Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
hi Mike :)
Bit of a mix then. At least you enjoyed Pattaya in the end. Have to say I've never really felt it was a place I wanted to try. However, I know I would enjoy it if we went. How did you think food and drink prices compared to Goa? Haven't been since the rate plummeted for us. Would have said the hotels were better than in Goa but then you might have a different view.
Good to hear that Asia rooms refunded without a carry on.
Hotels in Pattaya that iv stayed in are far better than in Goa!
Iv been to both Goa and Thailand numerous times and highly recommend the Mercure Hotel and the Dusit in Pattaya. The dusit is a beautiful place to stay, i went there with Kuoni Holidays as part of a two centre hol, staying in the Holiday Inn Silom at Bangkok for a week first. The Holiday Inn Bangkok....excellent.
We travelled on family hols 6 times to Pattaya/Bangkok with adults/kids/teens....Love it!
Prices are a bit higher than Goa but hygiene, standards far higher.
American resturants/pizza Hut/Ben & Jerrys as well as the cheap thai eateries. Expect to pay around a pound or two in a thai resturant...maybe up to around 5-6 depending what you have! Less hassle on the street in Pattaya than Goa...in fact no hassle, beggars etc.
Are Pattaya and Goa very simular then?

I'm 24 and I love Thailand, this is a post I made on the Lonley Planet forums. No disrespect made to anyone here at all.

I had the misfortune of staying in Patya in Thailand for a night (I got stuck there) basically it was hell on earth; fat old bloke (I was joking when relating to India, I'm not now it's just an observation) with 14 y.o. girls on there arms, a beach full of deck chairs and high-rise after high-rise hotel. The place had been totally ****** I want to avoid places like that.

If I went to Goa what would I find? The beach huts, beauty and party atmosphere of Ko Phangan or the hell on earth of Patya?

I don't want to go to Thailand again I just want to find something as good. Is that Goa from what I said I like about Thailand?

What's you view on this?
Pattaya isnt for everyone - that's for sure. I like it for a couple of nights every six months or so as I live in a quiet place and it's a nice change of scene - some good bars, restaurants and the shopping isnt bad. But I wouldnt spend a couple of weeks there.

I doubt very much you saw 14 year old girls with old blokes. What you saw were 5 foot, 40kg adult Thai women with old blokes, that I can believe. They may have looked 14 to you, but they wont have been.
What's you view on this?

My view is don't go to Pattaya!

Never been, never will. 15+ visits to Thailand, last one 3 weeks ago, keep finding wonderful new places.

Last thing I want is to be surrounded by thousands of sweaty sex tourists, tescos and starbucks, on a construction site that is a truly poor representation of a great country.

And it wouldn't surprise me if they were 14 years old either. I support ECPAT's work, and although this is 4 years old, it's worth a read: http://www.ecpat.org.uk/downloads/Thailand05.pdf
l'd bow to Travelling Sams wider experience of Thailand than ourselves, we've only holidayed at different times in Bangkok, Cha-Am, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and yes the place he condemns without ever having been there, Pattaya. My wife and I are both in our early seventies, not sure if we're classified as a couple of the thousands of "sweaty sex tourists", mentioned or not. We stayed in a pleasant 5star hotel, "The Dusit Resort" which during our two week stay a few weeks ago, was clear of 14year old sex workers, or if they were there they wer'nt visible. Undoubtly there is an abundance of "Girlie Bars" in the seedier parts of town, but Pattaya is'nt alone in this. I spent four weeks in Sydney in April, one of Sydneys daily paper carries four pages of adverts for brothels and the like, so presumabley Travelling Sam will be well advised to steer clear of there as well,
Along the entire seafront of Pattaya there is a Holiday Inn just about completed, and a large shopping mall also now open and nearing completion. I'm afraid Pattaya runs well down the list of building sites such as Sydney and Dubai
Whilst Pattaya certainly is'nt everybodies cup of tea, they have recently attempted to clean up their act, and make the place more attractive to the likes of package holidaymakers, but blanket critciism from people who hav'nt even visited is surely not helpful. Alan
Having been to Pattaya I have to say we weren't keen. I guess we did it for a sense of completeness - but actually against the advice of the tour operator who said we probably would not enjoy it given knowledge of our previous stays in the Kingdom. The tour operator was right - we didn't. It was not just the seediness, but the fact it is a city, very busy, very built up with a so so beach, the high emphasis the hotel paid on security which I've not seen before or since in my trips to Thailand (but was probably deemed necessary due to the area). We stuck it out five days but we weren't enjoying it so rather than waste more of our holiday booked a flight to Samui from U Tapao and spent the rest of our time there.
I spent four weeks in Sydney in April, one of Sydneys daily paper carries four pages of adverts for brothels and the like, so presumabley Travelling Sam will be well advised to steer clear of there as well,

