General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I went into Thomas Cook to see what the exchange rate was and if i would have to order currency, even though we are not going till the end of July :pele , it's our first time and were very excited.

She mentioned the American Express Travellers cheque card. She said you can load it up with your money and then use it in sharm (They have just introduced it in sharm)where you see the american express sign. she said you can use it at the atm as it comes with a pin number to withdraw money and it doesn't cost as much in fees as if you were using your debit or credit card. she said it can also be used in shops and resturants where the american express sign is shown. Also if you lose your card you will be sent travellers cheques to the value straight to your hotel. :hmmm

It sounds a really good idea in principle but how user friendly is it?

Do the ATMs in Sharm have American Express on them??? And how many shops /resturants accept american express???

Has anyone took one of these cards over there???

I don't want to put all our money on this card to find out we can't access it.
I would appreciate any feedback / experiences about this card.
Elaine
Hi Elaine :D

There was an interesting debate on these cards in the General holiday enquiries hints and tips forum. The subject was called Pre-paid Mastercard and I think its dropped onto the second page now.

You might find it interesting. Some people were for them some against. I didn't know you could use them in Sharm now.
Thanks for replying

Thats why i had a few reservations as the travel agent said that it had only just been introduced into egypt. I'll need to find out a bit more about it i think before i get one.

Thanks for the tip. I'm off to read it now!!
Hi Elaine like you I have been interested in the pre paid cards. I was advised direct from American Express last week not to take there pre paid card to Luxor as they have being problems with the ATMS. I have also had this confirmed by my local Lunn Poly and Thomas Cook Travel Agents. The only new advice that I have has been from Co-op Travel and Going Places. The Pre-Paid card that the have is run via Visa and at the moment the cards are free but they charge 1% to load it with sterling and also they are due to change the cards on 6th June 06. The Travel Agents have told me that as from this date the current card that you have will expire and a new one will be issued.

Hope this helps.

ps these cards are through travelx which does have a web site :wink:
*Edit topic moved from Egypt and merged with existing topic Briar
Thanks for that. That's what i was concerned about. We are going to sharm so i don't know if they are having the same problems there but i would have thought so.
The Prepaid Master Card, whilst very similar to the new American Express Travellers Card, is not quite the same. The Prepaid Master Card bares the *Mastercard* symbol and as such is accepted anywhere in the world where the Mastercard symbol is displayed.

American Express is not accepted by many places in the UK still and therefore as the American Express Travellers Cheque Card is still a fairly new idea, you may find it will not be accepted widely in Eqypt. But you should have no problem using a Prepaid Mastercard either to make purchases or to withdraw money from ATM's.

Both cards are prepaid cards meaning you load your own funds onto them, however, with the American Express Travellers Cheque Card you have to load a minimum amount, not sure what that is, sorry. Thre is no minimum limit on the Prepaid master card.

The only places at the moment where it is not possible to use a prepaid mastercard is at 'Pay-At-The-Pumps' Petrol filling stations. Apart from that is can be used to make ATM withdrawels, Purchases and for On Line Shopping etc.
Just read this topic and im with jackie tenerif...doesnt seem any difference between this card and a bank debit card....nicole
just to let anyone know who is going to spain and thinking of buying an amex card i wouldn't my sister in law couldn't use her while we was there in july after buying the card through thomas cook . we went in to thomas cook today and was told that they have now stopped selling this card to be used anywhere in spain so if you get it offered from elsewhere don't take it
strange that.as somewhat an expert on cards(well i have egg,amex,nationwide,barclay and rbs mastercard not even mentioning the 4 or 5 my wife has)i've never had a problem with any of them in spain/portugal.
I got one of the american express tavellers cheque cards in june and thought it was great.
There was a free offer so mine cost nothing up front. I had to put a min of 350 euros on but did get a slightly higher exchange rate Once you have the card there is no min amount you must put on.
I had no problems using it in Spain be it in shops restaurants or cash points.
Were going to Cyprus in 2wks however we have been advised to get another card. Ours as it was for Spain was used for Euros and we need sterling or Cypriot pounds for Cyprus. We could use the existing card but would loose out on the exchange rate. The cards are now £20 to buy but you still get the higher exchange rate and extra security etc etc. We will be buying anotherone as i found it great x
Have to agree with Gazza! I have had a prepaid mastercard for about 3 years now and I much prefer it rather than a credit card. I have a solo debit card and its not accepted everywhere but mastercard is therefore its the best choice for me. Even if I did have a credit card I couldnt afford to pay it off in one go like some of you are lucky enough to be able to do. So in this instance my debit card is NOT like my prepaid mastercard.... Im sure there are a lot of people in the same boat as me and are very glad that a prepaid card is available. Other than the amount I pay every month (which if I was a smoker wouldnt buy me a pk of cigs) I dont pay anything else. It doesnt cost anything to load money onto it and where at the start you had a reload card you now just hand your mastercard over to load it up. Brilliant idea and you know when you come home there's no bill around the corner. Its not for everyone but then again a credit card doesnt suit everyone either.

