Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
hi cally

i think the dolmus run till early hours of the morning, but that is in peak season ie july and august, best thing to do is when you do there if you use the bus then ask what time the latest one goes back or failing that get a taxi, there are always plenty of those around in Hisaronu.

Hope you have a fab time, i hope to return to Hisaronu again next July,, 50 weeks and counting!!!!

sue x
Hi Sue, Thanks for that, I will have to make sure I remember to ask...memory like a sieve!!. I dont think we will be staying out too late anyway so should be ok.
50 weeks and counting???.....i darent even start the countdown yet or I will be hopeless until we go, will be too excited!!. not that I'm not excited already, I am but if I start counting the sleeps....I will NEVER sleep!! :(
Many thanks for your help. Cally. ~x~
Hi I go to Olu Deniz Resort Hotel every year at least onc usually twice. I have three children of my own and have taken different children that I've fostered including children with special needs. I can assure you that the fussiest of eaters always found plenty to eat tho one of my daughters had a plate of rice, cucumber and grated carrot for lunch and dinner every day for a fortnight one year (because that was what she wanted not because there wasn't plenty of choice!) Usually there is things like chips, mashed potato roast potatoes, chicken and vegetables. At breakfast the omelettes and pancakes are delicious. I rarely eat outside the hotel itself as the children love it so much they have to be nagged to eat anywhere else!

I am a single carer and always find people to talk to - its a smallish hotel with a lot of return guests so it tends to have a real family feel and I have returned so often over past seven years because it is so safe for the children, its easy to supervise them and they can have fun whilst I get to chill as well. Trips we have enjoyed are the truck safari, horseriding, paragliding and the Aqua Park at Ovacik (its very small but kept my lot amused for an afternoon). The Blue Lagoon is stunning and we've spent loads of chill time there just paddling or out on the pedaloes.

Never been in April as the season doesn't relly get going until May but have been as early as 6th May and had a really lovely time.
One tip for you're return journey - take some food and drink either from the hotel or buy from shops outside the hotel - Dalaman airport is scandalously expensive!!!!
Hi oludenizdollz,
Many thanks for your reply. My son is really looking forward to the trips and things that we can do, he wasnt too keen at first but I think he is definitely coming round to the idea of Turkey now. I know that he will have a great time, its just with the way he is, he doesnt always like to try new things and he's never been to Turkey before so it took quite a bit of persuasion. I keep showing him pictures of the Hotel etc and he has admitted that its a lovely looking place so I think we are making progress!!

I hope that I havent made a mistake with the timing of my holiday but i'm sure we'll have a good time regardless, if only for the break away.

Thanks for the tip about the airport... I have taken a virtual tour round it and saw that they had a KFC which delighted my son no end so i suppose I will take him there if they are open and we need food just as a wee treat, but I will definitely take some snacks etc as I have read on several posts here that its very expensive. I will perhaps watch him eat a KFC while I nibble away at less expensive things that I have brought with me!!... lol!!
Thanks again for the reply.
cally. ~x~ :glynis
I am sure he will be fine when it comes to food!

As for the aqua park - we went to one that was about 10 mins from Oludeniz resort, it had about 8 different slides - cant remember the name sorry but the kids loved it and so did I.

The Oludeniz Resort Hotel is superb and I am sure your kids will love it - I wish we were back there.

have a good one - G
Hi Zoso, I have just been reading your post about going to Olu Deniz resort and was going to reply on there, however....here you are...lol!!.
I would be interested to read your review if you get around to posting one.
I take it you were all inclusive so perhaps you could let me know all that was actually included in your package...... Times etc for ice creams, drinks and snack bar etc. We dont usually do all inclusive but it was a good deal and i decided to go for it. This way I can perhaps persuade my son to try the local food a little easier than if we were going as we normally do (self catering or B&B) where his likes and dislikes tend to dictate where we eat. If its already on offer in the Hotel, he may be more inclined to try it.
I would be really grateful if you could let me know where you did eat on your meals out and what you had, prices etc. Any tips for around the resort woukld be really helpful.... you can never have too much info as far as i'm concerned!! :think
Most of the reviews are full of praise for the Hotel so I am confident that ts a nice place and the pictures of the area are stunning, I cant wait to go!!. Just short of 32 weeks now!!!!. YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!. :cheers

