Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I wouldnt pay that amount of money. People may call me stupid, but i think its just down to common sense whilst your over there not to get bit. Ive been more than a few times to Goa and on every visit i see tourists petting the dogs/cats like they would to their own animals at home. Its beyond belief, and then they'll complain when they get bit, or in the worst case, infected.
Me an my Dad were out jogging one morning last year and my Dad got bitten by a dog on the back of his leg, then another man the next day by the same dog and he was just walking by. They both went to the doctors immediately and had the after rabies jabs. I agree, common sense is all that is needed you should get any bite or scartch treated straight away. I still love Goa and all the dogs though and we weren't put off going out jogging this year!!!!

Donna
XX
Bet that was scary, id be scared getting bit off a dog over here, bet it felt 10 times worse being away from home and in a foreign country. Im glad it hasnt put you off jogging, but can i ask you a question?
How did you manage to jog in Goa anyway? its far too hot! lol
Maybe its just me, im lazy. I was lazy all holiday actually, the most i did was go for a swim.
I think that's why the dog bit my Dad, he couldn't belive his eyes either, someone jogging in Goa, we had to go out at 0730 in the morning it was slightly (only slightly) cooler then 8)

I only went jogging so it would make me feel better about all the kingfisher I would drink later in the day :D

Donna
XX
we were staying in goa when the local man living in benaulim died from rabies this year , there was also another man from the same village bitten by the same dog who was very ill and was taken to a hospital in bombay for anti rabies treatment ,

we also spoke to a tourist who was scratched by a cat which she was'nt petting by the way , she went to a hospital and started a course of anti rabies injections ,

the problem is'nt only caused through petting dogs and cats they can attack you when your not encouraging them , rabies is also carried by monkeys and bats ,

we plan to have the rabies shots while out in goa this season its cheaper than in the u.k does anyone know the cost ? anita
My local health centre informed me that as long as you could be able to source anti rabies treatment within 24 hours of being bitten or scratched there was no reason to get them done here, and if I was insistant, the cost of the injections would be down to me, As medical help is available in Goa I took his advice on this and did'nt pursue the matter. Alan
I Went walking every morning at 7 o clock, and the dogs would just coming running up and jump and snarl at me. 1 came from behind and bit back of my leg. 1 local guy came and rescued me 1 day by picking up the dog in his arms and carrying him away. Brave man! I thanked him, but didn't go that way again. They also come at you in packs! I ended up taking a can of mossie spray with me, and spraying at them, seemed to put them off a bit! Please take care!
I often go out walking on the beach very early and have noted that the dogs seem much more aggreesive at that time. During the day whan there is more people around the dont seem to bother you, but first thing they seem much more territorial and take exception to you passing their patch, especially if you are walking fast or jogging. A stout stick is more important than a pair of trainers!! Can anyone explain this bad behaviour first thing? or are goan dogs not morning people. Alan
All the rabies jab does is buy more time - an extra 24hours I think but you still have to follow the same course of treatment as those that don't have it. Our GP in England said we didn't need to have it as long as we got treatment asap after a bite.
The local people who have died here in Goa generally haven't got treatment - last year an English woman - 34 I think - from Lancashire died back home after being bitten in Goa in May. It was all in our local news and really sad. We presume she didn't get a course of treatment as there are very few deaths once treatment is started. It is also depends on how close to your head that you get bitten due to the nature of the rabies virus - a bite on the leg gives you longer time to get treatment whereas a bite on the neck or head gives less time.
Last year two people died in Germany from a corneal transplant! Not that I'm obsessed about getting rabies or anything but theres loads of information on the net.
We always do what the locals do and pick up sand to pretend to throw at the dogs - they seem to back away quicker than when we carry a stick.
I am vaccinated for rabies but I have this habbit of going forward to dogs etc when travelling in India, and in other places too!

I would say all vaccinations should be considered as an investment. It's a pity not everyone have that access as many of us do :(
diplomacy
As matti says even if you have been vacinated back in the UK before you travel if you are bitten by an infected animal you still need treatment. But from my research it would appear you have a better than 75% chance of survival if you have been vacinated prior to travelling as opposed to a less than 30% chance if you have not had a jab.(or 3)

Incidentally you are unlikely to find an infected dog on the beach as another word for rabies is hydrophobia ie a fear of water.

We have always had the injections as we travel to other parts of India some of which can be quite remote, and if we were bitten by a monkey at some temple or shrine we would want as large a time window as possible to get treatment.

I asked the original question as the jabs only last 3 years and I now need to be inoculated again. So if anyone can point me towards information that will convince me I dont need them I would be greatful
you might find this thread interesting reading.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.