Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
i too go to this place on 17th aug any info would be great
many thanks
s.belshaw
Like most big resorts Rethymnon is spread out along a long stretch of beach, the nearer the town the busier the beach and the more bars, tavernas and hustle and bustle. The further out you get the quieter it is with only a handful of tavernas and supermarkets but I personally think nicer beaches and coves to explore. Platanes is fairly low key but has tavernas and supermarkets and a few bars. Enough not to have to venture into town every night but you will probably want to go into town a couple of nights for a bit more life and a choice of restaurants.

I think the local bus runs along the main road into Rethymnon town and a taxi wouldn't be that expensive but someone else may be able to give you more info as it is 20 years since I worked there at the May hotel and Trefon Apartments.

Don't check out the resort reports for on this site as they refer to Platanias in Skiathos and NOT Platanes in Crete even tho they are under the Crete section so this is very misleading (and incorrect).
Hi Bec's
You didnt say when you was going so this might be too late, i came back from there on 9th sept and had great week, the cost of a taxi to reth is about 5 euros, but you can get bus tickets from any shop on main street for 1.20 euro one way but you need to get ticket before you get on bus.
we hired a jep for 3 days which cost 145 euros, and traveled to south coast took about 45mins to 1 hour to get to frankocastello which has a great little beach, and also went to plakias to get there you need to be on main highway and head for spili, we also went to georgioupolis which is great place and have already booked to go there next year, try the lake at kournas too freshwater, they have peddaloes and a handfull of tavernas.
as i said it might be too late but just might be what someone else is looking for.... :D
Hi MICKYDEE,
Where abouts did you stay, we have booked the Christina apartments in September next year any ideas what they are like?
Think i saw thoose they look nice but then it is all down to what you expect in crete apartments, very basic unless you go for the big hotels but hey they only for sleeping in.
we stayed at the marianthi apartments they where clean and comfortable but would not recomend them unless you want to upset the natives by not staying around their pool and snack bar all day
Have you been to crete befor redjoe?
No this will be our first time, We have been to most of the main Greek islands this was another on the wish list. We have normally gone all inclusive when we took the kids but now it's just the two of us we find it a bit boring stuck in one place. We went self catering to Kos earlier this year and though overall it works out just as expensive we liked the freedom it gave us. The christina apartments have good reviews and as long as they are clean and near to the beach and taverna's we don't mind as we won't be in the appartments all day.
I think you will like it there mostly all the apartments are just off the main drag where all the taverna's and shops are, there is also 2or3 supermarkets, just have to be bit carefull as road gets very busy, there is a walk down to the beach but worth it when you get there it is lovely, for 6 euros you get your 2 sun beds, table and a chair and of course parasol, there is 2 tavernas down there also , and a guy comes round the beach selling pastries which are yummy but big.
you can get buses to chania and rethymanon which are worth a visit, but if you hire a car that is a lot better and the roads are very easy to drive on.
we too are on our own now and find self catering a lot better, our eveing meal would cost around 26-30 euros for the 2 of us and included starters and drinks, just be carefull in the harbour at rethymanon we went in a fish taverna (the oldest in the harbour ha) and hubby had lobster i just had chicken and the bill was 95 euros that was his treat of the hols ha ha.
well if you need any more info just ask and will see if i can help have fun next year
Dee
Thanks for the information, we are doing this holiday indepently as I booked flights with XL.com with my tesco club card vouchers and then booked the appartments with thomson the whole week cost just over £200 pounds for a week so quite a bargin. We are also of to Santorini In May to celebrate our silver wedding so really looking forward to next year.
We just returned from Platanes last Sunday, so i've only just seen your reply Mickydee! Not to worry, we had an excellent week, really liked the area as it wasn't over-run with English bars or pubs. It had many greek tavernas and bars which suited us, everyone was really friendly, our favourite taverna being the Garden Taverna, and really liked La Strada bar. Also this area seemed alot cheaper than most other holidays.
We stayed in the Eveline Apartments which were off the main road, at the back of the resort. They were really clean and spacious with lovely pool area, nice and quiet too.
We went into Rethymnon twice in the evening, first time we went to the harbour, my advice is check out the menus first as some are alot more expensive than the others for the same things. Rethymnon itself was a bit more expensive to eat and drink out, but certainly worth going to, we used to get the bus in then catch a taxi home.
We also hired a car for 2 days from Venus Car Rentals on the main road. We managed to see quite a bit in that time, went to the Imbros Gorge which was good and doesn't take as long as the Samaria Gorge, found some lovely beaches for a swim too.
All in all it was a great place and would definitely stay there again!
We have just booked the Christina Apartments for two weeks Aug 08. Previously stayed at Inn on the Garden (fantastic), every amenity available although would recommend a couple of nights out in Rethymnon. As long as the Christina is clean and friendly, we'll be happy. Beach as I recall was brilliant!!
hi i'm terry,i think you'll find the cristina apartments ok,there have been people going back there year after year,they do cater for the english and are very friendly,me and my wife spend a lot of time in platanes alltho we live 20 killometres away from there,we find the resturants are better and cheaper than rethymno,we moved here 2 years ago and never want to go back to the uk,even winters are not that cold
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.