Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
ramadan
11 Posts
The first day of Ramadan this year is likely to be around the 23 September - whether it is or not will depend on the weather in Saudi Arabia on the day because the month of Ramadan starts when the new moon is first sighted from Mecca and ends when the next new moon is first seen. According to the astronomical tables Friday 22 is the date for the new moon here and my diary says that the first day of Ramadan will Sunday 24th but I think that this is the predicted day for the first fasting day here. On that basis as the next new moon is due to appear on Sunday 22 October, Ramadan will finish on Monday 23rd and Eid Al-Fittr will be on the 24th.

SM
I have just received a letter from our friend in Tunisia who advises me that Ramadan starts on September 24th, but as SM says - it all depends on the appearance of the moon on the actual day. I have also been ordered to arrive for our winter stay a week earlier than arranged, so that we can celebrate Eid on the 24th October. I know from past experience that everyone will be tuned into the Saudi TV channel as the time approaches to get the timing right. Jenny.
Unfortunately I'm going a bit too early this year so will still catch Ramadan but miss Eid. :roll:
Don't worry Aslemma, I will do my best to celebrate for both of us . Thinking of you with every mouthful I take! :lol: (true friendship indeed!! :wink: ) Jenny
Thanks Jenny, I knew I could rely on you :lol:
Hi everyone we are going to Port el Kantaoui on 11th oct as this is ramadam time my daughter is worried that everwhere around the marina ...shops and restaurants will be closed after 8pm ish.
Please can anyone tell me will any be open or do they all close.
We are going all inclusive so presume everything in the hotel will be normal including entertainment.
Thanks for any help in advance.... :D
It is in the hours before sunset that there are some restrictions on Moslems during Ramadan, though these don't really affect visitors much. They are not allowed to eat, drink or smoke during the day, but in the evening everything reverts to normal. The only things visitors may notice are that many cafes do not serve food at outside tables during the day though you will be welcome to sit inside, and taxis can be difficult to get between about 4.30 and 6 when the drivers hurry home to break their fast. Life in the hotels isn't affected, though sometimes one of the TV's may be showing religious programmes (in Arabic of course).
hi we were told by our tour guide to a mosc that ramadam is a week earlier each year. so in so many years time it will be right back in the middle of summer.....
Hi

This year Ramadan started on September 24th, next year it will start 11 days earlier. Our visit this year co-incincided with the last 8 days of ramadan.

The first time we visited in 1987, it was ramadan in May!

I feel quite sorry for these guys going without water during the scorching heat in July and August, which they will have to do when ramadan starts in August in only 3 years time.

One of the receptionists at our hotel told us to go to the Medina in Sousse after 9pm at night, and we were glad we did as the atmosphere was incredible, so many stalls set out in front of the normal shops (some of which were closed at this time). We were the only white faces there for a while, and it was great to be there to see this tradition. Apparently the medina was open for business until after midnight, but we headed home about 10.30pm. My abiding memory is of seeing an overflowing coffee house, with the men playing cards and drinking coffee and smoking and of course talking! I should say that we were there the last week of Ramadan, I think that the evening medina might only happen in the last half.

I was a bit doubtful about having a holiday during this time, but it didn't have a negative effect on our holiday at all.

mgb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.