Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Places demolished
181 Posts
Just seen some pictures of it all happening,Natalies restaurant as well.
Crispy, where did you read this? When we were in Gumbet at the beginning of November, they were saying that they had to get tid of overhangs that were over a metre in length. Radio Bar had started work already and others were going to do it during the winter but nobody said anything about them being demolished. Mind you maybe they were keeping it quiet from us in case we didn't go back - if they demolish 300 in Gumbet, there'll not be much of the place left :yikes

I know quite a few had to take down or shorten their overhangs (the bit that makes the outside inside if you know what I mean).
If they demolish 300 bars in Gumbet there will be nothing left, there aren't even that many bars there :yikes

They often take down a few places in winter and rebuild them for the next season.
Thanks for that morh, makes interesting reading. It's a bit frightening if it's true about the 300 being demolished. I see there was a quote from one restaurant owner which said it made his shop smaller which would tie in with what we were being told about removing overhangs and that. My fear is that they DO knock down 300 buildings - what would Gumbet be like and even if they started rebuilding, surely it wouldn't all be ready for next year - which would ruin the tourist trade there. I will try and make some further enquiries from people I know living over there to see what is actually happening. Hopefully, I can get a clearer picture.
Hi Gumbet Jakki

As you say it makes interesting reading.

Athough I have visited Bodrum/Gumbet I dont have the knowledge that you have but I do find the figure of 300 quite incredible given the size of the place. I will be watching the forum with interest and will be curious to hear more about the situation.

Regards.
There are a lot of shops that have just appeared in front of other buildings and there are also a lot of half built places that have been there for years and never finished. Maybe it will actually make it all a bit tidier. 300 is still a huge amount though! My husband has a few friends who live in Gumbet over winter time too so I will let you know if I find out anything more.

Kedi
Hi Kedi

I am sure between yourself and Gumbet Jakki you will find out a bit more and can pass it on to the forum.

Thanks.
I've asked a few questions and will post more when I know. Apparently they've already started on Gumbet market but this is to be renewed. I can agree with the half-built places that should be pulled down - we've seen building skeletons that have remained the same for at least six years and they really could do with removing. I just hope they don't go mad and spoil the place - Gumbet had a kind of charm all of its own and surely there was something to be said for that. A sterile place that looks like any other resort would spoil it for a lot of people.
What about the cost of rebuilding? :cry

Prices will have to go up. :cry
Yeah, that was bothering me too. It really will be interesting to see what is happening and who it is affecting. You know, if prices go up, it could hurt the tourist trade as there are still quite a few people who visit Gumbet and other such places because of the better value they get. If prices rise somewhere similar as closer places in Europe, people may decide to go to Spain, etc where the flights are cheaper. Let's hope someone somewhere knows what they are doing!!
Sorry about back to back postings but someone was just telling me that they did this in Kusadasi a few years ago and it wasn't wholesale demolition, more the "extra" bits that were built on to existing buildings to make them bigger were knocked down. Now that I can understand 'cos the extra bits would have been illegal additions. This also tends to tie in with what we were being told at the end of the season.
This would definitaly put people of booking for bodrum or gumbet for next year...Im looking at bitez for the following year...hope they dont have the same idea for there
I think it is just the extra bits Jakki as they are the parts that aren't licenced. Don't worry Tweetie, Bitez is much smaller than Gumbet and there really aren't any bits added on the the shops there so I wouldn't think there will be much change.

A lot of building work does go on in the winter time anyway but finished by the next season so I don't think there is any need to worry, I'm sure the council know what they are doing.
Kedi, just the extra bits is exactly what they told us when we were there - so I think you're probably right and the knocking down of over 300 buildings may just be a bit of an exaggeration.
Not just the extra bits in Marmaris!they have completely Knocked the places down.
I'm sure they will knock some places down in Gumbet too, we will have to see what is happening. My husband hasn't phoned any of his friends yet but I'm sure they will be able to tell him what has been demolished.
hi all...I understand that its a risk you take if you build ect without a licence ect...but when the rules are not inforced people get the idea they can do it....and they do

There could be long standing bussinnesses that people are relying on for a living and maybe also employing others....what will happen to these people if their building is knocked down...couldnt imagine there would be any kind of compensation if it was unlicensed...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.