General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I am really concerned over this report as I am going to the same area in goa, has anyone ever had a rabies injection prior to a holiday to prevent the chance of contacting rabies.
Wow that is scary. I should think most people use some amount of sense whilst overseas where stray animals are concerened. I personally find it difficult not to stroke a dog or cat I see, being a big animal lover, but do try to avoid whilst overseas. Can you catch rabies from Cats does anyone know - I shold think so but not sure???
I'm an animal lover too but I do try and keep away from animals on holiday just in case :?

Any mammal can carry/transmit rabies but you're most likely to catch it from dogs, foxes, bats, monkeys or cats.

Further info HERE
The lady who died was scratched by a puppy on a leash, We have always fed the strays in Goa, but not anymore.
I am going to contact my G.P as it seems it is now reccomended to have have protection from rabies if travelling to these areas.
Lin, I'm going to get in touch with my doctor this morning to see what they say about the situation. If you get in touch with yours, can you report back on what they say so we can compare what guidance is being given out?

Sharon :)
Hi Shaz, the receptionist was very surprised when I enquired about a rabies jab, I have to ring back thursday, when the nurse is in, Did you have any joy.

Lin
Hiya
Yep I called in today, and it was a total waste of time. The receptionist rang through to the nurse/doctor, not sure which, and this was the advice that was relayed to her.
You can only get rabies if you are bitten by a dog. If you are bitten by a dog with rabies you are in trouble! (No, I don't believe you, I was thinking to myself :roll:) They don't offer any injection at the surgery and told me I had to get in touch with the Liverpool school of tropical diseases. Tried to phone them today but no answer.
Will report back if I get through tommorrow. Remember to give us an update on Thursday Lin, I'm getting more info about the situation off here than anywhere else.

Sharon
Yes Shaz I am expecting more or less the same reply, the article from the bbc news site as posted above by pippy advises travellers to India should be vaccinated, will keep you posted.

Lin
Wen't to the surgery today armed with the article from BBC news, the advice I was given is they dont do rabies vaccination, but if you are bitten or scratched you should go to a hospital WITHIN 24hrs. They kept the article to look into it further.

Lin
Rang that number and got a recorded message. It advised that if I need any further info re injections and the like, then I need to speak to a practice nurse at my local doctors surgery. Alternatively I could phone an 0906 number and get further info from there (calls cost £1.50 per minute, with no indication of how long the call will last!!) What do they think I am, made of money.
I'll keep watching this post for any further advice. and then go back to my doctors.

Sharon
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.