Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Ramadan
10 Posts
It will have no effect on you holiday at all, we have been during the same period and didn't even know until someone told us.

Dave
That's right, it will have no effect on your holiday at all, you probably wont notice at all.
yup as stated it wont make any difference, prob you will notice that those who are doing it because obv they will not be eating drinking smoking etc and in the evening you will prob see them eating together where poss or at least this is what my hubby normally does!this year its earlier too, in aug around middle i think so it will be harder for them because obviously this is hot weather......i did it for a day with hubby so i could empathise with him,it wasnt so much the hunger as the thirst and he coudlnt even brush his teeth or anything either......long time to go from maybe 5am until 6-7pm, personally i dont think ite very healthy but its his belief n religion so who am i to say eh!i admire him for doing it though, it takes some willpower i feel and it would so easy just to give up, hardly any my hubbys pals do it but for past 2 years he has!anyways sorry im rambled on as usual lol!x
AAM, I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with the not eating, but August in Turkey, it's got to be hard not to drink
From my experience of living here over 13 years now..in the touristic area I cannot see nothing that will affect your travels or trip druing Ramadan...Not all turks observe the fast or traditions...and with arriving early every year by 10 days...it falls closer and closer into the touristic summer season...It is a wonderful time full of celebrations....
Here is a page that wil answer almost everything you want to know about travel during the Ramadan times in Turkey..just clink on the links I have provided..

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Religion/ramazan.html

The Festival or celebration at the end of Ramadan is called Åžeker Bayram . Also keep in mind the day before the beginning of the holiday some places ( local shop keepers ) may also be closed early on that day.

All banks and government offices will be closed during the holiday so make sure that you have taken care of any of that buisness before hand..here are the dates of Ramadan.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Religion/ramazan_dates.html

and for those who do fast all the more power to them as I certainlly not go all day without water especially in August !! :sun2
Was in Marmaris last year during Ramadan and they had decorated the main square with a huge Turkish Flags made of lights and there were decorations all over the place, some looked to me like xmas trees! But apart from that lovely atmosphere and the gorgeous celebrations...nope didn't notice!
aam, my husband used to fast too when we lived in Turkey, as you say it's not so much the not eating that I would find hard but the not drinking. I drink lots of water all day so I would really struggle with that and there is no way I could not clean my teeth! It was easier when we were there though as it was later in the year so my husband used to sleep really late then stay up late and eat and 5am in the morning.

He doesn't do it now we are living in England though.

Kedi
hey again kedi :) yes i remember my hubby and me being in hatay few years back and thats what he did lol, no wonder its so bloody hard! he is adamant about keeping it again this year even though it will be early..............ooofff! hopefully we will apply for visa soon for him to join me here, he says even when here he will keep it :duh so fair do's as long as he dont want me to do anything lol, i remember in 2006 when he done it i was working on boat in marmaris at the time doing 4 days a week and on my days off he liked to wake me and go to restuarnt to eat together (despite me not wanting to eat at this time lol cos i would eat later-ended up liek 2 brekkies :rofl ) it was nice experience though,seeing them all sit together to eat n stuff then we would go home again he would wash and pray, its nice to see i must admit, even recently when i went for a week he went to mosque so obviosuly i sat outside-well actually i peered in window to watch him!!! hes only recently started to be religious again lol, praying 5 times a day now :que have to say found this hard when i went lately as he would be like if you dont touch me then after dinner i can pray again without washing but id forget n touch him :rofl drove me crazy!!!anyway im rambling as usual!x
My husband isn't particularly religious, just when it suits him really ;)

He used to fast in Turkey but it was a lot easier when everyone round him was doing it too, now he is in England there would be no-one to go through it with so it would be much harder. He does fast on odd days if he is home though as it makes him feel a bit better for not doing the whole thing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.