Glad you had a great time on your hols. Many thanks for your reply.
Cally. ~x~ :glynis
I will get a review up on here today - I did think I had done it already - sorry for that :duh

Anyway as for AI at Olu Resort - Local drinks are included (their own vodka, whiskey, gin and brandy). There where a couple of other things but no local bacardi if thats your tipple it will cost extra, don't know how much. Ice cream was served for 2 hours a day I think between 1pm and 3pm or around that time give or take 30mins. Snack bar was 12pm - 4pm and was ok (Burgers, Hotdogs, Pizza and chips). The pizza that is cooked at the snack bar is just frozen pizza but they are ok. They make fresh pizza twice a day at the oven by the main pool and they are magic (once around lunch time and then again about 6pm or 7pm). The salads and food in general in the main buffet are all of a very good standard and plenty of choice every night - we ate out 2 or 3 times however this was just to have a change not because of the food being served on the AI. On the occasions that we did eat out we went to Ottomans (very good) and I can't remember the name of the other place but it is after Buzz Bar (might be sun cafe) or something like that. We went there twice as my wife loved her fajitas so much. They set them on fire and bring them to the table still on fire :tup

It was our first time to turkey and also our first AI and we have booked up for 2009 to go to Royal Wings (AI) @ Lara Beach!! The only reason we are not going back to the Olu Deniz Resort is really just down to us wanting to try different parts of Turkey but we will return to Olu in the next few years.

The Turkish people are some of the nicest we have ever came across!! We just got the feeling that they loved that fact that you chose their country to have your holiday - you don't get that in Spain or any other country we have visited.

I am sure you will have a great time - PM me if you need any more info on the hotel or local area!!
Hi Zoso, Many thanks for your useful info. I looked the other day if you had done a review and you hadnt at that time, I will go now and check if you have put one on or not.
When I was asking about drinks, I was meaning soft drinks etc, I dont actually drink alcohol so bacardi or whatever wont really apply to me!! :cheers
I will PM if I need any more info...thanks very much.
If you are going to hisaronu by dolmus anyway, there is an English restaurant there, just along one of the main streets so if all else fails, you can take your son there, it does the pie and mash thing or the fish and chips thing etc etc (the menu is extensive) and they are lovely in there. I doubt you'll struggle though, they are SO accomodating in Olu that I'm sure you'll have no problem finding things you both like to eat.

Hope you enjoy your stay, it's lovely there :cheers
Hi Yummy... Many thanks for your reply. Even though we are all inclusive, I do intend to get out as much as possible to see the sights etc. I enjoy eating local dishes so its never a prob for me wherever we go, but my sons a different matter so its always good to have a back up plan~just in case!.
I just cant wait to get away now, its not been a very good Summer and this is giving me something to look forard to. Only 220 days, 12 hours, 36 mins and 26 seconds....... and counting!!!!. :sun2

:glynis Cally. ~x~
Hi- i have just come bacj from oludeniz ! do not worry about the food , at the main street there are plenty of restaurants which serves english food and all is very fresh and tasty. I would recommend you 'Sugar and spice' restaurant (grat staff, great food- try their fresh orange juice- yummy!!!). Food prices are approx. 20 YTL per person- which is 10 pounds, large beer approx.2,5- 5 YTL. english brekfast approx. 10 YTL. if you go to oludeniz you have to try paragliding - it costs 70 pounds per person- but you'll remember it all your life- it is totally great- at first i was a bit scared but there is nothing to be affraid of:) you should go on boat trip as well- it is a very nice day out! have a nice holidays!!!!bye!
Hi Karolkombo, many thanks for your reply. I am pleased to see that there are English Breakfasts around if need be. My son does love a good breakfast and that would set him up for the day and then just have a good dinner at night time. I am sure he will try the food while there but its always good to have a back up plan.
He is wanting to do the Paragliding and I need to remember to add it to my insurance. I dont really want him to do it, ( I might though!! :tup ) I think he will get to the top and be scared stiff but too embarrassed to say so!! :( we will see...
Will definitely make a note of Sugar and spice and sample their wares while we are out and about.
Many thanks for the info.
Only 215 days, 11 hours, 49 minutes and 39 seconds to go!!!
Callygirl

