Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Oh no Kedi, coming with half a tale!! :yikes Now I'm dying to know which bars and shops they have demolished - and we don't fly out again until 26 April (got no leave left at work - boo!).

You know, it really does worry me that if they knock shops and bars down, people going out to Gumbet early next season may be put off if they haven't finished rebuilding everything - and you know what they're like, nothing's done in a rush and they do have a slight tendency to leave things unfinished!! It really could put the tourist trade back a bit.

When they knocked down the restuarant on the same side as Leos Bar, across from Chinatown and down a bit (the one on the corner where you can walk down to the Magnific), that looked bad enough as they just put hoarding up round it. With that, and the Baba Hotel lying empty and unkempt - well, much more and it will really look bad. Won't put me off mind 'cos we love the place and spend a lot of time in other parts of Gumbet - up towards the back and out towards Konacik, etc where all the local places are.

If you find anything out, do let us know.

JAKKI xx
I hate half a tale!!,Well some of the bars needed knocking down in Marmaris,at night they didnt look so bad,but in daytime they were shacks,but there was some really good restaurants along there,now demolished with the others,even my favourite one,it wont be quite the same anymore,but life goes on. :cheers
I know, I couldn't believe it when he said he didn't know which bars! Oli's is the place you are talking about isn't it Jakki? One place they should demolish is that half built hotel donw near the Jasmin Beach end, the one that has been there for about 10 years...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, there is alwasy loads of building work going on in the winter, I remember the first year I spent the winter there I couldn't believe what it was like, I never thought they would get it sorted out by the start of season but they always managed.

I have heard that they are now doing demolitions in Side too so looks like it is happening all over.

I will let you know if I get any more information.

Kedi
hi kedi....hope they arent biting off more than they can chew...doing too many places at same time....hope there's enough skilled manpower to rebuild in such a tight timescale...a lot of people would be put off hearing about all the demolisions ...sounds like they are knocking turkey down and starting again....reminds me of when they decided to demolish the old parts of liverpool...ripped the heart out of her...never was the same place...one of the reasons I dont go back...so hope they know what they are doing...glad I decided on bitez...and 2011..tweetie
Just wondering if this has anything to do with the proposal from two years ago to extend the walkway in Marmaris (breadth wise). I seem to recall those in the 'The Garden' Restaurant were concerned about how much space they would loose.

Wilson ;)
Just seen a picture of a flattened 'Garden' Restaurant in Marmaris ... very sad, had some great memories in there.

Wilson ;)
Have a look on You Tube and you can see some of the demolition in progress.

Wilson ;)
EDIT: Sorry, weblink removed as we are unable to link to You Tube videos or external video hosting sites. Dazbo HT Mod
does anyone know wether they are going to re-build these bars in marmaris and will they be ready for next summer ,
people will not want to go if there is no restaurants or clubs
anybody knows anything keep me in touch thanks,
I'm sure they will have them all rebuilt by the beginning of next season, they can build things pretty quick in Turkey if they want to.
hi kedi
i honestly dont think they will re-build them all its going to loose a lot of tourism next year ,
i have booked for next june and i am thinking about having a change in2011 marmaris willnot be the same iwould like to try fethiye have you been to fethiye
tony
jakki gumbett
you must be jumping up and down like a cat on hot bricks thinking about your property ,hope everything is ok ,i bet you cant wait till you get out there did you say april
and here im thinking about my holiday in marmaris in june,
tony
I know the seaside clubs will be rebuilt, beachclub and Bax X and the like for next season however they will have a strict rule about music and that they must start stopping it say 11.30 pm to 1 am. I know this rule is about right not but it hasn't been enforced on the seaside. We shall see what happens....
Hi Tony, luckily our house is at the back of Gumbet on the Konacik border and it's legal (well as far as we know but this is Turkey LOL!!). Yeah, we're out there again in April and staying for 10 weeks, then home for 8 weeks and then out again for another 9 weeks so really looking forward to it.

Let's just hope that both Marmaris and Gumbet are rebuilt quickly (and safely and legally) so that we all our enjoy our holidays next year.

Jak xx
A considerable amount of properties on Longbeach have been knocked down on the order of the Mayor of Marmaris, Over 100 are to be demolished and this has started, Those deemed to be demolished did not apply for planning permission when they were built, Most of these will be rebuilt to much smaller premises and no Disco type buildings will be allowed to open.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Old hat Robert ,not like you .Take a look at the topic posted by crispy naked :whoops named places demolished . :D
BAR X is being relocated to bar street but beach club will be rebuilt in the same place, minus planning permission in time for next summer. :rofl You got to love Turkey!
gumbet jakki
what eve news you get for gumbet / marmaris please keep me informed
tony
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.