Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Prague
117 Posts
February is really cold, but if you wrap up well you wont feel it, as emmarushuk said it is probably the best time to be there. I've been in February, May and December and to be honest its great whatever the weather but you cant beat it cold and sunny looking down over Charles Bridge.
We stayed at the K & K Central last August - it had recently opened - it is very modern, nice striking colours, good breakfast, and serves until 12 at weekend!. The only problem we found that our bathroom was extremely small - maybe it was just the room, but there was barely enough room for one. Though it did have underfloor heating which was new to me. It's a good location, near the Powder Tower and the start of the Royal Mile.

Though we returned this August and booked instead at the Cloister Inn, which I would highly recommend, though not the same star rating, of course.
Hi all.

Me and a group of friends (6 in total) are going to Prague in November (1st week).
Is it worth to try to find an apartment or an hotel is a better option (price and quality). We are not looking to spend a lot of money.

What about the weather and daylight? Can we get a decent view of the city on this time of the year?

I heard that most attractions are closed this time of the year. Is it true?

A last question? We want to visit a few other places outside Prague. Should we rent a car ou are their good trains to get us where we want.

Thank you all for your help.
You should be able to find an apartment or cheap hotel. Have a look at http://www.venere.com for the dates you want.

November weather could be anything from cold, bright and frosty to raining. Hours of daylight, similar to here. It's an all year round city, so everything should be open and Prague is particularly wonderful floodlit at night. There are sufficient indoor attractions for rainy days. We've been in December and loved it. Unfortunately you'll probably be a little too early for The Christmas markets.

Can't answer on public transport out of the city - withing the wider city area it is very good. If you do hire a car, you certainly wont want or need it while you are in Prague itself.
Hi just back from Prague and found the train service excellent, very cheap and punctual and easy to use for trips out of the city. Our previous visit was in late Feb. and then almost everything, except maybe gardens, was open. Just check before you book as some do close for short periods but it seemed more like Jan/early Feb the ones I remember closing.
Definitely book an apartment - far better value for money. I have used http://www.marys.cz and found them very good.
Thank you all for your helpfull comments.

We'll certainly enjoy it.
Besides the Christmas markets, the restaurants and the bars and walking around sightseeing, what else can we do or visit, (especially during the day) we are there for 4 days, can we take a boat trip on the river etc, and I take it that the Castle will be open ?

Polly
Manxpolly...

There's loads of info on Prague.....here

hope it helps..boaz
Thank you Boaz it does, quite fancy the evening cruise down the river and the medieval trip.

Polly :D
Hi Polly

We've been in December and loved it. The castle will be open, as will most museums, etc. You should be able to find all sorts of concerts, puppet theatres, etc. Have a great time, Maria
There is enough to do for 4 days in Prague, even if the weather isnt too good.

If you get a nice down and want to get out of Prague, Terazin is very interesting, most of the travel firms do trips, or you can go independantly.
I am currently thinking of taking my partner to Prague just before Christmas, however, the maximum stay I can manage is 2 nights. Can someone advise me is this enough time to stay in the city?
Hi Dpaolo

You may also like to post your question in THIS TOPIC in the CITY BREAKS forum.

Pippy :D
2 nights will only be enough to convince you that you'll have to go back again and again and again.

But 2 nights is definitely worth going for.
We have been back for well over a month so thought it was time I did a report so here goes.

We used the airport shuttle which took us directly to our hotel, we had a very chatty and informative driver who gave us some tourist speel on the say. Our hotel was lovely, The Arbes, nice friendly staff and clean with a good sized room, I was abit worried that the area we stayed in would be too far out of town, but I need'nt have worried, we were fine, there was a metro stop just down the road from the hotel and we were 5 stops away from Wenclas Square. We were surrounded by restaurants, cafes, shops and pubs. We stayed in Praha 5 and were a good 5 min walk away from the Staropramen Brewery which incidentally was within spitting distance of Big Sister which was the club (brothel) featured not so long ago on TV about stag nights (it just looked like another hotel. We tended to walk everywhere or use the very good tram system. We visited all the tourist spots and I must admit the Castle was spectacular and Charles Bridge had a very mystical feel to it. There was a lovely cafe/pub at the beginning of the bridge to your right that had the best mulled wine and lovely decor. I loved the food which was very reasonbly priced although I must admit that it tended to be on the salty side. The beer and wine was cheap, especially in some of the smaller pubs we found off the beaten track, 40p for a glass of wine in one place which was full of locals, was nice as well. Worst pub we visited was an Irish pub (with apologies to any Irish folk reading this) something O'Reillys in a street off Wenclas Square, loads of signs and advertising but it lacked atmosphere and was boring, in fact apart from the Christmas markets and all the christmas lights at night Wenclas Square itself was quite disappointing, the Jewish quarter and Old Town was much more interesting and had more character. One down side was a mexican restaurant/pub in the area where we were staying, we were not eating but there were menus on the table, one menu (cheaper) for the locals and another menu (dearer) for us tourists.

We had a great time in Prague and would definitely go back there, I would like to see it in the summer when I could sit outside some of the cafes and people watch.

Polly
great report polly! Sounds like you had a great time! I agree about Wencelas Square - I had had a totally different image of it in my mind until I saw it!! But I loved the Old Town Square and Jewish Quarter. Agree totally too about Rocky Reillys - I squirm when I see those "Oirish" pubs in lovely places like Prague and Budapest. Been to Prague twice - first time in Feb and last time last Sept and it is totally different alright in warm weather but lovely at all times!
Thanks for that good report .We are off to Prague next week for three nights and have rented an apartment on the old town. I shall certainly try some of the those pubs off the beaten track . The weather is looking not too bad for next week. I shall report when I return.
H i there

Am going to prague in june for a few days on business and hope to have some sightseeing as well.
Any tips
What currency to take
Price of gigs and booze to bring back
Best place to eat. MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

BIGJAY
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.