Not sure what age your son is but if you think he might get scared when he get's to the top, I would suggest he might not make it to the top. The trip up on the back of a jeep is just as scary as running off the top of the mountain if you ask me. It takes about 45-50 mins to get up to the highest point, the first half is in trees and you can't really see how high you are going! The second half is out in the open and thats when you realise just how high you are going!! I was sitting next to a boy from Belfast and when we got to the top I asked him if he was still ok about doing it and he said "well I am not going back down in that feckin jeep" - :rofl

G
Hi Zoso, Thanks for the response. My son will be 12 by the time we go. I dont think he will have a prob getting up there, its more the fact that he has to physically JUMP off the mountain in question!. Who knows though, maybe we will both get up there and realize we dont want to use either mode of 'transport' to get back down!!!!. :omg We could be stuck up there!! :rofl
Cally. ~x~
;)

If you are not worried about the trip up the mountain then you will be fine because you don't need to "JUMP" off, just a few steps and your off!!! :tup
I'm sure you will both love it!! I did it with the company that are based in the hotel, I think they are called Reactive or something!

I can email you some photos of the hotel if you want!!

G
Hi Zoso, I think its worth at least trying to do it, even if we dont quite manage it. Some pics of the Hotel would be great thanks, I look forward to seeing them.
Sorry for gatecrashing the thread but I wondered if someone could tell me how big the resort is ie ow many pubs/restaurants etc they have there.

I am looking to book for next year but as we have 2 small children we like to break the day up by having a wander about in the afternoons and again in the evening looking for nice places to have a drink etc. We dont want the resort to be so small that we get fed up of going to or looking at the same places for 14 days.
The brochures say a handful of places to eat but I dont know what their definition of a handful is!
Hi Kbaby77, lol!...please don't apologize for gatecrashing....the more the merrier!!. As you can see from starting this thread that i'm no expert on the place but have found many posts and posters really helpful. There is a site with a map of Olu Deniz here click on the pic at the top and the map opens up. If you hover your mouse over the arrows it tells you which Hotel is where, so you can get a good idea where something is in relation to the beach etc. From what I can gather, there is a road right up the centre of the resort where all the main shops etc are but I believe there are a few on the beach front too. I am going to be staying in the Olu Deniz resort Hotel, its at the very bottom of the picture.
I am going with my son who will be 12 when we go and we certainly intend to get out and about.
The beach as you can see is right on the doorstep to my hotel but apparently not too safe for little ones as it shelves quite steeply but there is the Lagoon which is great.
The Dolmus stops at the top end of the resort and they are cheap and handy to get about.
Where are you thinking of staying?. What do you like to do?. I am sure you will find plenty just a short ride from the resort if not in the resort itself.
I cant wait!!..... only 211 days, 12 hours and 3 mins to go!!! :cheers
Callygirl, Hi we are looking to book for May 09. After spending weeks reviewing all the hotels I think we will prob go for olu deniz resort too. It seems to be the best hotel for family rooms. Im a bit nervous because of the reviews its had lately though. It will be our first time AI, im not really looking forward to it as I am nervous on hols of getting tummy bugs and I know that by going AI theres a higher possibility of that happening, however the amount we spent sc last year was so high we thought we would give AI a go.

Me and Hubby like laying by the pool all hols and then enjoying a nice meal in the evening, however, with 2 small children theres zero chance of that happening so we tend to go to the pool in the morning and then have lunch and a walk about the resort and then back to the pool or beach in the afternoon. Hence why we need a resort wheres theres nice walks/things to see. Im in a muddle as to if Olu Deniz will be ok for us or if we should think about a bigger resort such as Bodrum or Kusadasi.

Im sure you will enjoy your holiday. Its nice booking it now esp after such a miserable summer back here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.