Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Hello Darren, Buses are no problem direct from Pollensa. They go regularly from the old town, just a short walk from the Posada de Lluc to outside the old bus station.

The beach you may be referring to could be Cala San Vicente, between Pollensa and the port. There are three coves there, arguably the best is that in the lower part (Cala Molins) where you will also be close to some decent eateries such as Balaixa Bistro.

I remember our previous thread so I guess you have some info from that as well.
Pollensa is a lovely little town.

One of the most important things to do, is to climb the 365 steps of the calvary to the chapel at the top of the hill.

If you are really energetic, a walk up the Puig Maria is excellent. This is a big hill beside the town (the path is signposted off the main road). It is very steep and takes an hour to walk up (in the heat!). The cobbled section near the top is quite slippery, but at the top is a sanctuary which is very picturesque. if you walk out beyond it, you come to a ruined tower and spectacular views over the bay of Pollensa. There is a cafe at the sanctuary.

Back in the town, there is a museum/art gallery which is quite interesting.

Cafe Espanyol in the square is good for drinks and lunches, they serve "pam boli" (spelling?), traditional mallorcan bread with olive oil, ham and/or cheese, with a bowl of olives.

One restuarant we were taken to, by some local friends, was La Fonda, also near the square.

The beach you are talking about north of Pollensa is Cala san Vicente, this is a pretty little resort, doesn't have much shade if it hot though.

Puerto Pollensa has lots of beach. The widest part is near or south of the harbour, where there are lots of sunbeds and shades for hire. The northern end is narrower, but you must walk along the Pine Walk. The beach is narrower here, although there is some shade under the trees. Sadly a lot of trees were lost in storms a few years ago. However the mix of old and new villas just back from the seafront makes this area most interesting, along with the cosmopolitan, relaxed atmosphere. It's good in daytime or evening"¦but a little tricky to negotiate after dark though!

Another walk is to the Boquer valley. To save me all the hard work of describing it, I've found this delightful account here"¦
http://www.nymcam.co.uk/061601.htm

hope this gives you some ideas :)
Hi, can recomend the Boquer valley walk, although the bay at the end was dissapointing because of all the rubbish washed up on the beach, but the walk outweighs this. Be sure to take a box of Alpen or cornflakes, the goats on this walk love it and eat straight from yor hands or the box! Very strange feeding a goat with the sea lapping your feet!
There is also a light house near Puerto Pollensa (cant remember the name) the drive is a little hairraising but the view from the top is breathtaking, be sure to go early as you dont want to be meeting coaches coming the other way as the road is narrow and its a mountain road. You will love Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa everyone falls in love with it.
Enjoy.

Sally
The lighthouse is the Faro (Far) at Formentor. Yes, breathtaking and very hairy.
Thanks for the advice everyone and thanks again for the earlier recommendation on the hotel.

What is the best way for us to get to the coves at San Vicente given that we won't have a car. Is it far from Pollenca?

Is there any other restaurants that you would recommend other than those noted. I assume most are located around the square anyway.
Darren. You can get a bus to Cala San Vicente from Pollensa. There are five a day, 8:15, 9:45, 13:00, 15:15 and 17:00. It's about 8 kilometres from Pollensa, so a bit of a walk otherwise.

As for the restaurants, there are three or four in the main square but if you take to the streets off the square and around the town, you'll discover some other very worthy places like Trencadora. Also there are some outside of Pollensa going towards the port, like L'Aup and Balaixa, both really nice.
Cala San Vicente is the beach you want to visit, not only the beaches, the scenery is stunning
Are the different coves at Cala San Vicente all close to each other?
Cala San Vicente is a very small resort, almost a one street town. There is only one main road running in/out and everything in the bay is fairly close to there.
The one thing I notice you have not gotten an answer to is buses to Palma. The regular service from Puerto Pollensa runs thru the middle of Pollensa. Not every Palma bus stops there, some are direct non-stop, but most do stop.
Note that the buses (all buses) no longer stop outside what was the bus station just off the Plaza Major. They now stop on a main road near the edge of town...as you stand at the bottom of the steps in the Plaza Major just in front of the restaurant, with your back to the church, take the street on the extreme right. Walk to the end and the bus stops are just to your right.
The Barques and Clara coves are right next to each other as you come into Cala San Vicente. The road goes in two directions by the Simar Apartments. Left it winds down to the lower part of the resort where you'll find the Molins cove.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.