Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
PROTARAS
479 Posts
Ian, well yes see last post.. :lol:
Hello guys,
I'm deliberating on choosing either Protaras or Tsivilli in Zante for a weeks hol around the middle of Sept.

Can anyone shed any light on costs in Cyprus, average 2 course meal ? price of drinks in the bars, supermarkets etc etc, also would it be cheaper getting a taxi from airport as oppose to paying tour operators transfer costs ?

All help suggestions appreciated

Thanks
Danny
Hi Danny,

Having been to both places in the past I'd have to say Protaras is slightly more expensive.........but Cyprus is far nicer IMO and the weather should be hotter too in September.

You might want to look at this for an idea on prices:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=96737
Hi There,
Get Protaras booked, i am going for the 8th time in September, i stayed in Tsilivi in sep 2005, it was raining a lot of the time, the beach was full of rubbish. I wouldnt go to Tsilivi again if someone payed me to. I spent £800 pounds in two weeks in Tsilivi, and i spend about £950 in Protaras both self catering. One night we were sat on our balcolny in Tsilivi wishing it was Cyprus. We Went to Kafelonia last year and that was gorgeous, and we would go again, but we always return to Cyprus.
We too have been to both places. Both are very nice, but whilewe were in Tsilivi we found that we were always comparing it to Cyprus...and Cyprus won every time :)
This is, of course, only my/our opinion
Tha nks for the info so far folks,
I've just come back from a week in Lanzarote (been 5 times) and we fancy trying somewhere different.
I've been to Laganas in Zante, but want something a bit quieter and someone recomended Tsillivi
I liek what I'm hearing about Protaras, and had a quick look at the rising star apartments,
Can anyone recommend any others, i'd like a decent view and central location...also is it 3 hours flight ?, would £500/£600 be enough spending money for a week for 2 ?

Thanks
Danny
Hi Danny316,
I am staying in the Alva in September and paid £1078 for two weeks S/C with Thomson, these are only 2 mins from Fig Tree Bay and are in a prime location. The Rising Star are nice apartments, and also have a look at the Golden Star opposite which is right on the beach. In my opinion the Lantiana is one of the nicest places to stay, but it was a bit too expensive for me this year as i have been to Fuerteventura already. It is usually about 4 hours 30 mins to Larnaca, but i suppose it depends were you fly from, for me its usually Manchester or Birmingham.I usually spend £1000 in two weeks, so you should enough if you take £500-600. The Vangelis are ok, i have also stayed in Ketsios, Sunrise Beach Kapetanious Bay. This year will be my 8th visit, i am by no ways an expert but you do learn a bit going so many times, so feel free to ask if you want to know anything.
It's a 4 - 4 1/2 hour flight depending on where in the UK your flying from.

Spending moneys an emotive subject, what one couple could survive on isn't what another could. As I've said in another post the only advice I give people is to budget as if you were going out every night at home in the UK for a meal and drinks.......that should give you a rough idea as the prices are comparible drinks wise (you just need less of them :wink: ) and food is cheaper for definite.
Swaying more to Protaras now than Zante, how far/dear is it in a taxi from the airport ?
I will try to DIY the lot (I usually do) and then check against travel agents prices.
Larnaca is the nearest aiport ?

Thanks again for the help
Danny
I agree if youve got it you can always spend it, things like 2 weeks of paying for sunbeds and parasols can add up at 6cyp a day. drinks in most resorts anywhere are on a par with home, and if you like going on trips etc. The last time we were in Protaras we had breakfast in every morning. We used to go to the supermarket in Paralimini by bus, it was much cheaper. Lunch and evening meal out every day. The only trip we went on was to the water park this cost roughly 50cyp. We drank every night. I am a bit sad but i had to have a newspaper every day, us brits are a sucker for it, a bit of a rip off. We could have cut down a little bit, but we always have enough with £1000, and always take are plastic friend just in case.
Larnaca airport to Protaras should take about 30-35mins, return taxi fare is roughly 90-100 english pounds, but that is only one site i have found, you could probably get it cheaper. Someone told me about a site called Sunmaster holidays and they are very cheap.
You can book a taxi with a local company and they will pick you up. Fare one way should be no more than £30.
return taxi fare is roughly 90-100 english pounds
:o

I've just booked a private transfer for friends to Protaras last week and we paid £64 GBP return in total :wink: It would have only been £57GBP if they were not travelling between 8pm-8am which is slightly dearer.

Have a look at http://www.grabthatcab.com they come highly recommended. Alternatively even if you just jumped in a cab at the rank at the airport it would only be £30CYP approx each way
Hi, As a family (2 adults in 30's - 3 kids 15,12 & 7) we would love to try Cyprus, especially Protaras. What we are after is a place central to strip and beach (less than a mile - due to my back problem). Accomodation to s/c or b&b, great pool with daytime activities. I have looked thro' brochures and spoke to travel agents - but they just keep offering AI or H/B (I hope I dont sound fussy - but I like the kids to be entertained during the day and go out at night for meals and evening entertainment.
Thanks in advance :lol:
Have you had a look at the Rising Star Apartments or the Vangelis Apartments? Have not stayed at either of the above (going to the Rising Star in a couple of weeks) but they do get good reviews. Our friends stayed at the Sunrise Beach Hotel last year and had a great time (b/b). Not sure what activities were available during the day at the Sunrise. There are loads of places to choose from s/c or b/b. Have a look at the brochures and for the ones you fancy have a look at the reviews on here or ask in the forums.
Thanks Tekki, not got those in my brochure so I will check it out. Thanks again - have a nice holiday.
not sure who does the Vangelis, but Direct Holiday / Airtours /My Travel group do the Rising Star and I think Thomas Cook and others do the Sunrise Beach Hotel.
Have stayed at both the Vangelis and the Sunrise Beach and booked with Olympic, who were good, with good prices.
Sunrise is 4* and in lovely location being right on the beach. Booked B&B there and S/C in Vangelis. The Vangelis is over the road from the Sunrise (both central on the strip) and with nice sea views in the front apartments.

Kezza 8)
Tekki,
Could you leave a review as we are going here next May.
Thanks,
Cazz. XX

PS we booked through Airtours.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.