard as nails lol, but she did have a stomach upset when she returned home for 2 days and was doubled up in pain, she did enjoy her holiday but at 19 you can put up with more than at my age lol, so after reading all these others had the same too dont think i want to risk this, im having a look around but not a lot coming up a similar price, im going to ring first choice again and get them to read this letter to me that i didnt receive incase i can cancel instead of change.

perrydog thanks for your imput, do you think its a deserved 3 star and up to 3 star standard. we are going to turkey in 5 weeks and staying at letoonia, this has fab reviews and looks great, dare i ask what the comparison would be like lol

*Edit to remove links to a site that disallows links to us Briar
Hi Karen - let us know what you decide. good luck. yes i did have a look at holiday watchdog . not good i must admit but maybe try to concentrate on all the positive ones.
and if you decide its time to change your holiday we will all be here helping you decide where to and you know how much we enjoy that :D :D

lyn

ps.have you looked at the Aegean dream resort in Turgetureis. its a short walk into town and theres a few of the turkey forum regulars either booked or short listed it for next year. me included for 2008 :shock: :shock:
lyn which company does that as im not sure if im stuck to first choice or not, he did say to me yesterday that they would prefer me to still go to morroco so they wouldnt have to change my flights, not sure where i stand if they all inc i booked has changed somewhat going to ring now and ask what has changed, i know what you mean by look at all the reviews but i tend to take more notice of the recent reports than older ones,

line engaged to first choice grr bet its all to do with turkey troubles

karen
Karen i have sent you a pm so as not to take this one off topic :D

lyn
Hi we too were there in July and had a great time. There was 31 of us and none of which had any upset stomachs that had to be treated, and all eating and drinking different things. I suffer with stomach problems and have to say this is one of the only holidays that I have not been ill on and had to stay close to my room to run to the loo. The only thing the kids suffered from was bad ears. This was caused by jumping in and out of the water and caused too much pressure on the outside of their eardrums. It was not an infection but simply swim ear as the doctors said back here. Without being too picky we could not fault this hotel and did not encounter any problems with the French or Germans being served before us or being given priority. We all seemed to be treated the same. The weather did seem to be cloudy some days in the mornings but be careful as you still do catch the sun. My daughter being one of them saying no sun cream as the suns not shining and what happened she got burnt, so it is decieving. When the sun was out it was very hot though. We all got lovely suntans though and did all enjoy ourselves. The kids are saying they want to go back next year but we like to try different places first.
ellie_meg, The comparison between hotels in Turkey and Morocco with a three star is pretty similar I would say, we stayed at the Tamlet part of the Occidental and found the rooms to be quite large and although it was basic it was clean but the balcony was very small, only room for 2 chairs but you had to move them out of the way to open the doors.

Any more questions please ask away :D
thanks for your help, just cant make up my mind what to do, the last few reports have worried me on watch dog and here they are really bad, i tend to look at the recent reports more than the older ones, might just hold off making a decision til more reports come in
Hi Karen - any nearer to making a decision. Im still following in your Egypt thread but thought you might need a bit a space to think things over.

If its just the hotel thats bothering you and not morocco itself have you thought about maybe changing to another hotel in agadir or elsewhere in morocco. i know these are most likely to be more money but there were others wernt there? with maybe better reviews?..now you are looking at maybe spending more money for Egypt where i know your worried about not having anywhere to stroll just thought maybe changing in morocco wouldnt work out anymore than sharm.

lyn
no im no nearer grrr, infact ive just read another horredous report about my hotel calling it a dump etc on trip advisor, showed oz and he said cancel it ,ive looked at all the other options to morocco and the other all inc in same price band is coming out bad too, ill re look, im now looking at greece , just want , good weather, nice beach, good all inc and nearby town or shops to stroll along, not asking for much lol found a fab one in turkey first choice premier in belek cornelia and considering all the extras you get cos its a premier inc 24 hour all inc wahooo its not too badly priced and looks fab check it out
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.