:tup
Just to let you all know there is another prepaid mastercard out there now. I've just got one from CAXTONFX which is part of Newcastle Building Society (caxtonfxcard.com) please note I have no link with this company so am not trying to promote it lol. There is no charge for the card (you pay £10 deposit on application but this is added to the balance of the card) and you can get it in sterling, euro and dollars....the rate is slightly better than the high street.

The advantage for me over my debit card is that my card is an RBS solo card and not everywhere takes it....they also charge to take money from an ATM if I use it abroad.

Haven't used it yet but from what I can see there are no charges at all. You don't pay for loading it...you can do this either online, over the phone or by SMS, don't pay for ATM's (well not on the euro one if using abroad...although a fee is charged to use it in the UK) and no monthly fee either. You can get any money refunded after the holiday too (subject to a fee) and the card lasts for 2 years.

We're going to Rhodes in September and hope to use it there...will update when I get back if we have any problems.
I have read this thread with interest,I have a Pre Pay card which I use on the internet,after having my Credit Card cloneded 3 times using it in the UK I stopped using it anywhere.I also read that some pay off thier credit Card in full every month,some credit card compines are stopping the card of those customers as they dont make any money out of them just give them free credit.
Given the news regarding the demise of the Electron card for getting 'booking fee free' flights with some of the lowcost airlines and the move towards Prepaid Mastercards has anyone applied for one of these cards to retain the no cost 'booking fee' ?

I'm looking at the Escape MasterCard prepaid.

I seem to believe that the initial cost is reasonable at £9.99 to apply for the card, loading money is also good value and has various options at various costs, online use is free (?) but I read somewhere (and now cant find it) that the card only lasts 12 months and you have to renew / get another one. Has anyone purchased one of these cards and is there an annual renewal aspect to it ?

Can anyone recommend any other cards / provide some weblinks and or their views - many thanks.

Chris
Hi John,

Just for my clarification - the only Cantonfx cards I can find are currency cards typically for use in shops / ATMs etc and not for online spending. If there is one hiding out there that is an online transaction one - please let me know what its called !

Thanks Chris

PS the pre payment Mastercard thread mentioned by David has been around for a few years and seems to be in need of some new blood - so maybe I will try and get something moving on that thread soon !

Chris

The CantonFX FAQs state that it can be used online as well as over the telephone. Under 'Where can my card be used ?'

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/faq.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

So in theory, if a Ryanair payment is classed as overseas then it should be completely free of card charges.

John.
Thanks John.

I guess their recommendation of the Caxton FX Global Traveller Card for Sterling priced flights is the one to go for. The flat fee of £1.50 per transaction is not unreasonable compared to the lowcost carriers booking fee charges.

Have you got one of these cards and used it yet ?

Has anyone else applied, received and used their prepayment Mastercard card to book a flight following the Electron demise ?

Regards, Chris
Chris,

I believe that paying for Ryanair flights MIGHT be free - no charges for overseas transactions and Ryanair are in Eire ????????

John
Got an 'Escape' Prepaid Mastercard this morning, normally I do this kind of thing on the internet but popped into Phones4u and picked one up - they were pretty helpful. The card is active for 3 years.

One aspect I only appreciated after I had it was that the financial limit, either £650 / £1650 / £3000, this limit only depends on what you go for, is the maximum spend for the calendar year and not the maximum amount the card can be loaded with at any one time. Go over the limit within the year and the card 'will cease to function'.

Just made our next Ryanair booking this morning with the Electron card, probably used for the last time. Look forward to trying to use the Escape card for our next flights.

Regards, Chris

Anyone else used a Prepay Mastercard for booking lowcost flights yet ?
Hi Chris,

Did you have to order your card a few days ago, or did you just go into the store today and get the card?

I know you have to pay for it, but do they need to send your forms away and print your details on the card?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.