Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Oil Slick
9 Posts
Brunn,

The only story I've seen is this:

"Oil slick catastrophe

The Daily Telegraph counts the environmental cost with a satellite image of a catastrophic oil slick.

It is spreading northwards along the Lebanese coastline as a result of the bombing by the Israelis on an oil depot south of Beirut.

The paper says the 12,000-ton slick stretches 70 miles with experts warning the spill might reach the beaches of Turkey, Cyprus and Greece.

It says Israel's refusal to provide aerial pictures hampers any response."

Considering the wildlife in that area, I hope its not as bad as what is being reported. Currents in the Med are gentle so this will linger for a long time unless something is done about it sharpish. This could end up being quite a major incident, probably the worst the Med has ever experienced. If its true (you can never trust figures quoted in papers!) and there is a 70 mile / 12,000 ton slick, its a major dissaster.

I'm off to Icmeler in 3 weeks and will be diving half the time I'm there. The wildlife in the eastern Med isn't the most proliffic but sensitive. Events such as these can have huge consequencies for many years.

EDIT: Here's an update from the area. Sounds as bad as they feared. Yet another avoidable environmental dissaster.

Darren
The link that Dazbo5 posted reports that the slick occured in July on 13th and 14th if I remember correctly. :wink:

Therefore, how long would it potentially take if it was going to hit the Turkish coastline and has it done so already? :shock:

Sounds terrible, once again Israeli government made another huge error :evil:
Flying out to marmaris on monday i am now really worried about the oil slick . I just hope its not that bad
I just hope its not that bad

From what I've seen it is! Working in the environment industry (if you can call it that!), beleive me, this is a bad one. I've not been able to find the extent to which is has spread as yet, information is sketchy at the moment since its a volitile area. I'll see what I can find and post back. Considering the slight currents in that part of the med, the chances of it reaching the tourist areas of Turkey is probably slim at the moment, Cyprus is possible since thats quite close. It all depends on winds. If they shift to southerly / easterlies rather than the prevailing westerly, that'll shift it towards Turkey and Cyprus. I wouldn't worry too much about your holidays, I'm just concerned over the environmental implications of this because a clean up opperation is probably out of the question, for the time being at least. It'll be around for a while and could do extensive damage.

Darren
i was told the med's sea current flows in a clockwise motion so it will head south and along to egipt areas,
Another problem that may face the coasts, perhaps Turkey is the threat of jellyfish which are affecting Med sea coasts and closing beaches therefore no swimming :(
Thanks Dazbo for all the information. Just have to keep the fingers crossed that its not going to be as bad as predicted, but its a disaster whatever way you look at it! :? The oil will go somewhere!
There's a parallel thread in the Cyprus Forum since both Countries maybe effected.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.