Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Rabies Jab
11 Posts
Ideally YES! BUT! I think cost about £100? There is a real risk of being biten, scratched or even licked (on broken skin) by an infected animal, more so out in the sticks than in the main tourist areas but there is definately a risk! There have been tourist deaths attributed to rabies. I understand that if you do get exposed there are quick treatments available but again a problem if you are away from immediate medical assistance, and maybe not 100% guaranteed. I don't take anti malerial or anti rabies medications and rely on using common sense and caution to hopefully prevent. But the advice has to be yes! It's you're life after all !
we were advised to and did have the rabies jabs last year (£100) each!! and were also told that sometimes they use outdated and cheap after anti serum tteatment when you have been bitten taken from pigs brain (I think it was)?? read back on last years posts as i cant remember what it was but anyway can cause encephalitus so we thought better safe than sorry being there so long and so many dogs, The BMJ do recommend it now for anyone travelling to Goa for over 4 weeks ...obviously cos the dogs know your only there for a short holiday otherwise and dont bite you!!! :rofl
chilly
Best not to tell the dogs n cats how long you there for! :lol: :lol:
we have never got rabies jabs BUT be careful.............. i always stick by advice constantly droned into me as a scottish child growing up in kenya......dont approach any animal you dont know! and if you are unfortunate enough to get bitten or get any sort of scratch/skin break from any furry beast whilst over there get medical attention and advice IMMEDIATELY!
The course of 3 jabs does cost approx £100 but it lasts for 3 years and then you only need a booster jab. Not sure of the cost of this but off to the Docs at 3.30 today for said injection.
If you do get bitten even after having had the injections it is important to seek medical help at once. Wash the wound with anticeptic solution or alcohol.
In Goa help can be found very quickly but if you are travelling off the beaten track then I think having the jabs are more important.
Thank you for your advice , you too thirdstage , as I am flying to Goa on monday , tell me can I get the jab overt there ?
A word of warning... did anyone see the programme extraordinary people this week, it aws about the one and only person EVER to survive rabies and believe me it was horrendous, they say if you dont get treatment in 1st 24 hrs or the 1st symptom appears you are dead, no cure at all, this was world experts on the subject and frankly makes you think a whole lot seriously about this subject there is certainly no room for complacency i am just watching it on sky plus now and its very frightening indeed not to be taken lightly under any circumstances and having watched it i am glad i have had the jabs and would not go to Goa or any where come to that with out it only two countries are now free of it, sweden and one other and they say it is a certain death sentence
chilly
Re Booster Jab. Cost £24.40 and gives cover for 3 more years.
Ok convinced , Chilly or anyone do you know if I can get the jabs over there ? It's to late to have it here as I am flying out on monday and it takes a month to have the full course ....
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.