Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
As far as I'm led to believe, in quite a number of cases, it's not the whole building which has been demolished, but only the parts which are deemed to be "illegal" and don't have the correct permission. There are a few places which have gone completely - mainly down by the promenade - but in others, it seems to be the outside bar areas with covered roofs which have been destroyed, which I believe is the case with Dreamboys.
Dreamboys situation is a little tricky. The premises where they used to run the bar is a part of the hotel. So bylaw, it should be the hotel running the business since this area is not seperated from the main building licensed as a hotel. So the area is not a complete separate shop etc to have its own legal license. So, this is what the council is cracking down on. Now, dreamboys, from last of what I heard will try to come to some sort of agreement with the hotel owners to keep running under the hotel's legal umberalla.
Regardsless, they will need to keep their outdoor roof at a distance of 2mt from the sidewalk as well as fit well with other prerequisites such as having the minimum area of 45 sqmt for their kitchen and suitable sitting area with washrooms that are at least 1.5 sq mt etc will have to be met.

On the other side, most of your favorite places and people will probably stick around by aquiring new places. Those who have not done well will probably leave but at the end of all this messing about, in the long run, left over bars/restaurants will actually start making money, which in turn will lessen the amount of hassle tourists are faced with and other small crimes. Also, the quality of the service and goods may then increase and businesses should start in competing in quality rather than the quantity afterall.

Rami
http://www.icmeleronline.com
Change is inevitable in any walk of life - and whatever the changes in Icmeler, I don't think it will put people off visiting. The place has a charm all its own - and the friendliness and welcoming nature of the people there are what makes holidaying there so special.
I love Icmeler and have been going for years and I have to admit I am looking forward to going again next year and seeing the changes. I personally though Icmeler was losing a bit of her old charm, maybe this will bring it back.

I am unhappy that a couple of my favourit haunts have been demolished :( , but this will only give me more adventure next year finding new places (if there are any left ;) )

Change is not always a bad thing.

Lynn
I think this may be a good thing, change is sometimes good and if it keeps Icmeler as a family resort I am all for it.

If my understanding of the Hurrinet news is correct I believe that the Mayor even targeted his own daughters restaurant as its roof extension was none compliant, this proves he is being fair, I also understand that all the restaurants/bars owners/landlords were informed in August that changes would need to be made at the end of the season so that they came within the planning permissions, if they have failed to do this (And they have had 6 weeks since the end of the season) then I understand why the council is now taking action as in the end there is only a short closed season to complete the work. The people I feel sorry for are those who rent the property and the landlord has failed to implement the change.

As always I look forward to my visit next year.

Dave
Hi Folks,I am back and have just seen some photos of the Co co beach,Cafe Anne,Erdem cafe and Sports bar etc on Icmeler on line.
Thanks to Dinky-cath for posting them.
The place just doesnt look the same along the beach front. :cry
Hey folks hold on to your horses. :cheers Lets keep things friendly. :tup I dont wanna get involved in bitching but reading this I thought I'd put what I heard about the demo. May be just rumour but I was told by a guy whose wife works in turkish government that they have an agenda to clean up tourist resorts coz the president wants them to be less boozy brash as he sees them. he is very conservative and is anti booze, fags, loud music, sexy lasses that kind of thing. so he is slowly knocking them down and making it less attractive for holidaymakers. he hates booze and bars :que and thinks women should dress covered up and has started on knocking down bars and places where holidaymakers go.

Please don't take this as gospel, it was just what I have been told and I cant say how true it is or not but they have no reason to lie about it to me and they would not make it up Lets hope they have the wrong rumour or something coz it would be bad if our fave resorts was stripped of our best places. :( gb
This is definitely a gossip because there is no rulings on booze etc with what the council is doing plus, the parties that are in power in Icmeler or Marmaris are not of the same party that as the majority of the government. Anyways, politics is different but like i said, what is being done was actually done to stop illegal construction and demolish thos places illegally built.

From the national newspaper: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/13106692.asp?gid=233

I will translate what the mayor has said about it to this newspaper:

İçmeler Belediye Başkanı Eren, quote removed due to copyright. Please refer to the link above. Dazbo HT Mod

Eren, The mayor of Icmeler: "We have sent notifications to all business owners in question many months ago. There have been businesses who had gone into revisions and complied with the legal requirements. (out of 200 receipents, based ont he article) 48 establishments who have not complied with the asked renovations or regulations have been knocked down on our own expense. We will continue to monitor and control against illegal developments during the winter. In places of demolished areas, we will build new walkways, and build parks and gardens to allow citizens to enjoy recreation and entertainment."

My only criticism would be, why were they allowed to build these (illegal) places in the first place!
Rami
ICR Travel
I have found a bookmark that we were given at Coco beach a few years ago and it states it has been there since 1986!
The major or council have took there time to demolish it!
Erdem and Cafe Anne only had large parasols in the eating areas so I still dont understand why these have been mowed to the ground. :cry
It looks like it is going to be just like the old days, i did like it when it was quiet
JayTrip, Cocobeach will still be there :) When it was there in 1986, it did not have that huge garden space and starting from 2010, it will not have that huge garden space.But the building was and will there... The area they were using to serve customers probably belongs to the city. That space will be used as a park or garden for people to use now...

Please note that, there are nomain buildings being demolished, only areas that were illegaly occupied, covered, or built on is being cleared.

Rami
Rami,Thats good as if the Erdem is not there next year, Coco Beach will be our venue for lunch. :sun2
Groovybaby, as Rami says, that is just gossip. The only reason they are demolishing places is because they were built illegally, the government may want to tidy places up but that would be to encourage more tourists not keep them away. I can understand them wanting to try to keep away from the cheap boozy image some places seem to be getting but they certainly wont want to stop holidaymakers, after all tourism brings an awful lot of money into the country.

So while they are knocking down some places they will also be building new places and making the resorts look a lot nicer.

Maybe the president is very conservative but there are enough Turkish people who enjoy drinking and smoking and the majority of modern Turkish women living in cities don't cover up either.

Don't worry, it is all being done to make the resorts better and to encourage tourism.
Kedi,I hope they dont touch Seray Zetas,the best restaurant in Turkey. :tup
Hi Guys, I'm Goin Icemeler 7th June Next year. Will It All Be Finished Then? Dont Really Fancy Going With Buildings Being Knocked Down And Everything A Mess!!

Thanks

Stef :wave:
stef2009,

Everything is being done at this time of year to minimise any disruption. I'm sure everything will be sorted for the start of the next holiday season.

Darren
All building work has to stop by a certain time in April in Icmeler Steph so don't worry you will have a great time :)
Jay Trip wrote:
Kedi,I hope they dont touch Seray Zetas,the best restaurant in Turkey. :tup

I haven't heard anything but I hope not, that restaurant has been around for so long I'm sure they will be fine. :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.