Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
welcome to HT Zurrieq
I merged several threads together which I hope will help. :D
The below is one I posted earlier on THIS thread. It was about driving at night from Varna to Sunny Beach.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really would like to know where one could get hold of an up to date map of Sunny Beach. Even those on the Internet are out of date due to the constant and extensive building work, and the renaming of hotels.

The forward planning I would do is to look at the Foreign Office Travel Advice for BULGARIA.

Look particularly at the section entitled Road Safety and the paragraph commencing "Take care when driving, particularly at night .."

All I can say is that at least the situation appears to be improving. Now it only warns of bad roads, poor driving standards and run-ins with aggressive armed drivers. In 2005 it was warning of hijacks at gun point, as well as the still mentioned criminals impersonating police officers.

In short, the Foreign Office do not recommend driving by night, and they don't even mention poor maintenance standards by even the well known car rental companies and inadequate insurance cover for the unwary.

Just another thing to bear in mind. The Varna - Sunny Beach road is the main Turkey to Romania highway. Extend it further at both ends, and it's one of the drug smuggling routes from Afghanistan into Europe.

To anyone still planning driving from Varna to Sunny Beach at 2am, all I can say is "Take care!"

Peter
Hi Zurrieq.

Just read your post if there is anything you want to ask about driving in Bulgaria feel free also about car hire and the roads, the other side of the coin so to speak not only the scary side
Hi Mondeo,

But this time, please admit you were the stunt double for Steve McQueen in 'Bullitt'!

Peter :wink:
Hi Peter.

I'll only admit that if you admit that the only reason you don't like the idea of driving in Bulgaria is because you can't bite into a Yorkie. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Come on Mondeo,

Most of us prefer a Shopska Salad to a Yorkie. :wink:
Hi Baldur.

Agree with that but one of the problems here is that the nearest Turkish shop to get cirenae is 25 miles away and the tins are to hard to bite through. Still at least the accomodation is booked fro this years excursion to the place where cirenae is readily available :lol: :lol:
Tonyt has spotted THIS story. (Thanks Tony.)

It's why if I was to drive in Bulgaria I'd be wearing me avatar gear.

Peter
Hi Peter.

Just read tony's post and the novinite article maybe thats why I dont have any problem while driving out there (I'M not Bulgarian) :lol: :lol: :shock:
But you are a highly experienced professional driver used to driving for a living in foreign parts.

That's why you have no problems, probably find it a piece of cake.

Peter :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.