Hi Gramps,

It's not the sex industry i'm railing against be it Sydney, London, Atlantic City or Pattaya, it's the oldest industry in the world, and i've no qualms with it.

But unfortunately I have seen evidence of child sex tourism in South East Asia (Thailand, Indonesia and especially the Philippines), which is why Pattaya, renowned as the centre of Thailand's sex industry holds no appeal to me. However, it's good to see the UK & most Asia governments taking a tough stance on such offenders (you'll now see regular coverage in newspapers such as the Bangkok Post reporting on sex offenders being sent home to be charged in their home countries - a weekly e-mail I receive from Bali Discovery yesterday covered 1 Ozzie guy and 1 Brit). Which is why organisations such as ECPAT do such sterling work to bring it to the public's attention.

Pattaya is a massive tourist destination with the vast majority of people staying at fabulous hotels and enjoying the atmosphere, and I don't wish to denigrate that, and I apologise that if it came across that way. The Dusit, Royal Cliff, Amari are all great hotels that attract massive loyalty amongst it's UK clients. Indeed, one very large UK Tour operator counted the Woodlands Resort Pattaya as it's top selling Asian hotel (much to it's surprise when I instigated a room night count!), so I know how popular it is - it's amazing how many long stay guests it attracts from the UK (particularly retired people which is great).

But, it's not for me. Might sound strange having never been though.

Koh Kradon & Similian Islands are on my hit list next...!
We went to Pattaya a couple of years ago. The only reason was because I'd read it had cleaned up it's act and was more couple and family friendly. We stayed at the Woodlands and saw nothing untoward. The second week we moved on to the beautiful Rabbit Resort which we loved. However, their hotel directory (you know the one you get with the rules and Regs) ... first rule was a jaw dropper 1) No Child Sex. Thank God the owners don't sanction such a terrible thing.

As much as we loved the Rabbit (owner Deb the American lady's Thai husband was born in the year of the Rabbit and hence it's name) I cannot see us returning which is a shame really as I'd go back in a heart beat if the hotel was paced elsewhere.

Cheers Geri
Very fair posts Travelling Sam and Sunbear, I was merely trying to point out that in fact it's not only sex tourists that visit Pattaya. Many, such as ourselves, are attracted by the excellent hotels such as "The Dusit" and "Woodlands", the ease to get about, the short transit time from Bangkok, with the new Mall, some first class shopping etc. If one is located in the northern part of Pattaya you are far removed from the "anything goes" southern part such as Walking Street. Alan
Have just returned from a week at the Rabbit Resort in between city-breaks in BKK and Singapore, and I have to say it was a slightly surreal experience: the hotel itself is charming, intimate, beautifully landscaped. The service was both friendly and immaculate, rooms and food excellent, and the golf on surrounding courses was great, but all the time there is the shadow outside of stout-to-whalesized European males of a certain age accompanied by their conspicuously more attractive Thai girlfriends-du-jour (or week). It's a bit like leaving Eden when you pop out to the shops. And this of course is Jomtien, which is only Pattaya-Lite. We never ventured into Sodom itself. All in all, an oasis surrounded by a cultural desert. Unless you like water theme parks and dubious elephant rides, or the skin trade.

With any other location I'd go back to the Rabbit in a flash. We probably will anyway - the golf down there is a steal. Try Phoenix CC or the Thai Royal Navy course (where the green-fee is about EUR 15 on weekdays). If anything can save the Pattaya region from itself, it might just be the lure of the links. It sure as hell isn't the great white 20-storey concrete monsters that make up most of the hotels and condotels along the strip. But then again, if you are IN one of them, I suppose you don't actually have to LOOK at it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.