Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi
I'm flying MAN-DOH-ATQ in april and was wondering if anyone else has been on this route or is due to go on this route?

How easy it to get to your connecting flight in Doha?
Can someone explain the yellow and green boarding cards? I read QA's website and it left me a little confusing.
What's the food like?
Does everyone get an amineties bag? If so, what does it contain?
Would it be easier to check-in online and drop luggage off or check-in at the airport?
It should be very easy connection and my experience is quiet good with Qatar Airways, the food is very good as well.

You could request your meal, many to chose from as well.

Could someone who been after 19th Dec 2010 tell me how does this colour coded boarding pass work?

What if you want to get out in Doha instead of flying to your end destination? Can you do that?

Does every one gets off the plane use the same bus but gets out at a specific bus stop ie Yello for Transfer Terminal? and Blue for Doha?
Qatar doubles Manchester service

Qatar Airways will add a second daily flight from Doha to Manchester on June 1.

The twice-daily flights are a mix of morning departures to Manchester, with the return sectors in the morning or afternoon.

Qatar said the service is designed to capitalise on the increasing number of connections through Doha.

"Manchester has long proved to be one of our successful routes so it was only a matter of time before we could deploy additional capacity into this market," said chief executive officer Akbar Al Baker said.

With permission from Travelmole
There are rumours (unconfirmed, but from a source within Qatar airlines.) That qatar airlines are looking to buy the slot left Vacant by Czech airlines and have another flight out of Heathrow each day, this slot would be around 6.30 every morning.
Brief report of my experience with Qatar,

Flown most of the middle eastern carriers and they are a cut above European and a big cut above the US carriers. The Aircraft are all very new with good IFE and attentive crew.

However on all our flights the food was well below that offered by either Emirates or Etihad and Doha Airport is a joke. While they are building the new terminal your experience will go like this. As you land you will not be directed to a gate but a very remote stand where you will be bussed a long way and I mean up to 20 minutes to Dohas purpose built temporary transit terminal.

Long queues to clear security and a hectic duty free and some overpriced cafes are all that await.

Make sure you are at your so called gate in plenty of time because another long bus journey awaits to your connecting flight.

Once it is finished I am in no doubt Doha will be a world class hub until then it should be avoided like the plague much like Dubai a few years ago until the new terminal opened.

Such is the speed of Qatars expansion but boy is that oil money buying some nice new shiny aircraft.

Papa
Just to put Papa right Qatar does not have Oil money!! Qatars money comes from Gas.
And if Papa has ever had to walk from a landing gate in Dubai to baggage reclaim,buy food and drink in DBX, Qatars airport as is now is as good if not better.
Qatarman,

Thanks for the correction. I have transited through DXB on many occasions and agree the terminal can be a nightmare getting to your gate due to the design of the terminal. Not had experience of baggage reclaim although did overnight at DXB once.

However the point I was trying to make was Doha is not the finished article and I for one hated the long bus journey to and from your flight.

It may be better for arriving passengers but for transit not in my experience.

Papa
Anyone been to Qatar or transit in Doha since 19th-Dec last year?

I wonder how the color coded boarding pass works?

Does it still work like the same old way, everyone boards the same bus from the plane and leave either at

a. arrival terminal (for doha)
b. transit terminal (connection to other flights)

Or is it still ONE stop to all of that?
can anyone offer some advice please, my husband and i have booked a package holiday via virginholidays.com online, we are travelling to thailand in 2012, our flights are operated by Qatar and not Virgin atlantic, is there any way I am able to contact the airline in order to express our seating preference, as we have a 7 digit reference number at the moment that neither qatar.com or virgin atlantic will recognise online. i understand that when virgin holidays use partner airlines instead of virgin atlantic, there is no way to pre book allocated seats, but we are only able to make a general request- is this correct? this is fine as we only want to request a window seat after discovering the seat pitch to be pretty acceptable in economy so we dont require extra legroom etc as we first thought we would -any help is very much appreciated, thanks to all in advance.
emmacat,

It might be an Amadeus reference number you have. Try entering your details and if it is, you'll be able to retrieve your flight reference numbers in order to use it on Qatars website. The last time I travelled with them, everything was administered via Amadeus.

Darren
Emmacat. You can call Qatar Airways in either London or Manchester and request your seat numbers if you are unable to do it online.
darren, thank you for all of your help, very much appreciated as usual, qatarman, thank you also- both very helpful, as it transpires, we have been able to book or at least request seating after contacting virgin for our 6 digit reference :tup
Just got Silver status in Qatar frequent flyer club.

I know this gives us lounge access in Doha but does anyone know if it entitles us to use the Lounge at Manchester?
Papa,when you check in at Manchester check in at the Privilege Club desk and they will on you showing your card give you Lounge access.
Thanks Qatarman. Had no idea they had a privelege club desk at Manchester.

Papa
signed up for a privilege card a couple of years ago with Qatar. Having never used airmiles or the like before im not sure how it all works. According to my account i have 4834 qmiles and it states i can spend them at duty free in Doha. So the question is, how much are these airmiles worth ? :que
billy bluenose wrote:
how much are these airmiles worth ?

In reality, not a lot. A flight up to 2,000 miles for example requires 15,000 miles. 4,834 miles won't buy you much but might be a nice discount off something you've been wanting.

Darren
cheers Darren, didnt think it would be much and was thinking along the same lines as you in maybe would be a nice wee discount on something.
Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.