Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
me 2..we got home on thurs last wek,.,we had another wonderful time,...read my trip report on here..we were at the angela...we love fuengirola and los boliches...
So sorry to hear of your terrible experiences in this resort, personally I have no experience of Fuengirola but feel that perhaps it is a resort described by the tourist industry as 'lively' or 'vibrant', which roughly translates as 'rowdy' and, as in your particular case, attracting those of a criminal leaning.
We made the same mistake when holidaying in Marmaris, Turkey, last year.
But we holidayed in Salobrena, in the Costa Tropical, this year, and it is truly a fantastic place, a real Spanish pueblo next to the sea, with miles of unspoilt beaches which seldom get crowded, even in peak season. And if your young sons get bored there is nearby Alumnecar, Motril, or various mountain treks and trips to Granada etc.
We often left our possessions unattended when swimming or going for ice-cream and the locals on the beach would keep an eye on them for us, in fact Salobrena has a great community spirit which is probably missing from larger resorts.
Give it a try next time, you won't regret it.
Sorry for the slow reply Ardath.

You're right about Fuengirola being lively or vibrant, but I thought it would be great (and safe) for two teenage boys in the evenings. Such a shame we were proven wrong. I can't fault the hotel Yaramar though, just a shame about it's location!

One thing about Fuengirola though, it's a lovely base for sight seeing, so many lovely places to see.

In my original post I said four Spanish boys/men beat up my two sons; after thinking about it, my sons don't speak Spanish so the boys/men could have been from anywhere, so I was unfair to say Spanish.
Kay

Meant to say sorry about the situation you had, this is very rare and can just about happen in any resort city in uk/europe, I have visited many cities, Barcelona/rome/milan and not once did I feel threatened I knew that I had to have my wits about myself, unfortunetley I did see people in barca that had been pick pocketed robbed etc, you two sons were very unlucky, and dont let this put you of visiting fuengirola / Costa del sol again, this was a one off...I live in manchester, and again we have trouble here with gangs of lads robbing other lads for money / mobile phones etc, but again I never in my life of living in manchester have witnessed or had any of this...

Glad you did like the yaramar hotel...its lovely..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.