Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
the last report i read in the Cyprus mail, the Cypriot ecologist did not think i would reach their coast
sounds bad, keep us posted
According to the Times Newspaper today, Southern Turkey will definitley be affected at some point but Cyprus only depending on the wind factor between now and the next month or so.

Fingers crossed :(
The daughter recons she can smell it on the wind, being a lot older I cant, but local press say no imminent danger.. they would say that I guess.
  • Edited by jimbox 2006-08-08 11:55:05
:oops: This sounds really bad, even If It doesnt reach Cyprus (and I hope that It doesnt)........

Think of all the Fish and Birds that will be affected with this oil slick....... :(
For info, there's a similar thread on the Turkey forum.

Darren
The Independent reports today that the slick has hit the coast of Syria.

Marion
:cry: :cry: ............ very sad for all the Wildlife concerned.
Thats a point, its going to affect the fishing around the waters, which in turn will have a knock on effect with the islands food resources...
Just finished reading the post "sea in Cyprus" and how stunning Fig tree bay and Flamingo bay are, then read about the oil spilling into the med and how it could reach the east coast of Cyprus, Take a look at the photo's on the Sky news web page. http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,30000-1230108,00.html

Not a pleasant thought that fig tree bay could look like the scenes in the photos if the worst was to happen.

Ps sorry still haven't work out how to post a link correctly, offers of tuition anyone?

Maurice
Maurice,

to post links: Title of the link.

Having seen first hand the sort of environmental devestation crude and heavy fuel oils can do to the marine environment, I really hope the currents and winds in the eastern med are kind and confine things.

Darren
that sounds like an awful lot of oil.. hope something is done soon..

would I be right in thinking, unless they can round it up and skim it off, that using chemicals to break it down would be nearly as bad as the oil itself ?
AskCy,

unless they can round it up and skim it off, that using chemicals to break it down would be nearly as bad as the oil itself ?

Spot on! And quite commonly, the agents used just break up the slick to disperse it and sometimes make it sink so its out of sight (out of sight, out of mind). The detergents used are commonly more toxic than the heavy oils. As the oil floats, its impact is limited to marine birds and mammels, and the shoreline. If chemically treated, this increases the impact to submerged marine life and is generally not used these days, apart from in open water where there are no other options. A large boom would normally be erected around the slick, or parts of it where it can then be collected and pumped in to tanker out of harms way. The earlier the booms can be erected, the better so the slick doesn't extend too far. I doubt this will happen in this case, or not for quite a while. In that case, the slick will be widely dispersed making any clean up extremely difficult. A drop of oil can spread a long way, 12,000 tons, I hate to think (its already 70+ miles).

Fingers crossed the conflict is over soon, and this can be sorted. I won't be holding my breath though, even my scuba gear won't be enough! This'll be around for a good while yet. I'd expect oil to be in the region for 12+ months.

Darren
the slick is 70+ miles?.. isn't Cyprus only something like 100 miles from the coast??
I am off on holiday on Sunday morning (although we check in tomorrow pre booked etc). I will try and post from Cyprus. To one and all on this site thanks very much for all your advice and positive replies to my posts. I look forward to catching up on my return.
Have a lovely time neavsie :wave
Kath x
AskCy wrote:
the slick is 70+ miles?.. isn't Cyprus only something like 100 miles from the coast??

The slick stretches for 70 odd miles along the coast, but only a few miles out to sea.
Cyprus is not at risk yet and, unless it goes unchecked for quite some time, it is unlikely the slick will affect the islands beaches etc.

Mark
This site has satellite images of the slick, you can see the direction and how far it has travelled.

http://www.zki.caf.dlr.de/applications/2006/lebanon/lebanon_2006_en.html
Still not got the hang of posting a link correctly :oops:

Maurice
jimbox may be able to help us with this one, he will get the latest news on this development and whether the cypriot authorities are panicking yet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.