Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Ramadan
76 Posts
MUBAREK RAMAZAN AYINIZI TEBRIK EDER
HAYIRLARA VESILE OLMASINI DILERIM
--------------*-*-*-*-*-----------------
i would like to greet your Ramadan and
i wish it will be bringing you favours

NOTE: Translation always means lost in meaning.
but sure this is a OK greenting message
Thanks a lot! thats brilliant. :D
sorry to show my ignorance but when does Ramadan start? Do you send a card before the event , like we send Xmas cards early?
Ramadam is early this year, I'm pretty sure it starts on September 24 and will last for 30 days.

I don't know an awful lot about Ramadam, but I do know at the end of the fast there are big celebrations - it's a holiday time everyone gets dressed up and goes to the mosque to pray, families all get together (I suppose it's a bit like Christmas here).

I know cards are sent at the end, but I would say the message Lefteris has written would be to welcome the start of Ramadam not the end.
Thats right Mazz,

When the end of Ramadan comes, a Bayram follows - this is Seker Bayrami, its traditionally 2 or 3 days at the end of the month of fasting when families celebrate, they dress up, go visiting, children get pressies and sweets (hence the "Seker" bit).

At the start of Seker Bayram, you could say "Seker Bayrami Kutlu Olsun" - it kind of means "Happy Seker Bayram".

Elaine
hi all.
on september 23 we will be fasting which means we will eat 4 o'clock in the morning and start fasting.
it will last for 30 days and then we will be celebrating "Seker Bayrami" or "Ramadan Bayrami" (second is more official name of the celebration)
familiy visits sending card (mostly texts) dressing up going to mosque.
children will get candies and some money :) (i remember my childhood now)
the verse i sent is for beginning of Ramadan that is correct!
any questions welcome.

Best Regards,
Mesut Caliskan
Hi All,

Staying at Concorde Resort, Lara Beach from 26th Sept 2008 for 1 week. Can anyone please advise if this is still during Ramadan and if so whether our holiday is likely to be affected in any way.

Ramadan ends 30th sep this year wont affect you except that on the 30th most shops will close for the day( including my business) here in Antalya but all tourism based places will be open.
Ramazan wont affect your holiday in any way apart from, as bryn says, there is a bank holiday at the end when places like banks, offices, post office etc. are closed for 4 days. Ramazan is a nice time to be in Turkey because it is a festival and although people are fasting during daylight hours they all go out in the evenings for meals. During the 4 day festival at the end it is a very happy time, people will give you sweets wherever you go and it is a lovely time for children.

Have a great time

Kedi
I was there last September, it has no effect whatsoever
Apart from the shops and banks being closed you'll hardly notice any difference. If you go to Turkish restaurants in the evenings of Ramazan there is a wonderful atmosphere as people crowd in and sit down to their dinner. The couple of places I've been to it was like school dinners, tables set out in long form type benches, large bowls of bread and large bowls of food to share between families. It all looks a bit manic but everyone seems to enjoy themselves.
As you are staying at Lara beach I wouldn't have thought you would notice any difference. The Concorde is very self contained and theres not much to do outside of the hotel, apart from a couple of shopping bazaars.
It is a wonderful hotel, the food is excellent, and there is free room service 11pm - 7am, free bowling etc. It is a luxury 5* hotel, with fab pools and a great beach. You will love it........ Denny
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help and hope you all enjoy your holidays this year.

Paula and Tony
Hi all,

Came across this forum today and it's been so useful already. Anyway, we're planning to go to Icmeler end August/start September and were wondering what effect Ramadan has on this resort/Turkey in general. Does everything close during the daylight hours? Or does it make no difference at all to tourists?

Cheers
CandM
It makes no difference at all to tourists.
As above.

No difference at all.

:sun2 :sun2 :sun2

Ekin Legend
Just the same you are expected to respect it ,by things like not eating in public ,by say walking along the street in daylight munching a bun or packet of crisps ,some restaurants will shade windows and doorways with net curtains so as to shield people inside who are eating ,the most devout muslims will not allow anything to pass their lips during daylight hours ,even smoking.

Bluepeterno1
Different this: Turkish people so composedly
Peter its your choice whether to respect others fasting or not - you are not "expected" to respect it however, especially in resorts, and even in cities like Istanbul.

As others have already said, in most resorts tourists won't notice any difference whatsoever during Ramadan. The restaurants will still be fully open and not curtained etc, and no-one will bat an eye if you're walking down the street in daylight eating.

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.