Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
snowing in prague
117 Posts
We have been for the last 2 years between Christmas and New Year, the first year the weather was lovely, very cold but sunny, the second year it was lovely as well, just in a different way, it snowed from the moment we got off the plane till when we got back on it 3 days later.

As great as it is at first, and a different Prague appears in the snow, by the end of 3 days we were ready to get away from it.
Been to Prague twice over last two winters.

December 2004 [around the 6th] was great weather. Chilly, but reasonable with sun all through the weekend. Christmas markets were just starting and the lights switched on. Had a great atmosphere about the place.

Also went in January this year. Absolute freezing! Minus 18 in the evenings, around minus 10 during the day! Was still a superb long weekend away though [went specifically to see Depeche Mode at the Sazka Arena]. Snowfall before we had arrived and looked great on route into Prague. Once in teh city however, the snow is cleared as it just turns to ice in those temperatures.

Ive booked again to go this December, 13-16th. My 4th visit in 4 years!

You'll love Prague. Cant go wrong.
Thanks Mods :D
I'm a she btw :wink:
I know one the moderators has commented on this hotel but has any one else stayed there recently?

Phil.
Always seems to get good reviews and always at a good price.

I'd stay there if I wasnt good enough at hunting down deals for the Marriott and Renaissance every time I go !!
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Can kids of 10 go in to a bar in Prague ? If yes, does anyone know of any suitable for children at night.

Thanks in advance
planning a 4 day break in prague for march or april next year.can anybody tell me what the weather will be like then
We wentgat the end of April and it was beautiful for three days and rained for one. On the nice days it reached about 27c and even when it rained it was still warm.
I've never been to Prague but we have booked to go from 28th Jan - 1st Feb next year. I've only ever been on beach holidays before, so it's gonna be really different and I'm really really hoping it snows, as I have never seen real snow before!!!! I'm so excited but also a bit worried that I'll be disappointed as I really wanted to go to the Christmas markets but can't get any time off my work in December so that's out of the question. So I just need to know if there will be enough to see and do for 4 days while we're there or if I've made a mistake by booking to go this time of year.

xxx
Although Prague does have Christmas stalls I wouldn't say there are loads of them particularly. For specific Christmas markets atmosphere you are probably better off with Germany or the Netherlands.
thinking of going to prague at easter,have read that some of the tourist attractions,eg the castle, cafes,restaurants are closed on easter monday.would like to know if this is the case and is it worth going to prague for the easter weekend,also can anyone recomend a good hotel in prague 1 or 2
We stayed in the Coister Inn Click Here for a review and also the hotels website.
We have been to Prague at Easter and I don't think everything is shut on Easter Monday. You will find Easter decorations in the old town square and Easter markets with painted eggs, etc. It is worth a visit then. We've usually stayed in the Waldstein (or it's cheaper annexe)

http://www.avehotels.cz/hotels/wald.html
What can i say about Prague, breathtaking. The scenery food and people are great. There was a few exceptions tho, the lady in the hotel who said this is not a bank to my wife, when she asked them if they change the czech money to sterling . I took the hotel to task tho, and said your a bank tho when it comes to changing sterling in to czech A simple no we don't do that will do. Plus the older generation are a bit on the grumpy side , I get the feeling they were occupied by the Nazis then the Communists and now the tourists. Plus we noticed they have a major dog poo on pavement problem , they really need to sort that one out .

All in all tho this was the best city break iv ever had. The food was great and we never eat in a duff place. The best was this Czech pub and restaurant. Knuckle of pork with sauerkraut and we had dumplings etc . We went to this place twice. Pics are in the gallery, its the place with the accordion player. We walked most of the time and only took the tram once, that was to catch a bus to a town called >>LIDICE<<, (pronounced Lee Dee Za).

We could not believe how cheap it was, we were eating in restaurants twice a day and the average price for the three of us with beer and soft drinks was £15. Found a pub selling pilsner for 52p a large glass .

Anyways here are the pictures, there's a lot cos we did a lot of walking. We walked around five hours a day .

http://www.dustysworld.net/photogallery/PragueFeb2007/index.html
Fabulous review and pictures dusty. We had a weekend in prague last year and would love to go back and do more outside of the city. how far was lidice , im assuming there was a town there as well as the memorial. also didnt know you could go inside the clocktower.looking at your pictures it looked like you could climb to the top :?

lyn
Hi there, Lidice is not far out of the city, about 20km. you take the A22 or A56 bus. It has a new village and the old one is where we were walking. I love history and made this one of my things to do before we went . Not much to do there but i get caught up in the sentiment of it all and loved it .

Yes you can gain entrance to the clock tower via some glass doors, Its not signed posted very well and you could easily be forgiven for not knowing. I only found out cos I'm nosey and brazen enough to just walk in and ask.

One more thing In the Mala strana aiea you can take a tram that resembles a a ski lift up the hill. The views are breathtaking and a posh restaurant halfway down. We never ate near the town square and found a few places of the beaten track. If your looking for old fashion basic Czech. you cant go wrong with this place http://www.usvejku.cz/ . Some of my pictures are in this restaurant. I really liked it there .
That resturant looks familiar dusty . is it along the road where you get the lift up the petrin hill ???. we were staying further along that road at the julian and enjoyed a lovely morning up there on our last day. caught the lift wondered around up the top then had a wonder back down the scenic way in the snow . had a hot chocolate at the posh resturant too but it was so hot in there i couldnt wait to get out :(

lyn
Really enjoyed your photos dusty. :D

I went about three years ago with a group of friends, but it's made me want to go back with my kids, your daughter looks like she is having a great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.