Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
I've never seen anything vaguely resembling British cigarettes at either Varna or Burgas airports (although my last time using Burgas was 2004, so things may have changed).

As an EU traveller, you won't be able to buy Duty Free goods either in UK or BG airports.

There is a Bulgarian Customs limit for importing or exporting more than 200 cigarettes and a UK limit of 200 cigarettes from Bulgaria on your return.

Any 'British' cigarettes that you see in the resorts are almost certainly fakes and reportedly taste horrible.

Baldur
I've never been inside Burgas airport, but I can advise that from reports I have read, there's a chance you won't find the shop open so don't rely on it.

Apart from which, remember you can only bring back 200 cigs, and as for perfume prices that's going to depend on which of a long list of brands you want.

A tip - if you are flying with a Bulgarian airline such as Balkan or Hemus, you should find British cigs and a selection of perfumes for sale on the return flight.

Peter
we passed through bourgas airport in 2005 i brought bensons from the shop inside the departure lounge.they even took a mix of lev and stirling.the customs were pretty hot on their searches looking for fags and booze but that was before you got into departures. :roll:
As you say that was in 2005. What happened then is no longer relevant.

Things have changed, Bulgaria joined EU this year and regulations changed.

Patka
Can you tell me what regulations have changed since Bulgaria joined the EU as there is a lot of confusion around this topic :hmmm
Hi Lubo 25,

Many laws & regulations have changed since Bulgaria's accession to the EU - most of which would probably be of no interest to you at all.

The only confusion appears to relate to the quantity of cigarettes which some people thought that they would be able to bring back to the UK from Bulgaria, as it is now an EU member state - this is unchanged under current Bulgarian law & UK Revenue & Customs rules, as permitted by EU Customs & Taxation Directives, i.e. 200 cigarettes per person of the legally specified age.

There is no Duty Free regime between EU member states.

If you need more specifics, please ask.

Baldur
Hi Buldar,
Could you tell me if i am still restricted to bring back gifts to the value of £145. Also how much perfume am i allowed to bring back. Do the hotels still retain your passports on arrival in order to register you with the local police. I have been to Bulgaria three times before, the last time being 2006, and was wondering if this rule still applied.

Cheers! :wave
Hi lubo25,

See HMRC guidance information HERE & HERE, no specific mention is made regarding gifts or perfumes. As there is no longer any duty free regime between EU member states, you will have paid tax, including 20% DDC (VAT), on any purchases in Bulgaria.

If you have not flown since last year, note the EU-wide hand luggage/liquids/creams, etc., security restrictions HERE

There is no longer any requirement for EU citizens to register (or be registered) for a stay of up to 90 days in a 6 month period.

Baldur
Hi lubo25

The Yavor Palace did retain our passports for a day last month. We did still get a registration form from the hotel to show at the airport.

Liz
They obviously had not caught up with the new legislation, Liz - the Consular Section of the Bulgarian Embassy in London's reply to my query about registration prior to my visit this March is as follows (my emphasis):

"Please note that holders of valid ordinary passports and ID card issued from one of the EU countries (including UK (British Citizen Passport Holders only) do not need a visa to visit Bulgaria and stay there for 90 days each time. During this time visitors do not need to register at a police station. However, British Citizen Passport Holders and other EU citizens, who wish to stay longer and live in the country, should within the space of the initial 90 days stay apply for a Bulgarian ID card and permition to reside in there at the local Police Station at their address in Bulgaria.

Kind regards,

Visa Section
"

My passport was not required or retained at the hotel at which I stayed, neither was a registration document issued or required at the airport.

The Yavor Palace was obviously still using the provisions of Law for the Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria (which no longer applies to EU citizens) rather than Law for Entering, Residing and Leaving the. Republic of Bulgaria of European Union Citizens. and Members of Their Families.

Baldur
Prices are reasonable at this Airport, Yes you can buy some British cigs now, eg, L&b, Superkings I noticed these for sale in the furthest away shop the one in the centre is more expensive but check both for that, This Airport is very small and expect delays outside of it, We queud for 1 hour to get into it, Dont take any liquids into it as these will be confiscated at security as all your hand luggage is screened, Oh and when you arrive at Bourgas do go to the Tobacco/perfume shop beside where you collect your luggage, here you can buy Duty paid cigs in packs of 200 to 320, I bought the ones called Rockets 40 in a pack 320 in the carton for 12euro.
  • Edited by rwb46 2007-06-02 19:37:57
Yes you can buy some British cigs now

Only if it is open and beware of relying upon it. Much depends on the time of your flight, and other variables summarised by a shrug and "Eta B'lgaria!"

Peter
i bought my 200 cigs from the second shop not first one and have to say they are ok bit stronger than normal but fine none the less. Also bought some perfume jean paul gaultier and that too is great! cheaper than england by a little. but not much to buy anyway
I had 600 cigarettes in my case bought at Newcastle airport on the outward journey.My case must have been x-rayed as at Bougas airport a burly customs man wanted to know where I had bought the 600 cigarettes in my case!.When I told him Newcastle airport he let me through to departures.This was before they joined the EU.
Hi Jay Trip,

You won't be able to buy duty free cigarettes at Newcastle, or any other EU airport now, when flying to Bulgaria - your boarding card will show that you are going to an EU destination and any attempt to purchase duty free goods will be refused.

Baldur
I realise that but I am just pointing out what happened to me in 2005 just incase anyone was thinking of buying more than 200 cigarettes.They were for an old aunt and after that incident we no longer buy them.I just thought it was strange that he knew how many cigs were in my case.Were our cases marked?because when we got back to Newcastle our cases were held back and along with 2 other couples were not sent up until all the other cases had been claimed.We all had our cases searched and I think they only let us through customs because I just realised Ihad lost the ticket for the car park!.
I had 600 cigarettes in my case bought at Newcastle airport on the outward journey.My case must have been x-rayed as at Bourgas airport a burly customs man wanted to know where I had bought the 600 cigarettes in my case!.When I told him Newcastle airport he let me through to departures.This was before they joined the EU.

Quoting examples from the past is irrelevant to the situation now. For a number of years it has been illegal to import more than 200 cigarettes into Bulgaria.

Anyone who gets away with it is lucky, but the Bulgarians do have a tendency to make the rules up as they go along!

Peter
Peter thats why I wont be going back!.
I only smoke menthol cigarettes, and last year was able to buy them at Manchester Airport obviously this year I wont be able to, I was thinking of taking 400 out with me (these were bought duty free from spain) I have tried the bulgarian menthol and they arent very good. I would split them 200 in each case, would this be ok does anyone know
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.