Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
hi everyone, i'm flying out to albena on the 10th of july, after reading these posts I'm a little concerned about how quiet the resort is going to be, as i would l like to have plenty of things for my family to do, also has anyone stayed in the hotel panorama, What is it like is the food any good? etc etc. I'm a first timer to bg and are coming out there with balkan holidays are we likely to be met by a rep at the airport, as dont really want to be stranded in bg, with my kids looking really lost.

Also can aonyone suggest, so good thing to do local to albena, which wont cost a small fortune as coming out there with a part of six.

thanking you all in advance

roobear
roobear. There will be a rep after baggage reclaim in Varna. There are only two carousels for luggage so suggest 3 at each one. I presume you are either Man or Gat, so arriving at about 10.30pm, you trip to resort will be in darkness, you will think you are in middle of nowhere, but you do get there. There are plenty of water sports (costly and make sure you have the right insurance) Horse riding, Indoor Bowls, a couple of small amusement Parks and quite a bit on Seafront, Panorama was completely refitted two years ago. Looks a little tired from outside, but am told its great inside. Tonyt
thanks for the reply tonyt, slightly off topic, my wife and mother inlaw who are coming on holiday, are smokers can you smoke anywhere within varna airport, I hope they can for the sake of my sanity as they can turn into right grumpy ones if they cant have a cigarette, this is at arrival as well as departure.

thanks again for the reply

roobear
roobear, sorry to say (for your sake) you cannot smoke on arrival until you have got your luggage and outside main doors, but on departure, you can go out on the balcony overlooking runway and they can smoke (this should make the return trip better for you) fags were 19 euro for 200 in Duty free at Varna. cheaper and safer that you buy in resorts. Anymore fire away. Cheers. Tonyt
Just an update on buses from Albena to Dobrich for anyone planning to make the trip.

I have noticed, from notices in Dobrich Bus Station, that the reduction in tourist numbers this year has meant that the frequency of most buses to (and, presumably, from) Albena has been reduced from what has usually been every 20 minutes to 20, 30 or 40 minute intervals, depending on the time of day.

The fare is still 5 Leva each way.

Dobrich taxi fares are from 75 Stotinki per kilometre (daytime), rising to 85 Stotinki after 10:00 p.m.

Baldur
beer cartell excellent value as usual food excellent also
Hi everyone, i'm flying on friday to varna from manchester and staying in albena for a couple of weeks, I've been looking at the weather forecasts for the next few days, and they are predicting thunderstorms, i know these things are far from 100% accurate, but what i am wondering are thuderstorms in this area just contant rain or am i likely to be able to get about a bit and still experience some sun shine in between them Or is it gonna be so bad, that we are gonna be confined to the hotel for a few days, as i dont really wanna repack now, for a couple of days of wet weather albeit hot wet weather. As you can gather this is my first time to bg and not sure what to expect weather wise
Roobear,
Thunderstorms can be very short lived, but spectacular, now the forecast I am looking at shows the following,
Sat 34
Sat Eve Thunderstorms
Sun Rainy
Mon 28
Tues 33
Then for the next 10 days averaging 31 on each.
try this site. http://www.accuweather.com/world put Dobrich,Varna in box. Cheers Have fun Tonyt
Hi Tony,

Very heavy thunderstorms in the Dobrudzha region yesterday for about 5 hours - torrential rain, quite cool & no electricity for much of the day from around 11:30.

The local radio forecast for the next few days (until Monday/Tuesday) is for more thunder/rain in the afternoon/evening.

It has been very warm to hot while I have been here, but there have been several much-needed (by the local farmers/gardeners) rain showers - mainly after lunch.

Baldur
As you say Baldur the farmers etc will be pleased, last year everywhere was so dry and there had not been rain for such a long time that people were beginning to suffer I think. Friends' daughter not best pleased as she arrived on the 8th and anticipated laying out in the sun and getting a good tan :( , hopefully not too much rain around when I arrive on the 5th August. Hope you are enjoying the peace and quiet Baldur, I know I am looking forward to it, especially after a recent Ofsted, one more week of term, then I can perhaps clear up my room and catch up on paperwork. Nels
We're well and truly counting down now to the 7th August, thunderstorms sound impressive i have to say! Saw an awful review of our hotel (Magnolia) the other day, but i think sometimes it's best to ignore any reviews before you go and just have an open mind about it!! :cheers
Hi tonyt, we met when we stayed at the Hotel Bratislava in Sept 2005 when you went with your family. How are you? How is Albena, by the looks of things it seems to have changed quite a lot, and what happened to the Hotel Bratislava as I believe the following year they were going to upgrade it. Anyway speak to you soon, kind regards. John and Caroline, Bromley Kent
Well we got back on Friday (21st), had a fantastic time, we needn't have worried about the hotel because it was great! I put a review on a day or so ago.
The resort itself was very quiet considering the time of year, some hotels were closed because they weren't busy enough, but anyway we had a great time.
One thing i will say, i know this site is all about people sharing their experiences of holidays, i would always advise people to take any reviews with a pinch of salt, it's easy to look at reviews and take everything they say literally but it's just one person's opinion. Obviously if people have bad experiences at hotels they're going to report that but just because they did doesn't mean you will.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.